Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sticksdaman View Post
    Far cry from: "You've got to pay to play"

A few years ago this exact car wouldve been burned at the stake, but now its worthy of praise? I get that this is a tolerant community for lovers of low, I'm just starting to see a trend developing and I cant say that I'm happy with it.

I love low just as much as the next guy, but it seems more and more that people are cutting corners so much that the shortcut seems to be the only way. I used to see slammed e30's and say to myself, "damn I wonder what suspension he's on?", now I say: "I bet he's on cut stock springs"... and Im usually right.

What happened to waiting and saving up to buy something you really wanted? Are the days of delayed gratification long gone?

/rant

OP sorry for the clutter, keep doin your thing

Have to disagree, i think you are missing the point. It's not a personal attack on people who are modding with a tighter budget, this isn't a site of e-balling attempts and one upping.

DR steelies are cheap, and not uncommon, but they are a good for what they are, and aren't blatantly ripping off another manufacturer design.

As for as cut springs, its a little crude, but the rest of the car is well executed, and im hoping a better suspension is in the future. ( i think youd be suprised at how many cars are or have been on cut springs)

He's got good taste, and this, of all the cars popping up, is not the worst. Not by a mile.

Flickr

Comment

What point did I miss?

I never said anything about the wheels aside that personally I wouldve invested the same money on a decent suspension rather than wheels (assuming that he paid for them himself). My only beef with the DR wheels was that initially I saw some members shaving material off of their brake caliper brakets to clear the wheels (Not Cool ).

I've always been a fan of doing things in order. Spending money on quality suspension should come before purchasing any wheels.

Certainly isnt a bad looking car by any standard. I guess I think that such a good looking car deserves better, and I think thats where my initial reaction came from.

Again, my apologies...

Comment

LOVE the stance. Super on point.

Comment

What point did I miss?

I never said anything about the wheels aside that personally I wouldve invested the same money on a decent suspension rather than wheels (assuming that he paid for them himself). My only beef with the DR wheels was that initially I saw some members shaving material off of their brake caliper brakets to clear the wheels (Not Cool ).

I've always been a fan of doing things in order. Spending money on quality suspension should come before purchasing any wheels.

Certainly isnt a bad looking car by any standard. I guess I think that such a good looking car deserves better, and I think thats where my initial reaction came from.

Again, my apologies...

Fair, that mightve been a decent investment before wheels. Sadly though, 400$ gets you jack shit for an e30. Sure he couldve gotten JOMs or an FK sping/shock combo, but i doubt he would be happy in the long run with that. Neither go particularly low, and FKs are kind of soft.

I still see your point, i do think this car should have coils in its future. I just dont want people seeing the site as a bunch of assholes who are only accepting of wheels worth more than their cars.

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            Fair, that mightve been a decent investment before wheels. Sadly though, 400$ gets you jack shit for an e30. Sure he couldve gotten JOMs or an FK sping/shock combo, but i doubt he would be happy in the long run with that. Neither go particularly low, and FKs are kind of soft.

I still see your point, i do think this car should have coils in its future. I just dont want people seeing the site as a bunch of assholes who are only accepting of wheels worth more than their cars.

Im sure he wont be happy with heated stock springs in the long run either...

My gripe is I dont want to see the site that started out as a group of like minded creative individuals who were outcast by the traditional purist forums, turned into a site filled with people cutting corners trying to "fit in" at all costs.

It seems these days that you can buy ANY POS car, chop the springs, paint the wheels hot pink and everyone on teh internetz will praise you. Does the term "ricer" ring any bells? All I'm saying is that by embracing this, we have adopted it as part of our culture and deemed it part of who we are, and thats NOT what I thought this whole stance thing was about? Maybe thats the point I'm missing.

Yes, I know, this isnt MY site...
            Last edited by Sticksdaman; 01-13-2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Im sure he wont be happy with heated stock springs in the long run either...

My gripe is I dont want to see the site that started out as a group of like minded creative individuals who were outcast by the traditional purist forums, turned into a site filled with people cutting corners trying to "fit in" at all costs.

It seems these days that you can buy ANY POS car, chop the springs, paint the wheels hot pink and everyone on teh internetz will praise you. Does the term "ricer" ring any bells? All I'm saying is that by embracing this, we have adopted it as part of our culture and deemed it part of who we are, and thats NOT what I thought this whole stance thing was about? Maybe thats the point I'm missing.

Yes, I know, this isnt MY site...
              That is where you're wrong. This site is as much yours, as anyone else's. I like to think we have done a decent job in driving that point home.. that unlike a lot of forums, this is more of a community.

With that said, I do agree with you, in the idea that we aren't wanting our community to become a place where "throwing together" a build is viewed as acceptable. Not to belabor this conversation, but the running mission statement to our community is more about being a place "that is open to various styles, makes, and models of automobiles, all with the common goal of driving low." We all start at different places, and more often then not, most of our builds are a ever evolving process.

I think it's important that we recognize that builds evolve, and to acknowledge a build for that. I like what has been done to this E30, as far as the stage that it's in. I also hope that he has intention of evolving this build beyond it's current form.

Our community is made up of all types of builds in all various stages. Overall, the hope should be that we encourage people to continue to evolve their builds, and not settle for it's current stage, but do so in a thoughtful manner. If we can do this, StanceWorks will continue to be a great place for all.

Comment

you cant buy taste, I've seen guys spend a million dollors on a build.......... only to have it look like shhhhhhhsh. I'm not one for how much this cost and that cost, but does it look good...... and to me this car is one of the best e30s I've seen. and being a fan of the e30 and bmw as a whole I have seen quite a few. you so call big ballers are hurting the site, some people may be afraid to show there work for fear of not spending the big bucks. and I for one like to see what everyone is doing not just the ballers............

Comment

It looks good. The rear set up is a little too much for my tastes.
                  -Nick

Comment

Been Lurkin for a bit, joined specifically to ask a question about this setup, as I have been planning on picking up a set of these in a 15x8. I caught the info about wheel dimension and tires, but I was hoping to find out what the owner is running in the way of spacers/ camber set up. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                    X