Hipster Lamborghini (2002 content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hipster Lamborghini (2002 content)

So about a month ago I found myself searching craigslist to kill some time. Bad idea. Especially when you have a completely torn apart E21 with quiet a bit of money invested into parts that are just sitting around waiting to be installed. Its also a really bad idea when your wallet is screaming at you no more cars no more cars..but then you go and buy another car

But when you find a 1973 BMW 2002 (roundie) in what appears to be fair shape, runs/drives, clean title and local..you tell your wallet to shut up and you go and buy the 2002. So that's exactly what I did.

Sahara/Tobacco 1973 BMW 2002 waiting for me at the sellers house

Untitled

Untitled

The car is completely covered in dirt and even has some moss growing on the back from sitting the last few years. The guy I bought it from had just bought it from an older guy he knew and basically just wanted to flip it since he got it from the old guy for cheap. So I get to pay a premium, but the seller was really cool and he even threw in some extras to help me give this neglected base model 2002 another life.

Fast forward about 2 weeks and I attempt to drive this 43 year old car that has been sitting for the last 4 years or so. Thankfully my drive is only about 45 minutes but its still a little sketchy being 11 o clock at night on unfamiliar roads with the license plate in the rear window and the brake lights and turn signals not working. But I will have my buddy follow me home so it settles my nerves a bit. Before I get to far into my journey, I need to fill her up with some gas. That is when the first problem arises and I fear we are in for a late night. A few gallons in to filling up the tank and fuel starts pouring out the underside of the car. Fantastic It looks like there is a small split in the seam of the 2 piece fuel tank. The owner said to call him if I had any trouble getting home so I did just that. I mentioned the leak and he sounded surprised but said no problem, I got a spare tank you can have. So he drove to the gas station and gave me a spare fuel tank and reassured me I would have enough fuel to get home and shouldn't have any other problems. I was a bit skeptical but still determined to drive home and frankly I didn't really have any other options so off I go again.

Untitled

And now I see what all the hype is about this cars. The rest of the drive home was so much fun. The car handles so well and the steering is so precise. Its like nothing I have ever driven before. Just a pure driving machine built by one of the best

Because I drove the 2002 home on a Tuesday nothing would really happen until the weekend when I had some free time. I was so eager to get started cleaning inside and out and diagnosing some of the issues. But first, some pictures;

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

The car came with some old mesh style wheels

Untitled

They looked to me like original Enkei92's and a bit of investigating proved that to be true.

Untitled

Measured specs at 13x6 with what looks like maybe +15 offset? Nonetheless I am excited to get these cleaned up with some new rubber on em to replace the current american racing wheels the car sits on now.

Untitled

Spare fuel tank the seller gave me

Untitled

Still has a spare and the jack which is pretty neat.

Untitled

I inspected the replacement tank and it appears to be in great shape. But the original tank has what I guess is maybe a breather line that this tank does not? I am not sure but I hope I can still use this replacement tank.

Untitled
    Untitled

Cleaning pictures coming soon, stay tuned!

holy crap, that's how the gas tank sits in these cars?? That's crazy!

Comment

Cleaning day! I vacummed the whole car first. Then moved on to washing exterior with a crap hose and some turtlewax soap stuff. Here's some high res 4k resolution pictures!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Before I would move on to cleaning the interior real good, I needed to make space for another bimmer in the barn/garage.

Untitled

Untitled

Now we are in business!

Untitled

I used some lexol leather cleaner on the leather and I think it came out pretty nice. Definitely needed it.

Untitled

I also fixed the broken hazard switch with the help of an online forum. Which i am really glad it worked this time because i tried this fix on the E21 hazard switch and i broke the damn silver piece so i was super careful this time!

Untitled

Untitled

Another thing I did was clean up the torn leather shift boot. I just cut off the remaining leather and left it to its natural wood self. I think it fits real nice

Untitled

Close up of steering wheel! Wonder what kind of wheel it is? I can't see any type of identification on it.

Untitled

It had weird aftermarket speakers everywhere. I have no idea what these originally came with. But the radio does work, so I guess i may as well keep it.

Untitled

Untitled

A wiper relay jawn broken off its bracket

Untitled

Ziptie!

Untitled

Wiped down the interior real good with some Meguiars interior stuff

Untitled

I think it cleaned up pretty nice!

Untitled

Cleaned all the glass

Untitled

This sticker was a pain to get off

Untitled

Replaced the rusty sun roof shield hardware

Untitled

New wiper blades and spring compressor for later

Untitled

Untitled

Not sure what to do about this

Untitled

Peaked in the engine

Untitled

The seller did mention something about a possibly rebuilt head. Has to be..its so clean!

Untitled

Untitled

Not what you would expect to see inside an engine with the outside looking like this

Untitled

Plan to tackle suspension next. Probably gonna cut the factory springs because I want to get some sort of low and I have no money for 'extras' right now.

Comment

awesome man really like this!

Comment

Nice job man, keep on the good work! Nice looking e21 also!

Comment

I **** doing anything suspension related. It never goes as planned, shit breaks, and it takes 15 times longer to complete the task then expected. I wish i could afford to just buy the 2,000$ ground control coilovers I want..but at this point i cant even afford lowering springs. So i took out the grinder and got to work.

Now according some article i found on a forum, it says to cut 1 1/4 coil off the front and 1 coil off the rear to safely lower a 2002 30-35mm and improve handling.

CutSprings

I didn't take many pictures of the process but basically I disconnected the front sway bar and then removed the strut tower bolts which dropped the whole strut/spring assembly down to the ground. from there with some brute force I was able to push it down and under the fender and swing the whole assembly outside of the wheel well. With the spring compressors keeping the middle of the spring compressed, I cut 1 and 1/4 coil off the top, swung the assembly back into the strut tower and reinstalled the hardware.

Untitled

Reinstalled

Untitled

Front springs cut

Untitled

The rear springs where a lot easier. No pictures because it was so late and I just wanted to get this finished before i call it a night. I removed the nut which kept the lower end of the shock connected to the wheel hub, which then basically dropped the whole rear suspension down. I then compressed the springs really good and pulled them out, made the cut, and reinstalled. Now the car is laying frame.

Untitled

Much low. How does he go over speedbumps?

Untitled

Doesn't look like much but its definitely lower then before and it was free so i cant really complain.

Comment

That JVC radio and no name speakers was an OE option. BMW was way ahead of the times

Subbed wanna see how this turns out. My brother has one exactly the same as this
              Sugar Mama Build - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73298

Comment

i love these, i want one so bad

https://stanceworks.com/forums/showt...t-tt-for-long)

Comment

Working...
                X