No announcement yet.

Dlux BMW E21 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tossing the open 2.93 in to see if you like the gearing better is a good idea. However, if you like it, do swap it out for an LSD unit at some point in time. Not drifting the turns doesn't mean you won't appreciate the LSD in a different situation. It has saved my stupid ass from overdoing it on rainy days several occasions already, so supposedly you'll like the extra peace of mind too.
    Maybe there's someone local to you that would like to swap their 2.93 LSD for your current 3.23 and you both will be happy about the deal. First try the gearing though.
    There's this other option, if you take the gear and pinion (is it called that?) from an e46 with 3.07 rear end, it can be swapped over to a 188 diff case (the one you currently have). This way you'll be in the middle. Seeing what you did to the car, I'm sure you won't have any trouble doing the work yourself. I believe that ratio is available in both a 323i and a 330i with a 6 speed manual.
    "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
    Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• Lots of options I suppose. Thanks for the advice.

3.07 might be worth a try too. I think that fits in the higher number ratios like my 3.91? If so, I could just build that diff too and try all 3 to see what I like. I would like to try the torsion LSD I have in the 3.91 to see what it feels like.

Comment

• The 3.07 shares assembly dimensions with 2.65, 2.79 and 2.93
        So unfortunately, you won't be able to swap into your current 3.91 or the 3.23 for that matter. Bummer.
        If we lived on the same continent, I'd be happy to help out and send you a part of my diff collection to play with.
        But yes, bottom line is you can put in the open 2.93 for the time being and see if you like it. Then you can either put back the 3.23, swap it for a 2.93 LSD or just buy a 2.93 LSD, OR find a 3.07 off an e46 plus either a 2.65 LSD, a 2.79 LSD or a 2.93 LSD and swap the gear ratios in it. 2.65 LSD only comes in diesel e34 though, not sure if they were available in the US. 2.79 and 2.93 came in both e30 and e28 with an m20b27.
        Good luck and please share more pics and/or a video of the car in action
        "You could roll an E30 in a BMW showroom today and people would think:
        Well, they finally got the 1 series right!"

3.0 L e30 ground up build

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik D_lux View Post
          And I just have to ask....

You guys that don't like 17s, are you millennials? Do you guys wear those tight girl pants and dress like hipsters?
          Lmao loved this.

Yes, it is kind of a millennial thing. The kids that like small wheels today are the ones that grew up in the 90's and 2000's seeing hip hop/gangsta chrome 20"+ spinners etc on anything that would fit them. The natural reaction to kids that are trying to be unique, is to go the opposite direction, and what better place to start than the JDM scene, where small wheels were so varied and interesting? (not to mention, unique)

Small wheels only became cool when we saw them get wide, on slammed cars. "Small wheel" guys are still kind of a smaller group though, and tend to get lumped in with the bosozuku crowd, which is another weird phenomenon.

Small wheels also allow to run a beefier tire size, which appeals to many. Low-profile tires are more likely to damage wheels on road imperfections, puncture/deflate easier, and are a harsher ride.

Comment

Dawson is on the left and youre on the right? Either way, I am happy to not see the tight pants look.

I dont understand your thought on the wheels. I dont understand how a bigger wheel hits the fender faster? I guess if youre stretching tires a bunch and the wheel is the widest point? Seems like you just need to put on a set of wheels/tires with correct offset and widths that actually clear? This setup I have now clears where as my 15s didnt and this is lower. Difference is all in offset and a semi stretched tire. My coilovers are the limitation but if they were not, I am confident I could lay my front and rear subframes on the ground and still have tire clearance. Thats all with running what I think is reasonable camber too.
            Dood if you have wheels that fit are you a TRVE stanceboi?

I don't know if my english is good enough to explain my thoughts, but if you try running fender to lip on those 17s, then try to run fender to lip on 195/45 and 15"s, you'll see my point.
            If tight fitment is not something you enjoy, then the wheel diameter/ride height thing obviously makes no sense
            Still think 15s are the best size on e21 looks wise, but hey I have 18s on my e36 and everyone says it looks better on 17s

FB: @DumbassCarCrew - IG: @fruttolo_dumbasscrew

Comment

Dawson is on the left and youre on the right? Either way, I am happy to not see the tight pants look.

