Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
    I love clean, quality builds like this!
    Thank you for recognizing that! I am trying to take the quality approach with every decision.

Originally posted by SebastienPeek View Post
    Coolest dad wagon. Love a good B5 Avant.
    Thank you!

Originally posted by philohlean View Post
    Can't believe I'm saying this but the 19" rotiforms looked great on there, I never would have thought these cars can pull off 19s. Wish I could have seen it at H2O.
    Thanks man, I would love to run 19s again in the future especially now that I am on air ride, I would most likely need to run smaller tires though. These cars can barely handle 18s.

Pretty uneventful Saturday. When you are a dad you pull your dusty wagon out of the garage snap photos of it parked in your driveway and pull it back in.

The new wheel...

Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
    and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
    S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

My buddy (Tonk on SW) shot some nice photos of the avant this weekend at cars and coffee. Don't mind my dirty rockers.

S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Wasnt sure at first about the black wheels, but hot damn it looks so mean on the avant. Hard to beat air on these cars, I loved my setup on my old b5 other than the stupid e-level issues.
        Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

Originally posted by hinrichs View Post
          Wasnt sure at first about the black wheels, but hot damn it looks so mean on the avant. Hard to beat air on these cars, I loved my setup on my old b5 other than the stupid e-level issues.
          Thanks man! You really cant beat the ride quality of the performance airlift struts on this car, its rides infinitely better than any b5s5 on coilovers that I have experienced. I wet the 3P route which is the pressure based system, I had the same concerns regarding the leveling senors.
          S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Read through the whole thread, loved it man. One day I'll own one of these.
            Audi S5 daily | Audi UrS6 project | instagram @benznotmercedes

Comment

I do love this car. I'd love to own a B5 S4 one day and if it's anywhere near as clean and well-built as this one I'd be happy.

It looks like you had to step down to stock front brakes to run the Stroseks. How was clearance with the 17zs on?

Comment

Originally posted by rightfullrudder View Post
                Read through the whole thread, loved it man. One day I'll own one of these.
                Thanks man!

Originally posted by Ceedark View Post
                I do love this car. I'd love to own a B5 S4 one day and if it's anywhere near as clean and well-built as this one I'd be happy.

It looks like you had to step down to stock front brakes to run the Stroseks. How was clearance with the 17zs on?
                Yep, due to the BBS Strosek wheels having a fairly slim back pad I had to step my braking down from the 17z back to stock. In order to run the 17z calipers I needed to run a fixed 22mm spacer which was too much, whereas with the stock brakes I am only running a 10mm spacer and as the pads continue to wear down I will be able to use a smaller space size.

I ended up selling the 17z set-up to my buddy who has them on his mkvi gti so they went to a good home!
                S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by kittenpuncher View Post
                  Yep, due to the BBS Strosek wheels having a fairly slim back pad I had to step my braking down from the 17z back to stock. In order to run the 17z calipers I needed to run a fixed 22mm spacer which was too much, whereas with the stock brakes I am only running a 10mm spacer and as the pads continue to wear down I will be able to use a smaller space size.
                  Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought your stock brakes were a fixed caliper design, so even with pad wear they should stay in the exact some position as opposed to a floating caliper.
                  Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
                    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought your stock brakes were a fixed caliper design, so even with pad wear they should stay in the exact some position as opposed to a floating caliper.
                    B5 S4 brake calipers are floating or "sliding" calipers. Currently my stock set up has stop tech drilled rotors and akebono ceramic pads, vs my 17z set-up which used drilled OEM Mercedes Benz rotors and brembo ceramic pads. The stock brakes certainly lack the bite of my 6 piston 17Zs but IMO they still brake more than adequately.

There is a set of 6 piston wilwood calipers on my local Craigslist with brakets, lines, and rotors for dirt cheap I may buy them if the dimensions will accommodate the BBS' better than the 17zs
                    S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Tune should be finalized this week. Fuel trims are all dead nuts with no adjustments to the timing, currently running 22 PSI. I have been cleared for WOT, then I will send the corresponding logs over and we will hopefully turn the boost up to 25-26 PSI.

Drove some back roads last weekend.

S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Nothing new to report here, may make a few small changes this winter while it waits out the salt and snow in the garage. May clean up my trunk set-up and have a few things powder-coated.
                        S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Your car certainly doesn't help with my occasional temptation to buy an audi wagon. Have you considered tying in the blue accents any further on the exterior? Maybe calipers? The all black is clean, but I've never been sold on the 'murdered' thing
                          My Build:

Comment

This thing is RAD

Comment

Originally posted by DUTCHswift View Post
                              This thing is RAD
                              Thanks man! I have always admired your mk6 from a far, simply one of the best if not the best mk6s out there...

Not much has happened with the avant this winter, it sits in the garage and stays salt and snow free.... minusssss my timing chain guides failing. It happened on start-up on xmas eve when I planned to take it out for a rip. They are the weakest points in this motor and they just wear down over time. Luckily the motor is unaffected and still running, but I can hear the loud chain rattle so I turned the car off and wont be turning it back on until its fixed. So now its just the $600 bill per chain tensioner/guide assembly ohhhh and there are two of them that will need to replaced... 2.7ts can be unforgiving. However, I am blessed this is the only issue I have experienced since going stage 3. So it has been a dead reliable 400hp car for 15k miles, something was bound to happen I guess... So I need to face the facts and spend the money to get it up and running. I plan on also powder coating my valve covers and intake when I do the guides because I will have them off of the car, I am going to coat them wrinkle black. Other things that need to be done I need to install my AFR gauge, replace the center driveshaft bearing and then flash the final tune onto the car... I am hoping for 450whp. I think that is easily obtainable. I will have it dynoed when it is all said and done so I can have the actual numbers for my own edification.

Small changes to the interior/exterior I also want to make, the headliner looks like doo doo thanks to the previous owner. So I want to drop that out and re-wrap it, and also wrap the roof gloss black to hide a few small areas where this clear coat is fading. If I feel like burning some extra cash while I am doing that I might send the aluminum roof rails out to have them carbon skinned to keep the carbon fiber theme alive.

Ill try and update these things as they are taken care of and I will also try and start taking better pictures, every build of mine has been documented via iphone and I have had a canon t2i just collecting dust.
                              Last edited by kittenpuncher; 01-24-2018, 01:41 PM.
                              S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

oh man. just wanted to let you know as a prev. b5 avant owner that i fully appreciate the details of this build. well done sir.

Comment

Working...
                                X