Dream Car Build E28 M5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Car Build E28 M5

Some of you may or may not have seen the build I began a few years ago on 87 535is. Unfortunately, after a year that build was short lived due the immeasurable amounts of rust amongst other things. I regret giving up on that project to this day, but they say everything happens for a reason. I had searched for over a year for the another E28, this time I didn't want to settle for any E28 I was going to chase the one I had been after for years. After a year of looking I became very discouraged. The prices were out of my reach and the ones that weren't, just happened to be too far gone. Just when I was about to settle for a 535i or get something completely other than a BMW a friend actually found one on eBay and pushed me to bid on it. The auction ended while I was the highest bidder, I hadn't met the buyer's reserve. I contacted the buyer agreed to a deal and convince my girlfriend to make 2,000 mile roundtrip with me in 26 hours as we both had to work the following day. Once she was on board we rented a trailer and headed out. I couldn't believe I was finally going to be the owner of an E28 M5! While the trip was exhausting it was certainly worth every minute.

The seller was a complete gentlemen and patient with my million and 1 questions.

Once we arrived we had a very short window to get back on the road, we squared away the logistics and loaded her up.
    26787407126_5c8a1d4e25_o by cbreez23, on Flickr
    26549147320_3fd0d6fb8d_o by cbreez23, on Flickr

Once I finally got her home, I was amazed at some of the extras that came along with the car. Aside from receiving 3 original keys, I also received all of the original owner's manuals, road side assistance card, and maintenance records dating back to about the mid 90's. I was hoping for an original window sticker, but I knew that might be pushing it. Best part of all is being only the 3rd owner of the vehicle the history of the car is pretty complete. The car was actually purchased about an hour away from my town originally and remained there until 2000 when it was sold and lived in Detroit before I acquired it.

Owner's Manuals
    26217075403_9faa105690_o by cbreez23, on Flickr
    26787396826_3dd14df6a1_o by cbreez23, on Flickr

Once I got it home and had some time the first thing was to give it a quick wash.
    26787404336_96e2a7c3c4_o by cbreez23, on Flickr
    26549139980_85d49a35cf_o by cbreez23, on Flickr

After a quick buzz around time I notice the suspension clunking. I jacked the car up and notice the front sway bar bushing bracket just happened to be completely rotted through.
    I ordered a pair quickly replaced them, car was back to driving perfectly.
    26216238404_abf4d97022_o by cbreez23, on Flickr

Quick Home Depot run
    26217066793_0627a795e0_o by cbreez23, on Flickr

Got her all legit with antique plates
    26217068043_1a77de6b88_o by cbreez23, on Flickr

Best part of it all was just like the seller stated EVERYTHING works! The car has the original oem radio which still works, power antenna is great shape and works as it should. Recaros are 100% operable, windows and sunroof work properly (which usually never do on E28s). I'm lucky enough that the previous owner's loved the car as much as I do and spared really no expense at keeping it road worthy. More surprisingly was that the car was actually kept 100% stock with the exception of Dinan chip and UUC short shifter.

As most of you know with any newly acquired car, things usually can spiral out of control pretty quickly! LOL I ran BC Racing coilovers on my previous E28, but I wanted a little bit different for this car being an M car I wanted to still maintain its rock solid handling. I contacted the guys over at Ground Control and had them build a custom set of coils to my specs.I opted for their completely adjustable system. I had them source the knuckles and powdercoat them for me so that I could keep the stock suspension original for whatever reason in the future. The result was they did an amazing job and delivered them early than the original ETA.

These things are a work of art and the craftsmanship is bar none!
    27454302906_dffc552947_o by cbreez23, on Flickr

I also wanted wheels that were period correct, but wasn't sure I wanted to go with RS's because they're so commonly used. Although they're very classy and timeless. I ended up purchasing a set of HRE 504 in 17" from another S/W forum member. While they're in decent shape I plan on refinishing them before I throw them on.
    26879518404_fc43bca4f7_o by cbreez23, on Flickr

More updates to come…..

this will be fun
    Passion Garage

http://www.voomeran.jp

Comment

Those HRE's are rad.. Going to look the part on your E28 for sure.
      [COLOR=#ff0000]Lifetime Project[/COLOR]--- 1999 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, but converted to Turbo. Attempting to finish it up.
      [COLOR=#ff0000]The Daily[/COLOR]---2011 C350 4matic[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]​

Comment

This will be good.
        IG: ossiep

Comment

This is going to be stunning!!

Comment

So in for this. The E28 M5 is the thing dreams are made of man, very excited and happy for you

Also the history is a massive plus, I proper geek out over that sort of stuff

Did the person you buy it from mention why they were getting rid of it?

Comment

Wow dream car for sure. Both of your cars on here look great!

@projects_always

Comment

Looks amazing my friend, if you need a hand with the lips I'll happily give you a hand. And if you need a few odd and end parts too let me know

@fackinsteve ; fackin build thread :
                http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ill-build-E36s

Comment

well done sir! those HRE's will be the bee's knees.

Comment

Yes!
                    Instagram - Benwalsh91

Comment

This is gorgeous! It's in excellent shape. Can't wait to see it sitting on those HREs.

- Renato
                      TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
                      sigpic

Comment

Your dream car? More like everyone's! This is fantastic I can't wait for updates.

Comment

This is awesome! Perfect starting point! Where in RI are you? When I saw the antique plate was from RI I got pretty stoked. I'm from 'gansett, I'd love to see the car some time.

Comment

Jealous

Comment

Amazing find! This will be so good with those HREs on. Subbed!
                              My 2011 Toyota Vitz build thread.
                              http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56411

Comment

Working...
                              X