I dont understand your thought on the wheels. I dont understand how a bigger wheel hits the fender faster? I guess if youre stretching tires a bunch and the wheel is the widest point? Seems like you just need to put on a set of wheels/tires with correct offset and widths that actually clear? This setup I have now clears where as my 15s didnt and this is lower. Difference is all in offset and a semi stretched tire. My coilovers are the limitation but if they were not, I am confident I could lay my front and rear subframes on the ground and still have tire clearance. Thats all with running what I think is reasonable camber too.
              Oh hi, that's me! I'm the one on the left (if anybody care) so drunk but so happy to be at the best meet with my best mates. And my friends keep calling me "hipster" I don't feel one of them, just a little bit different
              Anyway, back to the topic about wheels: I think is all about personal taste, for example I'm on the exact opposite of the spectrum, I love small wheels with meaty tires, so for me 17 on E21 are the worst thing ever, so I feel 17 (or even 16) are like "cheating" if you know what a mean... but hey I can still appreciate a good build when I see one!
              For the coilovers: you are running the BC one, right? I have the same problem but I want to go way lower than you do, so I can understand why you're running this wheels.

Comment

• Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                The 3.07 shares assembly dimensions with 2.65, 2.79 and 2.93
                So unfortunately, you won't be able to swap into your current 3.91 or the 3.23 for that matter. Bummer.
                If we lived on the same continent, I'd be happy to help out and send you a part of my diff collection to play with.
                But yes, bottom line is you can put in the open 2.93 for the time being and see if you like it. Then you can either put back the 3.23, swap it for a 2.93 LSD or just buy a 2.93 LSD, OR find a 3.07 off an e46 plus either a 2.65 LSD, a 2.79 LSD or a 2.93 LSD and swap the gear ratios in it. 2.65 LSD only comes in diesel e34 though, not sure if they were available in the US. 2.79 and 2.93 came in both e30 and e28 with an m20b27.
                Good luck and please share more pics and/or a video of the car in action
                Great info. Thanks!

I came to the conclusion that I am confused today. Drove on the highway again and the RPMs are pretty great. 2400ish at 70-75 is pretty good. I might try the 2.93 down the road but I have bigger fish to fry at this moment so I wont complicate things.

Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                Lmao loved this.

Yes, it is kind of a millennial thing. The kids that like small wheels today are the ones that grew up in the 90's and 2000's seeing hip hop/gangsta chrome 20"+ spinners etc on anything that would fit them. The natural reaction to kids that are trying to be unique, is to go the opposite direction, and what better place to start than the JDM scene, where small wheels were so varied and interesting? (not to mention, unique)

Small wheels only became cool when we saw them get wide, on slammed cars. "Small wheel" guys are still kind of a smaller group though, and tend to get lumped in with the bosozuku crowd, which is another weird phenomenon.

Small wheels also allow to run a beefier tire size, which appeals to many. Low-profile tires are more likely to damage wheels on road imperfections, puncture/deflate easier, and are a harsher ride.
                Yeah, I think thats right on point. I feel like small wheels are a fashion or a trend and bigger wheels (as long as they dont look oversize, I know thats perspective) are just a classic cant go wrong look.

Its a bit like womens fashion. Take a great looking woman, put her in a T shirt, jeans and a baseball hat (17s) and she still looks hot. Now, take that same woman, make her super trendy by putting her in those high wasted jeans and cut her bangs just above her brows and she looks like she is a bit off and no longer hot (small wheels).

emma-bella.jpg

Originally posted by Fruttolo View Post
                Dood if you have wheels that fit are you a TRVE stanceboi?

I don't know if my english is good enough to explain my thoughts, but if you try running fender to lip on those 17s, then try to run fender to lip on 195/45 and 15"s, you'll see my point.
                If tight fitment is not something you enjoy, then the wheel diameter/ride height thing obviously makes no sense
                Still think 15s are the best size on e21 looks wise, but hey I have 18s on my e36 and everyone says it looks better on 17s
                Ah, you hit the nail on the head! I will show my ignorance here so feel free to correct me.

Stance is mostly about the looks, right? Wheel to fender, tons of camber etc,.

What I am trying to do is not stance, its more about performance. I think I said when I started this thread that I might not fit in on this forum because I am not sure I am a stance guy. Not sure I am a BMW guy, not sure where I fit in....

