Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SebastienPeek
    replied
    Love me a good looking Bora. Makes me want to get a mk4 again, you and Minty...

Leave a comment:

• gruz
    replied
    Update!

Just a quick one really, not much has changed. Still runs, few electrical issues, few mechanical noises, got the rear axle bushes changed, got a private plate. Sold the Mercedes wheels because I couldn't be bothered to run them, and I swapped the 9 spokes for these! Think I prefer them to the fat fives!

DSC06816-2048x1365

Doesn't look its best there, as good as @mehowski is at taking snaps, I didn't clean it properly and there's random bits of grass hanging on for dear life.

Oh yeah, and I got a new 4mo lip for it!

DSC06813-scaled

Thanks to @candyshowroom for the pics for this update!

Leave a comment:

• gruz
    replied
    Happy new year, and happy new lockdown to the UK lot!

So I've been waiting over the last month or two for my new insurance policy to start so I could finally get cracking for real on the Bora, and a hefty deposit sum later, and a couple more weeks of waiting on parts, me and a mate got cracking!

First, the wheels - Mercedes Benz 5 spokes, don't think they have a name of sorts, but I know they come off a CL class. 18x8.5J, 5x112 and I cannot remember the ET (might be 43). Sourced some used 20mm adaptors for cheap, and upcycled the 205/40s off the 9 spokes.

adaptor wheel

Secondly, the springs. I had my eye set on buying a set from BC Racing, but their waiting times are rather long, but fortunately, a fellow Bora owner was selling his as he's getting air ride. Cheaper, only a few months old and will come 3 weeks quicker? Result. 5" 24k fronts, and 20k 7" rears.

springs

I also had a Dausfab LCA extender kit to go on along with new track rods and ends, but unfortunately didn't get round to it because I wanted to get it aligned after doing that, and I'm still not settled on height etc.

Cabin filter, V-belt, and oil (not oil filter unfortunately, I broke the 6 point head on it) got changed too, getting the full service treatment for once!

cabin

Put all of that together and you get this! Ignore the fitment, the rears need some camber/archwork to fit the tyre under the arch.

finished front

But messing around with trimming wheel bolts, uncommon wheel choices and wheel adaptors also gets you this!

broken

Found out the handbrake was sticking, so I replaced the cable the morning after which fixed that problem.

cable morning-after

Turns out I didn't trim the wheel bolts enough, which was causing many noises and wobbles. But because this is a daily, I decided I cannot be arsed this week, and chucked the standard wheels on for the time being.

bolt

today

Back to square one I guess :/

Leave a comment:

• gruz
    replied
    Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
    Nice little daily!
    Thanks!

Update - still looks shit, and will do up until hopefully next weekend. Final piece to the stance puzzle as well as service parts being ordered tomorrow. That is all.

update

Leave a comment:

• SebastienPeek
    replied
    Nice little daily!

Leave a comment:

• gruz
    replied
    Quick update, even though at this point I'm keeping a personal diary haha

Fuel relay came in some very questionable packaging

relay

Picked up some 20mm adaptors rather cheap off Facebook, only a 45 min drive away

adaptors

And married up the tyres to the wheels! I'm happy with the stretch on it, should clear, be somewhat comfy and look good!

tyres size

Thanks for reading!

cold

Leave a comment:

• gruz
    replied
    Imagine waking up with the intention of having a productive day off. You take your old sub and wiring out, making good time, go to start your car and- nothing. That's exactly the position I was in on Wednesday.

A quick call to the RAC later, a bloke came armed with a multimeter and some other things, bridged a few fuses and I was good to go! He thinks its the fuel pump relay, so I've ordered one on eBay which should be coming this week.

rac

As well as getting some new-to-me wheels for the return of stance bora, a cheap set of MK4 early GTi (I think) alloys came up not too far from home. Decent tread left, so how could I say no! Looks like it belongs in the eastern corners of Europe with those winter tyres haha

winters

wheels

My new found love for the daily wheels didn't last very long though. A couple mornings of coming out to a flat tyre had me changing it for a spare yesterday, so a new-to-me tyre is needed regardless how long I'll be running them for.

dav sdr

As I mentioned, I was taking the old sub out to make space for a bigger sub that a close friend donated to me- I spent a whole afternoon doing the wiring properly, using a proper Stinger wiring kit and even tidying up my boot! Can confirm 12" is much more noticeable than a little 8".

sub

But that wraps it up for this little update. With Christmas a month away, I'm afraid progress will be slightly halted, but PCD adaptors and some spigot rings are a priority to get the wheels fitted up.
    Thanks for reading!

