No announcement yet.

Frankensteins monster: Golf turbo build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I was too tired to write an update and upload pics last night, so I kicked it with some well deserved beers and K.O'd before 12pm...

Got started on the Fugly engine bay, cut all tangs and unnecessary parts out the way, fillered and flatted back:

Cleaned down and tack ragged. Spot the wizard...

Smashed on the red oxide thick (1.6 tip HVLP)

Stuck on a white base ( In the all ideal world I would have laid a silver basecoat, but didnt have any to hand so stuck with what we had )

Mixing up some colour, wanted something different for this, So used some left over from a few years back. Just hanging around for this very occasion...

Then laid the laquer on WET, wet wet wet... End result?

Pictures are shockingly bad quality as per, Iphone is almost dead due to going through 7 screens and constant dropping, until the DSLR is repaired, I cant get any decent pics...

Oh, Mocked up another viable turbo too.... :P

Comment

Is that Audi hibiscus red in engine bay? Love the progress being made.

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

Yep still speachless

Comment

This is a great VW build.

Comment

Originally posted by dubs&boost View Post
            who makes that shifter? its beautiful!

Sorry dude totally missed this. It's made by a guy over in the Netherlands, he is notoriously difficult to find / get hold of as he is only a one man band and pretty much flat out all the time. Drop me a pm if you're seriously interested and I can pass on his contact details to you.

Delta, close but no cigar! It's actually VW rosewood pearl. Pictures do not do this colour justice, simply stunning in the light. Very, very tempted to respect the car this colour too...

Thanks again for the kind comments, still plenty to come(including blood shed, tears lost and anger gained I guess...) I'll try to get over to the unit next weekend again for another update.

Comment

Hot damn!!
              Hipstagram tberardinucci

Comment

this build is siiiiiiiiick! nice work man love it!
                89 Carb'd-Turbo Golf Cabrio

Comment

Evening all,
                  Apologies for the terrible photos again, Unfortunately i lost all my data from my phone so lost all build pics, so I have had to pluck the pics from instagram..
                  Making a start on finishing the cage off.

Front end pretty much there, bases formed and welded to main cage & dimpled A pillars

Getting the job done sometimes means being a contortionist.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/Butch-gti/AEE25A65-ADF5-4CCE-902A-9576366E7369.jpg[IMG]

Flattened off shifter gap ready to accept the new shifter

Time to tackle the FMIC, typical assache but nothing is impossible.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/Butch-gti/A580AA77-D412-438A-B211-3677AAD6A799.jpg/IMG]

Time to tackle the biggest turd on the mk4 platform AKA front sponge mounts. Turning some 6082 T6 billet down...

Also made a brace for the rear end.

..... Guess whats going on here?.......

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/Butch-gti/EAF42662-D9CE-4E7D-9EB2-F901B96F7329.jpg[IMG]

So, nowhere in the Uk sells decent merge collectors & the ones whom do are shocking quality. So decided to fabricate one up to my own specification. Mocked up with mild steel and then hit it with the stainless:

Cleaned up (mild):

On to the stainless:

Profiling the wastegate take off (Will take pics soon)

Added some Aerocatches on the rear - again, no pics as I didnt back up my phone... Sigh..........

Okay so, I got lazy and purchased some weld in seat rails from *inserts company name here* so as usual, was not happy with the quality so ended up fabricating our own:

Also, have half of this fabbed up now:

Also made some purchases too:

Im over at the unit next weekend, and plan to have most of the manifold (If not the lot) fabricated. So will do an update next weekend. Its growing increasingly closer to the end of the fabrication stage, so should start to assemble bits and pieces soon!

Until next time.. !
                  Last edited by LJB; 01-17-2017, 04:38 PM.

Comment

damn, might as well start selling those merge collectors! the only way to get better flow then that would be making one out of billet! i love this build.

i thought the shifter would come from somewhere like that. I don't have a vw but am really wanting to try and replicate a shifter cage for my evo. want the shifter closer to the wheel and not made of that awful white oem plastic.

I'm looking forward for updates on this!!

Comment

Thanks buddy, things are in motion already & should be opening a small webshop soon selling merge collectors, manifolds, plenums, motorsport shifters & other billet goodies.

I dont blame you, evo shifters suck, also, something im looking into fabricating soon.

Comment

well keep me in the loop! I'm definitely interested

Comment

So managed to get to the unit this weekend, had some wheels made up to a specific spec (3 month wait for manufacturing.....) Unfortunately they are a little off but offer a fantastic neigh on perfect scrub radius. Before people start to think these are not wide enough, the whole purpose of this vehicle is maximum grip while keeping the handling as precise as possible. Wider wheels / crazy offsets will just ruin the characteristics of the vehicle, so no show wheels but fit well..

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/Butch-gti/F9EEC7CD-325D-4979-9129-5306D99DEA2D.jpg/IMG]

Sitting pretty tight up front, needs a 5mm spacer to clear the strut (Could have gone with ET30 here) but allows me to run 8j with full width tyres.

Please ignore the messy under car, have not had time to tackle this and re Schutz the under carriage..

VS Incorrect wheels - 9j ET18 (Looks great, super wide but scrub radius is well off, arches needed also)

Okay so, Have been working on a new type of manifold, a solid solution for those whom wish to run a sidewinder with 1.8t:

Sitting about right, out the way of everything.

Jig fabrication:

Oh my spare head I had lying about, made a start on the primary runners.

& finally the money shot:

So unfortunately thats it for now folks, but these manifolds are going into production with immediate effect. Will be posting up many results & have a few designs to cater for every build.

Thanks again all

Liam

Comment

dear god.
                            Mississippi.

Comment

Mother of god.... The beast.

Nice project man

Comment

The attention to detail, what an absolute beast you're building there.

Comment

Working...
                                X