w124 Highschool Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• w124 Highschool Build

Inheriting my moms Mercedes 1993 300e 2.8, which she got from my grandfather (original owner.)
    Always wanted to slam a car growing up, and took awe to that whole "low life" lifestyle.

Here's a picture of the car:

Recently purchased a set of RS reps off craigslist with tires:

Test Fit:

Specs:
    F: 17x8.5 et20 215/40
    R: 17x10 et15 235/40

Plans:
    - Install a pair of DNA struts, if anyone has experience with these please let me know: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-86-93-ME...3D401107854590

- Install ford ranger shocks, heard these are awesome for an automatic low with the possibility of not having to cut springs

- Install either H&R sport lowering springs, or Vogtland. If anyone has experience with both, please offer opinions, thank you!

Very excited to further this build and see how much fun I can have with it, stay tuned!
    Last edited by sebvstien; 12-13-2016, 12:41 PM. Reason: Fixed

Pictures aren't working but it sounds badass!
    Some people will never understand it, why we do what we do.
    The busted knuckles and the late nights in the garage;
    it's more than a hobby or pastime, it's a lifestyle. We live it."

Instagram: @Stance_God
    My 93' EG Sedan Build ( Daily )
    My FC3S RX-7 Build

Comment

Thanks! Think I fixed it

Comment

Yeah they work now! Looks great man, I love that color green. It pairs really nicely with the chrome plating on the wheels. Can't wait to see what you do with this!
        Some people will never understand it, why we do what we do.
        The busted knuckles and the late nights in the garage;
        it's more than a hobby or pastime, it's a lifestyle. We live it."

Instagram: @Stance_God
        My 93' EG Sedan Build ( Daily )
        My FC3S RX-7 Build

Comment

Originally posted by sebvstien View Post
          Plans:
          - Install a pair of DNA struts, if anyone has experience with these please let me know: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-86-93-ME...3D401107854590

- Install ford ranger shocks, heard these are awesome for an automatic low with the possibility of not having to cut springs

- Install either H&R sport lowering springs, or Vogtland. If anyone has experience with both, please offer opinions, thank you!
          1: They look like aftermarket replacement stuff. You probably need stiffer (sport) ones as lowering your car will make them blow out prematurely. Heard lots of good stuff about Koni and Eibach.

2: Ford ranger shocks are useful when you ride on air, or scrape your frame staticly. Of you do neither of that, then I would suggest going for Saab 900 (not sure what year tho) sport shocks, or go for Koni/Eibach sports like suggested for the front.

3: I would go for H&R. But apparently Vogtland is quite popular in the States, so I guess they are fine?

Nice ride tho. Looking forward to seeing updates
          Lucas
          Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
          Originally posted by LCG
          High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

Oddly enough, I've owned both Vogtland and H&R springs. Go with Vogtland if you want the most low and stiffness. H&R does not go as low(~0.2" difference), but are slightly more comfortable than the Vogtlands. In any case, they're both German.

Shameless plug, I also have uncut Vogtlands for sale as well as H&R with 1.5 coils chopped off for sale, so if you're in Cali and interested, lmk. Oh, and AMG Monoblocks.

As for the rear, the Ford Ranger shocks will not lower your vehicle. Only the springs control ride height in the rear. Ranger shocks are used because a standard OE spec strut is too tall and prevents the vehicle from lowering any further. Also, the Gabriel Ford Ranger shocks ride like ass.

Side note: R129 strut towers will fit the front. They will lower your front by ~0.5 inch, YMMV. Not sure of the physics behind this. Maybe the W124 emulates MacPherson suspension in the fronts? Iono.
            Last edited by Loch Ness Dongster; 12-13-2016, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Things gonna turn out dope when it sees some low's! At first I was like "eh" reps but I know moneys an issue and saving for real wheels takes time. If you plan on staying static yellow sport makes coilovers for these cars for a decent price.https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Speed-.../dp/B005CZLMR8

Plan on getting a w124 myself as my next project. Search around on here for other threads for 300e's there's plenty that people have got really low static. This kid Evan on here had a really nice thread on here if you can find it. Good luck with build ��
              Last edited by B for Brian; 12-13-2016, 11:01 AM.
              You drive your handicapped grandfather around in a car on cut coils? :facepalm:

Comment

Originally posted by loekaaz View Post
                1: They look like aftermarket replacement stuff. You probably need stiffer (sport) ones as lowering your car will make them blow out prematurely. Heard lots of good stuff about Koni and Eibach.