Leave a comment:

• gruz
    replied
    Last update I said Bora was going to take a back seat. Well, I thought so too, but one morning last week, when I was on my way to work, this little Christmas tree came early!

warning

Turns out the ABS and TC lights came on because I had somehow managed to rub through my abs sensor wiring. TPS wanted 62 quid for another loom, but a breaker (same one who I got my valance from) still had the same Bora laying about, and after a quick check on part numbers, they were the same! 15 quid and a trip to a trusted garage later, Bora had no more ABS or TC lights and a fresh MOT.

Now the engine light is a different story. It's been on/off for the last 10 months or so, and it was to do with the second lambda sensor/leaky exhaust/leaky flexi. Few months ago I had the leak welded, and then the flexi decided to properly rip open too. So last Friday I had the flexi and second lambda changed, but due to it being a VW, it was still throwing the light! I’m still unsure what it may be, but it hasn’t come on since Wednesday, so hopefully it's sorted itself out!

stance

In other news, Boras gone winter daily mode, sitting on a local vaggers standard wheels until I find a cheap set. Believe it or not, the rear is fully wound up, but the idf plates still cause it to tuck a bit of tread. The 9 spokes are been divorced from the tyres, and I will be getting round to repainting them over winter, as I did a bit of a cheap job the first time.

wheels

I’ve also had a few bits coded, like bleep on lock, needle sweep, miles to empty, windows on key, as well as removing the brake pad warning (these pads have no sensors). A bigger subwoofer is also going in, as the Alpine no longer satisfies, and I’ve got hold of a pop rivet gun to redo the speakers because they rattle and it's very annoying.

But that concludes this update- I’ve been oddly enjoying driving a motor that doesn't scrape on anything, but, of course, it's not the life I want to live. 2021, we go low again!

Thanks for reading.

kebab

Leave a comment:

• gruz
    replied
    A few weeks ago, I told you guys that I'll be paying £100 for a set of JOM coilovers to replace the leaky FKs on the Bora. That was the case, up until midday on that day, where I received a second chance offer email for a £150 set of APs I was bidding on. However, I didn't want to spend any more than that original £100 quid planned, so I thought I'd chance it and ask if he'd take £100.
    And he did! And as an added bonus, he was 25 minutes away from where I work. So after a Saturdays half day of work, I picked up my top mounts, and then the coilovers. Managed to get the top mounts under warranty too, so a few quid saved there.
    Armed with my mid range coilovers, new bearings, another set of Powerflex top mounts and a friend with his toolbox, we managed to borrow a ramp in a garage nearby (working in a motor factor has its advantages), and got cracking.

aps

I didn't realise how shot the front FKs were. Could play them like an accordion. The spring and top mount were covered in black oil. The only thing I kept from them are the front springs so I'd have a set to experiment with.
    Aside from taking 5 minutes to free the passengers side from the hub and struggling to angle the drivers side rear top mount bolt against the filler neck, it all went very smoothly. We tidied up the APs a bit, set them up all the way down on the front (didn't touch the rears), slapped it all together and dropped it down. Now I'll be honest- I wasn't expecting much in the first place. But there was a very considerable gain in height. Which disappointed me, obviously, because it meant I'd have to cock about with shorter springs. But it was nice that it wasn't the shock that was halting lows like it did on the FKs.

front-gapfront-setup
    rear-gap rear-setup

I took it on a spirited drive a few days later, and it made me realise how much I missed having a car high enough to drive without stressing about bottoming out, bashing subframe, cracking sump etc. It also handled really well, considering it has no ARB, and the driveshaft binding knocking thing has gone. But on the other hand, I think I'd rather sit nice and low, because it's slow and has no racing potential.
    At the time of writing it's been a few weeks since installation, and it's settled a bit in height. Better, but not low enough.

settled

Here are some shots I got with @t.a_visuals before the AP coilovers - didn’t have time to clean it because it was very last min.

ta1
    ta2
    ta3
    ta4

If I could get it sitting at that level again I’ll be a happy man.

But unfortunately, life has, once again, caught up to me, and the Bora is gonna have to take a backseat for a couple months. With Christmas round the corner, along with other things that have come up recently, I’ve decided to not order shorter springs, and put the car back to a much more OEM style while I get bits sorted for comfort. I’ll keep the thread updated if I do anything!

