(audi)tional problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (audi)tional problems

you ever wake up one day and think to yourself; my life is going way to easy right now?

Monday afternoon while at work i decided to peruse craigslist for another a4. Michigan winter is quickly approaching and the s10 was not going to do to great in snow. well i ended up coming across a post for $1500. 2 cars, a 98 manual that ran and 2000 auto parts car. both of which were 1.8t a4's. there really wasn't much thought put into the random searching.

Tuesday morning i had decided that i was going at least go talk to the bank about a loan. i really thought that they would tell me no. well, i ended up walking out of the bank with a small $1500 loan. i immediately texted the guy with the 2 cars and was texted right back saying that he was about to move them to a place close to my house. i hopped in the truck and drove out to his house, running on minimal time before work. the dude had the running car on the trailer, and the parts car in the driveway. he proceeded to tell me that the running car no longer ran. i had him start the car to make sure the motor wasn't seized and then went to leave for work. as i was leaving he told me that since neither of the cars ran now he would take $700. i told him that i would think about it, the price drop helped, and then i bailed to go to work. about 2 hours later i had told the guy to drop them off at my house, threw him $800 and i was the regretful owner of 2 broken b5 a4's.

once i got home i quickly realized that the parts car was just that. it had the core support off, no bumper bar, no bumper cover, several parts pulled off the probably now seized motor, etc, etc. but the 98 had ran recently and wasnt a horrible car. it would start up and idle but, the second you touched the throttle it would die. after about 3-4 days of swapping parts my buddies gave me we finally got it hooked up to vagcom and found out it had a misaligned throttle body...Fucking audis man...so with the car now running i had to work on getting new, matching wheels and tires. which brings us up to date. currently i am waiting to get out of work so i can mount up some b6 sport wheels and tires i picked up this past weekend.

im not much for telling stories through text so i do apologize if this is just god awful and/or boring. i'm very bored at work and this just helped me pass an hour.

maybe after tonight i can get you guys a picture of it outside the garage lol
    Last edited by storey618; 01-02-2018, 07:28 PM.

Originally posted by BozoBubble
    Stance bug bites hard, man, you ain't gonna shake it.

Truck Build

Instagram: somestancekid

well, last night she got new wheels and her maiden voyage. i learned that i have no lights unless i hold the high beam switch back, the front balljoints are completely shot, and theres a misfire/boost leak somewhere.

the previous owner left me a brand new oem light switch...now i know why. so i swapped that out today and i now have lights!

Last edited by storey618; 01-02-2018, 07:29 PM.

Truck Build

Comment

You just had to punish yourself and get another audi....

Ill be watching
      Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
        You just had to punish yourself and get another audi....

Ill be watching
        audis have a way of showing you how much shit you are capable of handling lol everyone should own one at least once...i just didnt learn the first time so, here i am.

Truck Build

Comment

good to see you back in an audi as much of a headache as it may be. youre making me wanna make a dumb decision, Ive got my brand new car but for some reason i really wanna pick up a project car without a plan or space to keep it and just figure it out.
          Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Instagram: @Ryandnt

Comment

Lmao, I always wondering if that's what audi owners asked themselves before purchasing one.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
            I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan. View Post
              good to see you back in an audi as much of a headache as it may be. youre making me wanna make a dumb decision, Ive got my brand new car but for some reason i really wanna pick up a project car without a plan or space to keep it and just figure it out.
              just go for it. thinking things through is overrated. i currently have like no room at my house because theres 3 non running vehicles in my driveway.

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
              Lmao, I always wondering if that's what audi owners asked themselves before purchasing one.
              i mean i can only assume lol we are a strange breed

girlfriend leaves for Florida tomorrow morning so ill have an entire week with zero plans except working on the audis. just placed my order with ecs for some neuspeed race springs. i dont really want to go too low with this car. however, i say that every single time.

plans this week are; swap upper control arms from parts car, install boost gauge for good, possibly paint wheels, and attempt to find cause of misfire. once those shenanigans are done the car should actually be road worthy and i can get it plated. springs dont ship out until the 5th so thats a project for another week/weekend

Truck Build

Comment

Ah the good ole B5 A4 trap. I've fallen for it myself and now I'll probably buy another one because I have so many spare parts and special tooling for the silly thing.

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

im not dead and the car is still around. truck is dying quickly, so i finally decided to just order new control arms and tie rods since i couldnt get them off the parts car. they should be here next wednesday and the following saturday im inviting friends over and hopefully i can swap everything. you guys will start getting updates eventually! ive been lazy and poor lately.

Truck Build

Comment

so not one of those cool "im back and the cars stanced af" kind of updates. but, i did finally start working on the car.

first i had to get the parts car out of my driveway. my dad and i loaded it up and took it to my grandparents. they live in the country and i live in a neighborhood so this is a much better place to keep it

the end result after moving the good audi into the garage was quite an improvement over the borderline junk yard i did have in my driveway

this morning i broke the pinch bolt for the upper control arms so i decided to just pull the knuckles off both sides. then i can take them to my dads so we can attempt to torch them out.

mostly apart

completely out, broke the abs sensor as well. audi decided they should be press fit. well press fit and michigan winters dont tend to agree.

also smashed my already smashed finger while trying to get the sensor out...so that was pretty not chill
                    Last edited by storey618; 01-02-2018, 07:29 PM.

Truck Build

Comment

B5s = pure punishment every time. Good luck sir.
                      Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
                      and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
                      S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

the audi gods took pity on me today!!!

now i only have to torch one side out. not much of an exciting post but, its exciting for me.
                        Last edited by storey618; 01-02-2018, 07:30 PM.

Truck Build

Comment

got the strut off the top hat. tried swapping springs while my dad is trying to get that pinch bolt out and ended up breaking my buddies cheap ass spring compressor. nothing went right sunday when i last wrenched on it and its been 40 and raining so ive taken a few days off. should have more ambition if my dad can get that bolt out.

Last edited by storey618; 01-02-2018, 07:30 PM.

Truck Build

Comment

Ahh good 'ole B5s, I sometimes miss mine, then I get into my BMW and notice that the throwout bearing doesn't whine when I press the clutch, the speakers aren't blown, and the heater works, then I don't miss the B5 so much

They really are fun cars though, can't wait to see you clean this one up! I would recommend swapping over the facelift doors and interior pieces from the 2000 car if you can. If you still have the single piece headlights, those will really clean up the front end of your '98

"Emmaline" B8.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro 6MT Build Thread
                            "Ophelia" MK7.5 Volkswagen GTI SE Performance 6MT Build Thread

MKIV Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0 5MT Coming Soon to a Forum Near You

RIP "Effy" E60 BMW 530xi 6MT [N52] Build Thread
                            SOLD"Adéline"B5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro 5MT Build Thread

Comment

It's coming along. Looking forward to seeing your progress. It's been a while since I've had a project car of my own so I might just live vicariously through you for a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X