2: Ford ranger shocks are useful when you ride on air, or scrape your frame staticly. Of you do neither of that, then I would suggest going for Saab 900 (not sure what year tho) sport shocks, or go for Koni/Eibach sports like suggested for the front.

3: I would go for H&R. But apparently Vogtland is quite popular in the States, so I guess they are fine?

Nice ride tho. Looking forward to seeing updates
                Thanks for the info. The Ford Ranger shocks are the most affordable I can find right now, if I did go with them, do you think I'd see any problems? Here's a pic of how I'd like it to sit:

Originally posted by Loch Ness Dongster View Post
                Oddly enough, I've owned both Vogtland and H&R springs. Go with Vogtland if you want the most low and stiffness. H&R does not go as low(~0.2" difference), but are slightly more comfortable than the Vogtlands. In any case, they're both German.

Shameless plug, I also have uncut Vogtlands for sale as well as H&R with 1.5 coils chopped off for sale, so if you're in Cali and interested, lmk. Oh, and AMG Monoblocks.

As for the rear, the Ford Ranger shocks will not lower your vehicle. Only the springs control ride height in the rear. Ranger shocks are used because a standard OE spec strut is too tall and prevents the vehicle from lowering any further. Also, the Gabriel Ford Ranger shocks ride like ass.

Side note: R129 strut towers will fit the front. They will lower your front by ~0.5 inch, YMMV. Not sure of the physics behind this. Maybe the W124 emulates MacPherson suspension in the fronts? Iono.
                Sent you a message! Figured they'd be shit because of no travel, but they're pretty cheap and think I can just use them for now until I can get YSR's or Bilstein's. I'll also look into the strut towers, I think with either cut H&R or Vogtlands, the car would sit nice with the bump stops taken out.

Originally posted by B for Brian View Post
                Things gonna turn out dope when it sees some low's! At first I was like "eh" reps but I know moneys an issue and saving for real wheels takes time. If you plan on staying static yellow sport makes coilovers for these cars for a decent price.https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Speed-.../dp/B005CZLMR8

Plan on getting a w124 myself as my next project. Search around on here for other threads for 300e's there's plenty that people have got really low static. This kid Evan on here had a really nice thread on here if you can find it. Good luck with build ��
                Yeah seen ALL the w124 builds on here lol. Thought someone would say something now and later, but if it makes it any better, I wont be putting fake bbs stickers lmfao

Comment

Thanks for the info. The Ford Ranger shocks are the most affordable I can find right now, if I did go with them, do you think I'd see any problems? Here's a pic of how I'd like it to sit:
                  Ford Ranger shocks + stock springs will result in ultimate painus in your anus. The springs will most likely keep the shocks extended @ full length when on the ground and put strain on the rear LCA and rear upper shock mount. A temporary solution is to cut the springs before installing Ranger shocks.

Comment

What's up man, here's the deal with building a static w124 if you cant afford Ground control or Yellow Speed Racing coilovers.

Fronts:

Bilstein b8 front shocks http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Bils...SIYaAsXr8P8HAQ

R129 shock mounts http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ad=47433948732

cut 400e springs, R129( the r129 is the SL series from 89-96) springs, or Vogtlands.

if you're going really low flip your sway bar upside down.

If you need camber plates they sell them for like 300$ on Ebay I think just make sure you get the good thick ones but if I were you I would just stick with the R129 Shock mounts they let you go lower with more travel. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BEN...dVduaX&vxp=mtr

As for the rear everyone has their own opinion but having had an extremely low static w124 my set up did perfect for me.