Thanks for reading x

Leave a comment:

• gruz
    replied
    Quick update!

Good news! I have sourced some of the finest German engineering in the form of temporary coilovers. Unfortunately, no wants to sell me just fronts, and if they do, they're 200+ miles away.
    Fortunately, this fine set of coilovers are only 40 miles away, and are costing me £100.

What brand, you may ask?

JOMs.

Oh yeah, Bora is going full budget.

However, I am a bit torn on what to do with top mounts- the Powerflex ones I have now are doing fine, have covered around 4k miles. I am unsure on the whole reusing thing. Blagging another set under warranty is an option. Returning them and buying the -10mm version is an option too. Getting OE top mounts is also, you guessed it, an option. Help!

I shall venture to the North East to pick them up this weekend, and will be hopefully slapping them on ASAP!

Thanks for reading

Leave a comment:

• gruz
    replied
    Originally posted by Jrs85 View Post
    Want to give you some ideas to make your car visualy interesting. Maybe some of them are on your list already.

1.Bora conversion to BOLF

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21603[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21604[/ATTACH]
    I did consider this - however after much consideration, I decided that I prefer the squarer front end of the Bora.

2.GLI US lights, smoked or clear

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21605[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21606[/ATTACH]
    On the lookout for rear lights at the moment - but those "candy cane" lights are very common, and I don't think they'll suit the silver. Probably going to end up going all red on the rears by tinting the indicator and reverse parts.

3.GLI or Anni bumper lip
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21607[/ATTACH]
    Wouldn't last 20 yards haha. I used to have a paint matched standard valance but got roughed up quickly. On the lookout for a 4motion valance, they are slighty bulkier but don't hang as low.

4.Front full straight bumper rubstrip without number plate part and US style side markers.
    This is happening as soon as I pull my finger out

5.Metal pressed plates
    Although not as bad as the dogshit "4D" plates, I don't think they look that tidy on UK plates.

6.Rear US boot for square plate
    Very rare - one of my fellow Bora owners came across one and his was pretty beat up, with loads of work needed. With the budget of this car, I don't think I can justify a US bootlid haha

However, thanks for the suggestions!

Leave a comment:

• Jrs85
    replied
    Want to give you some ideas to make your car visualy interesting. Maybe some of them are on your list already.

1.Bora conversion to BOLF

4fbc9acs-960.jpg
    2fbc9acs-960.jpg

2.GLI US lights, smoked or clear

Screenshot_20200928_141128_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200928_141140_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

3.GLI or Anni bumper lip
    Screenshot_20200928_141320_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

4.Front full straight bumper rubstrip without number plate part and US style side markers.

5.Metal pressed plates

6.Rear US boot for square plate

Leave a comment:

• gruz
    replied
    I would absolutely love to be telling you lot how I've ordered loads of new parts. Unfortunately, I am not. This thing desperately needs new front shocks. I would wait till I get a whole new set of coilovers, however, they're aren't cheap and I haven't got the money for them yet. A used set of fronts will have to do temporarily, and to pass it through the MOT in November. Just a shame I cannot find any locally.

Engine raisers and extended ball joints are on the to do list too- I would be ordering them on Wednesday, but with some insurance difficulties arising (again), I may have to wait till next month while I spend a few quid on essentially just making it legal to have on the road.

But here, here's a few pictures of the Bora in action. Couldn't ask for a better daily.

IMG-20200926-152548

IMG-20200926-172716

IMG-20200927-102853

sdr

If only it was a TDi :/

Leave a comment:

• gruz
    replied
    What size wheels you got ? In 2013 I had mad lowered MK4 GOLF I was running 18" silly streched 9.5J wheels on rear it was rubbing every time when there were more than one person in car. On front I had 8.5J it was okey only notch wasnt done and it rubbed driveshaft against frame. Affter 3 broken driveshafts I sold it. End of story
    18x8, notched frame and arb delete

Leave a comment:

• Jrs85
    replied
    What size wheels you got ? In 2013 I had mad lowered MK4 GOLF I was running 18" silly streched 9.5J wheels on rear it was rubbing every time when there were more than one person in car. On front I had 8.5J it was okey only notch wasnt done and it rubbed driveshaft against frame. Affter 3 broken driveshafts I sold it. End of story

Last edited by Jrs85; 09-21-2020, 08:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X