One bad V12 - 1998 E38 750iL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gawd damn that's nice!

1963 850 - 1408cc, 45DCOE, 'S' 7.5" brakes, 6-point cage, blasted, Velo GPT-2's, rear beam

Comment

Colour looks pretty similar to an OEM one, not a bad job by the looks of it.
      www.matthewdear.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MattDearPhoto View Post
        Colour looks pretty similar to an OEM one, not a bad job by the looks of it.
        Thanks! There's an E46 at work that has a very similar color but I'm not sure what it's called.
        Steve - now in San Diego!

Shoot My Car - Automotive Photography in SoCal

Comment

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I deleted my rear mufflers last year. The sound was pretty decent - a bit more bass, and a mild roar when accelerating into the upper rev range.

However there's been lots of buzz (heh) among E38 owners recently about installing an X-pipe in place of the factory resonator (which is itself a sort of x-pipe; the two exhaust pipes are perforated inside of the resonator). I bit the bullet and purchased a stamped X-pipe from Amazon in the stock exhaust diameter; my thinking was that by not going to a larger diameter I'd avoid too much bass in the exhaust. I really wanted the high-end wail of the V12 to come through, without too much booming on the low end.

Well, I got the wail, but there is some low-end drone/resonance on cold start-ups and while driving at low speeds around 2000 rpms. I put together a bit of video showing me driving around this morning, along with a couple of full-throttle pulls towards the end. (Excuse my squeaky steering wheel clockspring). I think it was partially due to the exhaust dumping underneath the trunk, from where I'd cut off the stock mufflers originally. When the x-pipe was installed I didn't have them extend the piping back to the bumper (didn't think it was necessary at first).

(Click to 2:05 if you want to hear it from outside the car)

After recording this video, I went back to the exhaust shop and had them extend the pipes to the back bumper with 30-degree downturns. Didn't want to cut the bumper for exhaust tips as it would tear the vinyl. There is still a bit of a drone/boom around 2000rpms, but it is reduced from before and you can hold a reasonable conversation in the car again. The drone wasn't unbearable before, but it was louder than I wanted.
          Last edited by Aitch; 11-09-2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

We need more!

Comment

Great car.

Comment

These cars are way too cool, always wanted one. cant wait to see more progress

Comment

I ordered a new leather steering wheel wrap off of eBay. They only recently came out with the version for the 3-spoke M-Sport wheel, I know, I've been looking for 6 months lol. Perfect timing for Christmas. I was pleasantly surprised with the box it arrived in, with good instructions, double-sided tape to help installation, and the thread and needle all included.

Nicely labeled as well:

My existing wheel was ok, but the leather surface had delaminated.

I could have gone tri-color stitching with some foresight, but I wasn't sure how it would turn out and how easily I could do nice stitches, so I went all red. This way any mistakes aren't as glaring.

Overall it came out very nicely. It was REALLY tight to stretch over the wheel, to the point I think they could have a bit more material in there and it would still be fine. The edges on the side spokes are tricky to align and here too a bit more material would have been useful. But for $50 and my own time, I'm happy vs. what it would have cost a shop to do.

Comment

god i need another e38 in my life. looks god man.
                    IG: Dimitriantoniou
                    1997 bmw 328i vert: sold:http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55235
                    1997 bmw 328is: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69857

Comment

Working...
                    X