Dead Cruiser - 1988 RX7 Vert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Cruiser - 1988 RX7 Vert

What's up s/w, longtime lurker here finally getting around to making a build thread after about two and a half years of continually putting it off and being generally lazy.

To jump right into it I was originally in search of an E30 vert for about 6 months - scouring craigslist and other classifieds every day for the cleanest most unmolested car I could find. After having the perfect one snatched out from under me I decided it was time to expand my options and look into something else because I was becoming eager to get my hands on just about anything. I started looking into 240's and FC's and began stumbling across convertible options (something I hadn't even know existed until this point) and was instantly drawn to them. The lines of the car, the pop-ups, the gauges were all so 80's, I felt stupid for never considering one beforehand. September of 2013 I found an ad for one that seemed relatively clean and made the phone call, two days later I took a trip down to St. Pete to check it out. The car definitely didn't look as nice in person as it did in the photos (no surprise) and the owner failed to mention a few issues with it like the fact that the brake master cyl was on it's way out (sketchy!!) and there was a crazy coolant leak that only gave you about 3 hours of driving time before the car started buzzing at you, but I didn't care my heart was set.

Here's how the car looked when I first picked it up - bone stock, rough paint, but running strong. The coolant leak was actually due to a bad hose clamp so once that was fixed it was smooth sailing.

The first thing I wanted to do was ditch the dated series 4 tails for some series 5. Also ended up picking up another waffle cap because I was missing one (bear with my awful iPhone 4 pics for the first bit of this lol).

big improvement

Random stuff I found under the seat. Also the only pic I have of how bad the paint really was...

Trying my best to DIY (before clear)

After I cleared and buffed it. Really kicking myself for not taking better photos during this time.

After I picked up coils. Also got rid of those scuffs on the rear fender and did my best to clean the paint up.

Then water got under the clear coat on the hood...

Around this time I picked up a TII hood as well as some mazdaspeed skirts

As well as wheels and a trunk spoiler which I never took pics of off the car because I'm a giant idiot... (and that lack of front camber oh man)

...so it was time for real paint

Trying to keep it sorta OEM so I went with Mazda's soul red

Pretty happy with the result, didn't put my skirts on for a while though

Got a new exhaust welded up because my old one was falling apart. I'll post a video eventually.

Then I wanted to start doing stupid stuff so...

Miata headlights.

Just seeing how they'd fit before trimming the plastic

Finished!

Got around to putting on the skirts as well as some g35 mud guards

Then my hoodscoop flew off during some spirited driving :/

Picked up this 370mm nardi and promptly traded it for a D-cut

Came to the realization cleaning my interior was long overdue so I dyed the carpet

meanwhile...

removed all the nasty damp sound deadening

aaaaaand here's how the car sits now, picked up some cheap Subaru lip so my front doesn't look so goofy

Next up will probably just be preventative maintenance and new wheels plus some slight aero change. Also no more awful phone pics

SSuupper clean I love that color and how the miata headlights look on your car.

Comment

You have the same taste in cars that I do. I used to own an e30 'vert a few years back and still want so badly to own another one day. They keep climbing in price though. Usually they are super mint or completely beat to death. This is one of the only other convertibles that I would be interested in and you are doing a great job with it.

Comment

love the idea for the miata lights. partially cause thats what i drive. really clean though! love the red.
        Canadian eh,

Comment

Im in love with this thing. The miata headlights turned out rad!

Comment

I have so many pictures of your FC on my phone. One of my favorite cars out there
            IG: @OsakaFlocka

Comment

Car looks really great! Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@projects_always

Comment

Looks so good in that shade of red. When did Circuit Soul start making steering wheels?

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

new colour is a definate win..
                  Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

K i like this so bad!
                    Awesome ride dude!
                    1990 Audi 90 2.3 USA -coilovers-schmidt spaceline (sold)
                    1993 Audi 80 1.9 TDI -modified with OEM parts (sold)
                    1986 Audi 90 2.2 - bit lower - Ronal Turbo - Kamei

Comment

I really like this a lot! bravo man looks fresh
                      sigpic

Pronounced Eve-odd Rich-E

Comment

I AM IN LOVE WITH EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS CAR! Love the OEM+ way you are going sir! Well done!

Comment

Soooo clean man, I love it! Subbed
                          My 2011 Toyota Vitz build thread.
                          http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56411

Comment

man is this clean

Comment

I want one

Comment

Working...
                              X