I put my wheels inside of my fenders. I want my car low but I also want as much possible uptravel on my shocks as I can get. If I were running lip to fender, the 17s would be a problem for sure but even if I ran 15s I would still have problems, and would not be ideal IMO. My wheels tuck further than 15s would allow on the outside of the fender. I am much more interested in function over form.

Originally posted by DawsonLiri View Post
                Oh hi, that's me! I'm the one on the left (if anybody care) so drunk but so happy to be at the best meet with my best mates. And my friends keep calling me "hipster" I don't feel one of them, just a little bit different
                Anyway, back to the topic about wheels: I think is all about personal taste, for example I'm on the exact opposite of the spectrum, I love small wheels with meaty tires, so for me 17 on E21 are the worst thing ever, so I feel 17 (or even 16) are like "cheating" if you know what a mean... but hey I can still appreciate a good build when I see one!
                For the coilovers: you are running the BC one, right? I have the same problem but I want to go way lower than you do, so I can understand why you're running this wheels.
                Meh, you look fine!

Yeah, BC coils.

You have what problem?

Way lower than me? Man, I dont know how you guys do it. I have 2" of clearance under my sub frames. I have hit my skid plate 4 times (not too hard) already. I would get so stressed out all the time if I went too much lower and had to watch every dip in the road and destroy my car when I do hit something.

How much clearance under your subframes do you go?

Comment

Great info. Thanks!
                  Meh, you look fine!

Yeah, BC coils.

You have what problem?

Way lower than me? Man, I dont know how you guys do it. I have 2" of clearance under my sub frames. I have hit my skid plate 4 times (not too hard) already. I would get so stressed out all the time if I went too much lower and had to watch every dip in the road and destroy my car when I do hit something.

How much clearance under your subframes do you go?
                  Thanks man!

For now I have a ton of clearance under my subframe (much more than my daily, anyway), I'll take some measurement next time.
                  For the BC: I'm maxed out front and rear and I need some more cm for closing the gap for my 13 wheels. I drive it "hard" (if I can say so) and for now the only thing that I touch is the middle section of the exhaust...
                  And I'm worried about my oil pan before than my subframe.

Comment

• I wanted much better lights than the e21 sealed beams provide so I searched out for some E30 smiley Hella in smoked.

When searching the forums on how to fit these, I found that the middle mount goes right where it should on the E21 but the E30 left and right mounts are off. Looks like most either egg the holes out to get them to fit or make a bracket to get to the bracket.

While looking at the E30 lights, I figured that since the E30 has the same headlight spacing that the housings were the actual issue. What if I could swap the E30 lights into the E21 housings? Well, that wont work because there are too many differences so I did the next best thing. I took the E21 housings and drilled out the spot welds so I could get the ears off and then I did the same with the E30 housings. After I had the ears in hand, I figured out placing and welded the E21 ears onto the E30 housings. I dont think I am explaining this well so I hope pictures do the talking.

Both housings with the side mounting ears cut off

E21 ears in hand

Position the E30 housings on the car and get them aligned and then weld the ears onto the E30 housings.

All done. I love the smoked look! Great light output too!

The E30 lights have a "city light". This is basically a parking light inside the low beams. I dont really understand the point. I wanted to get fancy I suppose so I put black lights in there. LOL.

I also put LEDs in the turn signals. Its hard to get a good pic because they are so bright. They are like having another set of head lights and they are awesome in themselves because they light up the side of my car a ton and I can see everything before turning.

Comment

• the purple bulbs is mistake

Comment

• Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
                        the purple bulbs is mistake
                        Why?

Comment

• Putting colored bulbs in your BMW's headlights is like this:

Comment

• LOL. So people wont think I am cool? Shit!

I am going to do the build over so I can put 13's and white park lights in. Hopefully then people will accept me for the old man I am.

Comment

• Oh, and I will take out my 10" woofers too. Old people are too lame to listen to music with sound quality. Shoot, might as well delete all my music too since its old and not cool. Fuck, now that I think of it, I cant listen to new stuff either because its lame for an old person to try and fit in.... So, no music at all is the only solution..

Comment

• You need a record player since thats what is cool again. Along with some crappy speakers. Gotta make everyone else happy before yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X