Rear:

2003 Saab 9-3 rear shocks (They will require a reducer unless you use the lower shock bushing from your stock w124 shocks which I reccomend) http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....130752&jsn=250

E36 spring adjusters (I sourced these from my old e36 coilovers you'll have to find these somehow, I'll include a pic)

You'll need a little bolt, nut and and washer to hold the adjuster to the Lower control arm as well and that can be made at the hardware store
                    http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8wkrpgn1.jpg

34K Swift springs http://www.ebay.com/itm/191336815314

If you want more camber than the already excessive natural amount you can google DIY W124 Camber arms and you'll find a link. If you're interested I have a parts list for them and can email it to you. That color of w124 is my second favorite! Right behind Beryll Blue haha this thing should be really cool man!
                    Last edited by 190Evan; 12-14-2016, 12:40 PM.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                    I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Ah, a Malachite Green W124. Not fan of the reps, but each to his own, interested to see how you fit +15 on this and with 235/40 ( I'd recommend going 215/40 though ). And suspension wise I'd also recommend V8 W124 springs or something from W210, they should all fit bolt on and are stiffer. Just cut them slightly.

Building a W124 Benz

Comment

Originally posted by Jorgen View Post
                        Ah, a Malachite Green W124. Not fan of the reps, but each to his own, interested to see how you fit +15 on this and with 235/40 ( I'd recommend going 215/40 though ). And suspension wise I'd also recommend V8 W124 springs or something from W210, they should all fit bolt on and are stiffer. Just cut them slightly.
                        Was planning on switching the 215 on the front to the back, and buying 205s for the fronts. And about the offset, its gonna a hard job lol. They poke a bit in the back but I think it'll be done with the camber arms that Evan was talking about, and with extreme pulling, or widening the fenders. My dad has a lot of experience with body work so he can probably help me with that.

Comment

Originally posted by 190Evan View Post
                          What's up man, here's the deal with building a static w124 if you cant afford Ground control or Yellow Speed Racing coilovers.

Fronts:

Bilstein b8 front shocks http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Bils...SIYaAsXr8P8HAQ

R129 shock mounts http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ad=47433948732

cut 400e springs, R129( the r129 is the SL series from 89-96) springs, or Vogtlands.

if you're going really low flip your sway bar upside down.

If you need camber plates they sell them for like 300$ on Ebay I think just make sure you get the good thick ones but if I were you I would just stick with the R129 Shock mounts they let you go lower with more travel. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BEN...dVduaX&vxp=mtr

As for the rear everyone has their own opinion but having had an extremely low static w124 my set up did perfect for me.

Rear:

2003 Saab 9-3 rear shocks (They will require a reducer unless you use the lower shock bushing from your stock w124 shocks which I reccomend) http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....130752&jsn=250

E36 spring adjusters (I sourced these from my old e36 coilovers you'll have to find these somehow, I'll include a pic)

You'll need a little bolt, nut and and washer to hold the adjuster to the Lower control arm as well and that can be made at the hardware store
                          http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8wkrpgn1.jpg

34K Swift springs http://www.ebay.com/itm/191336815314

If you want more camber than the already excessive natural amount you can google DIY W124 Camber arms and you'll find a link. If you're interested I have a parts list for them and can email it to you. That color of w124 is my second favorite! Right behind Beryll Blue haha this thing should be really cool man!
                          Thanks for all the info w/ the links dude... After reading this I'll probably go with your suggested set up. I don't know about the r129 strut mounts yet, but definitely the b8s and Saab's. Also do you have a link to the reducer? I'm not sure if I still have the stock bushing b/c the shocks we're replaced before I got the car, thanks!

Comment

When you lower the car it will naturally camber in so you should be able to fit those unless you're trying to tuck.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                            I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

Was planning on switching the 215 on the front to the back, and buying 205s for the fronts. And about the offset, its gonna a hard job lol. They poke a bit in the back but I think it'll be done with the camber arms that Evan was talking about, and with extreme pulling, or widening the fenders. My dad has a lot of experience with body work so he can probably help me with that.
                              Like Evan said, the natural camber will help you a lot, however 10" with +15 should need some fender pulling/rolling. I'm curious, because I'm trying to fit 17x10 +4 currently to W124, tried on the wheels on stock height and it's not looking good.
                              I'd go 205/40 and 215/40 tyres and also I'd recommend spacing out your fenders because you will run into a problem where the tyre will rub on the corner of the fender. These are spaced (~30mm, rolled and 205/40 on 17x9 ET2) and as you can see it still rubbed.

But I'm curious to see updates, how will +15 fit to rear with rolled/pulled.

Building a W124 Benz

Comment

Working...
                              X