HCR32 (re)build, bringing it back from a hack job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HCR32 (re)build, bringing it back from a hack job

Welcome, I'll try to keep it short and sweet.... edit, its not short at all sorry. Its as short as I could keep a year of updates.

I picked up an r32 just over a year ago, always wanted one. Found one on the cheap, paid 2,400 (canadian! so like maybe 40 bucks USD?) Had a few goodies to start, rb25det swap, minor upgrades and at least 10L of free gas that I drained out of the oil pan when I got it home.

Picked it up knowing there was some gas in the pan, knowing it was running rich. The more I looked at the car the further away from fixing it and driving it that summer was getting. By the time I had checked everything over the car was gutted. This was now a long term project with hopes of returning the car to its former glory.

I gave myself a small budget for the summer and did what I could, I tore the engine down, inspected everything (surprisingly all good) and re assembled with a new OEM gasket kit, cleaned and painted everything I could during this process. At this point I had the intention of keeping stock turbo and fuel in the car so I did'nt upgrade anything (oops).

Test fit my equips for shits n gigs

Picked up an S13 non hicas rear subframe, car got moved to a friends heated shop for winter build fun, ended up being me working on the car alone most of the time at least there was heat, painted engine bay, pizza n stuff, new used custom straight pipe with blast pipes on the end, Painted calipers, installed rear subframe with GK tech multilink.

Fast forward to now!

Last week I dropped the motor back in, hoping for first start by the end of this month.
    Ended up changing plans last minute as I acquired a 180sx gold mine and parted it all out to fund big turbo things.

Using the funds I had I picked up an ebay gt3076, had it balanced locally, cx racing top mount manifold, DW 550cc injectors, rb20 ecu and nistune, freddy front facing plenum, Raw brokerage front plenum intercooler piping and couplers, hks ssqv, mishimoto front mount, isis aluminum rad, ogura orc 409 clutch blah blah blah. heres some pictures.

Last edited by Jeff06WRX; 03-09-2016, 04:40 AM.

Note: I know, rotas right?

I am actually refinishing a pair of Panasport G7 (17x9 iirc) considering reverse mounting the faces for a silly negative offset for my rears. Also refinishing a pair of Oz futuras (17x8 iirc) which I will be running as fronts for street/show. Hopefully they match as well as I hope they do.

Comment

Good write up! Rebuilds are fun...

...when you have the spare time

Looking forward for more updates!
      Lucas
      Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
      Originally posted by LCG
      High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

Originally posted by loekaaz View Post
        Good write up! Rebuilds are fun...

...when you have the spare time

Looking forward for more updates!
        I am lucky enough that I do have the spare time, I work 8 days on and 6 days off so I basically have every other week off. Thanks for the kind words

I didn't intend on a rebuild of any sort when I picked it up but I couldn't just fix the amount of things I found wrong, hacked etc. in this car. It's quite sad how terrible some folks work is. The car had all sorts of standard hardware used all over it, hood, fenders, headlights, spoiler held on with wood screws, bare wires twisted together not even taped shift knob held on with packing tape. The list just goes on.

Comment

Nice start dude. looking forward to more updates
          Vw Golf '90 (AHU tdi)

Vw Touran (2.0 tdi SE)

Nissan Skyline (r32 gts-4)

Vw Lupo - Sold

Comment

I ran into a small issue. I started repairing the curb rash on the panasports I had planned to pair with the futuras on my skyline and I realized both of the lips are completely different. One is smooth and the other has lines where the face mounts and in the center of the lip. To top it off the lips are not the same size.

I'm not sure how I managed to miss this before but it is what it is. I'm going to finish repairing and refinishing the pair and then put them up for sale.

My solution to this problem... 18x9 +24 F 18x10 +24R SSR Vienna Kreis! Picked up the set a couple nights ago and I've already started repairing them. The fronts have quite a bit of curb rash and the finish is flaking off, the rears are in pretty good shape but the lips are all going to be repaired and polished. I'm thinking the faces will get powder coated gloss white.

Comment

update time, back to work tomorrow.

I brought the car home from the shop, shop is in the middle of some reno work now that spring is here. My garage is a bit of a mess, I really need to find a place with a larger garage.

Mounted my front bumper support, mocked up my FMIC, marked bumper support for FMIC and GTR N1 vents, cut support. bolted on FMIC test fit bumper. Now the bumper support can come back off so it can be painted to match the engine bay, which also needs some minor touch ups.

Got my driveshaft back up so I was able to fill the transmission, re install the shifter, placed all the center console trim in place so later on I can mock up my gauge placement with some cardboard then make it out of abs plastic. Hopefully that turns out okay. I have 4 60mm and 1 52mm to mount so maybe need to get a 2nd 52mm clock or something to even it out?

I pushed the car outside for a little bit of sun this week while I painted the gf's varrstoens for her evo x (she is already regretting not buying the work cr kai now but the paint job turned out pretty good for a rattle can)

Thats about it for this week. My vienna faces are ready for pick up from powdercoating but I havent had time to pick them up yet and still have to repair all the curbing and chipping on the barrels (which i now have 12 to choose from of various sizes....oops)

Comment

Working...
              X