No announcement yet.

Slow Motion MX73 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would just get a mk3 supra turbo with a blown head gasket. You can get one for around $1500 with around 120k miles and bone stock. Pull the engine, take it to a machine shop, have them check if the head is warped, get it machined for around $200~$350 buy some ARP head studs, an MHG(depending on what compression you want/ how much was removed when machining), slap it all together, and have a damn good engine. There are different differentials for different years of the mk3 also. I know how the a70's diff mounts onto an x8, but I've heard that the a70's differential will fit inside the x7's pumpkin.

Not 100% sure on that though, as I've never tried or seen an lsd equipped x7 in person. Only seen welded diff ones out this way

The W58 is a good transmission for a budget, but even in good condition they tend to die around 350rwhp. The R154 is good for between 400-500rwhp. The 7m crowd is much smaller than the jz crowd, because the mk3 supra isn't all that popular and the 1jz and 2jz have the "that's a mk4 supra motor" factor to the regular person. The 7m's also had the head gasket issue that pushes people away from it.

You could wire your car up for a 7mge with an x8 harness and then swap a 2jzge in using the 7mge ecu and boost the 2jzge and put down around as much power as a 7mgte could hold if you want something really unique. It's fairly common(well pretty common compared to other swaps) for the x8 guys to run the 2jzge on the 7mge ecu.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people are die hard jz fans and believe the JZ series engines are the best engines ever, then there are people like me who the JZ series as very capable, but overpriced and hyped up and that a build 7m for cheaper is a better investment.

Check into driftmotion's 57 trim ct26's and http://www.supracharged.com/tech/wiring/index.shtml

If you're set on getting a JZ, by all means do it, don't let me deter you. I'm just trying to give you another option.
    Last edited by rice4life; 03-08-2016, 01:17 AM.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
    @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
      I would just get a mk3 supra turbo with a blown head gasket. You can get one for around $1500 with around 120k miles and bone stock. Pull the engine, take it to a machine shop, have them check if the head is warped, get it machined for around $200~$350 buy some ARP head studs, an MHG(depending on what compression you want/ how much was removed when machining), slap it all together, and have a damn good engine.
      With ARP studs I don't know that the head gasket issue was still be a problem... I also don't know why people (especially people who work on their own cars) let it be an issue in the first place lmao. 99% of the time it can be completely prevented from ever being an issue just by re torquing the studs every so often.

I agree with the 7M though. IMO they make more ungodly noises than the jz's ever have (in a good way), and you get bonus points for being a little more unique

Comment

I really appreciate all the information! I honestly have no problem running a 7M. I just figure the cost into play. Either 7M or 1J is going to cost me about the same after all is said and done. Either swap will only be getting a good front mount and the necessities to make sure everything is in good working order before running it.

I figure its best to have it running perfectly in factory setup first than to try to single turbo swap or anything else major and requiring tuning at the same time. I have a lot of research to do yet before I make a decision upon either one.

I have an extra 5M that needs a head rebuild and new valves that I'm going to throw together soon as the current 300,000 mile OG 5M is burning quite a bit of oil. So nothing major planned for the near future. Just research and hearing from people with experience!
        Slow Motion Mx73 Build
        www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83492]

Comment

Some more randomness and progress.

Had to throw on my spare manifold after breaking downpipe studs off. Replaced the gaskets, new o2 and gave it a coat of high temp. No leaks!

Decided to remove my blinkers and install some old fog lights. The mounted up smoothly to the existing blinker brackets. Now I just need to wire them properly and relocate the blinker into my corner lights while retaining the running lights.

With them all on now.

Made a trip down to the Portland area to pick up my custom delrin knob as well. Very comfy and never gets hot or cold!

Finally got tired of having a huge auto brake pedal so I put my madd skills to the test.

Cant even tell it was ever for an auto!
          Slow Motion Mx73 Build

Comment

Well unfortunately as is, it does want to go any lower in the front
            I may have left the old section of strut casing that the coilover slides over too long. Ill have to cut them off the hub, shorten the old case and re-weld it.

The rear just need a little more low, then some more spacers and a little rolling. I'd like to keep the trim around the wheel wells.

It really bugs me how much larger the front wheel arches are.

I wish I could shrink them down, but that would be some very excessive body work. The only way I see that possible would be to cut rear arches from another Cressida, cut my front ones out up to where the flare ends, weld the rears on, and try as hard as I can not to make it look like ass.
            Slow Motion Mx73 Build

Comment

Just my attempts at decent photography. I use an old Nikon D40 and have been practicing more lately. Both shooting and editing. Luckily here in the Northwest there are so many beautiful places to go explore and cruise. These were taken up by Mt. St. Helens in Washignton state. Enjoy! And I know I'm far from amazing with photography. Still have much to learn.

Last edited by BeaverSmashing; 04-18-2016, 07:56 PM.
              Slow Motion Mx73 Build

Comment

Great pictures man! The last few pictures are a bit heavy on the editing, so you might want to tone down the contrast to give it more of a natural feel. I just took a break from digital and started with 35mm on a bunch of old cameras. I'm using an AE1, OM10, and an A1. I'm looking at getting a used DSLR soon, how do you like the D40 in terms of daily usability?

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

I appreciate the input! I usually try to limit my editing but I got a little carried away on a couple, haha. I guess I just wanted to try messing with the backlighting and a tool called bloom. The Nikon is very user friendly. I believe its almost 10 years old! For someone new to dslr cameras like me its great. I try to always shoot full manual when I have a stationary subject or the time to do so.

Id definitely recommend something newer with a bit better resolution. This camera is only 8mp if I remember correctly, that being one of the only cons in my opinion. The other con is a terrible screen. Reviewing pictures and determining how clearly your shot came out is impossible. I just compensate by taking at least a couple shots, but that's just because it's and older camera. Newer models have much better displays. I think the next camera I get will be a Cannon, just because I'd like to see how one of their entry level ones preform.

I only paid $100 for it so all around, I love it.
                  Slow Motion Mx73 Build

Comment

Working...
                  X