• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! I'll watch this

Comment

Wow that really in there!
      -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
      '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
      '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
        Wow that really in there!

Let's start with some guest appearances...

The new owner of my old car is enjoying it - he is finishing up the little things that I never got around to - electric cutouts, tint, etc. Weird seeing it with different plates on it

IMG_1388 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

IMG_1387 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

A friend stopped over last weekend for some work on his goat

IMG_1378 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

IMG_1377 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Back to your regularly scheduled crap...just been driving this thing to work on every nice day we get

image by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Couple small updates

Needed to get the car inspected and it was throwing a bunch of codes after the longtube install, so shut off those codes via HPTuners and also raised the rev limit to 6500 (from 6200) in anticipation of the last couple of bolt-ons I'm going to do. Picked up new LS6 OEM valve springs, 16 new seals, and an LS6 intake manifold. When it's all apart I will finish deleting the AIR system, should clean up the engine bay a bit.

I am not a fan of mimicking trim packages that the car didn't come with (aka putting red fuel rail covers from a Z06 on this car) but I wanted something different in the engine bay, so the LS6 intake will be getting paint. Starting off with deep clean, masking off the usual parts, and then primer. Final color will be a wrinkle red. Might do the air bridge too if I like how it turns out.

Ready for paint:
        _DSC4907 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Primer:
        _DSC4908 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4909 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4910 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Buddy of mine asked me if I was interested in a paint correction - he wanted to show my car in his booth at http://www.buffalomotorama.com/ . I am not a big "show" person but this is a pretty cool opportunity. I will snap some pics this weekend when I go to the show. He worked wonders on the BMW so I'm sure the Vette will turn out great as well.

Check out his site.
        Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

IMG_1394 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

IMG_1384 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Also started working on some cutouts. Picked up a drill press, don't know how I went without one all these years. Poor hole saw got its brains beat out by the stainless but the end result is nice.

image by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

I am going to try something different on the cutouts. I ran an electric QTP some years ago and wasn't happy with the operation, reliability, etc. The motor crapped out on me and the vendor told me I had to buy a new one as they didn't sell parts. So I picked up some vacuum actuated ching chong 3" units off the chinese ebay wannabe site to try to put together my own "NPP" option. There is another Corvette guy using these for muffler modifications with success so I have high hopes. I haven't yet figured out how I want to control them, but am thinking about using some old EGR vacuum solenoids to control the valves on demand. We'll see.

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

Comment

Last edited by nsogiba; 03-23-2016, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Ready for paint...

and then you post primer pictures...

and to top it off, double post.

Come on man, get your shit together. you can do it!

Comment

Originally posted by LCG View Post
              Ready for paint...

and then you post primer pictures...

and to top it off, double post.

Come on man, get your shit together. you can do it!

to be fair i did say ready for paint, show it unpainted, then say primer, and then show primer.

Red paint gets here tonight, so be patient my friend.

Comment

LCG is just being a big bully. I'm in for this. I haven't checked in on this thread in a while. Good work can't wait to see that intake plenum painted.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
                I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

I saw your car on Craigslist a little while ago and wanted to throw my computer in the dumpster.

Glad to see you're already throwing wrenches at another LS-powered car. Are you planning on attending Opening Day at Watkins Glen this year by chance?
                  BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                  Originally posted by Ollie
                  We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
                    I saw your car on Craigslist a little while ago and wanted to throw my computer in the dumpster.

Glad to see you're already throwing wrenches at another LS-powered car. Are you planning on attending Opening Day at Watkins Glen this year by chance?
                    Sometimes you just gotta move on.

I don't know anything about this opening day but really want to take her out on the track - more details? You going?

Comment

Originally posted by nsogiba View Post
                      Sometimes you just gotta move on.

I don't know anything about this opening day but really want to take her out on the track - more details? You going?
                      April 16th & 17th, I'll be going with a handful of other people on the 17th most likely. Probably take the missus and the little guy for shits and giggles.

They call them "pace laps", but as you and I both know that doesn't last long with some sandbagging. I call it an excuse to beat the shit out of my car around a track lol
                      Last edited by MommysLittleMonster; 03-23-2016, 02:53 PM.
                      We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
                        April 16th & 17th, I'll be going with a handful of other people on the 17th most likely. Probably take the missus and the little guy for shits and giggles.

They call them "pace laps", but as you and I both know that doesn't last long with some sandbagging. I call it an excuse to beat the shit out of my car around a track lol
                        link? pricing? any other restrictions? I'd love to go. might hit the Little Speed Shop cruise.

Event in Rochester, NY by The Little Speed Shop and 2 others on Saturday, April 16 2016 with 408 people interested and 303 people going. 60 posts in the discussion.

Comment

I bought some V-bands as well so I can remove them for service, gonna tack it all together and have someone else TIG it together. Anyone feel like gluing it together for me?*

My QTP just didn't stand up to the year round elements, the motor crapped out after about 6 months. Vendor told me I couldn't replace any parts, so it's been sitting in the basement ever since.*

For the new cutouts, I do plan on using a check valve for sure. I purchased valves that are normally closed. The NPP cutouts on all the newfangled GM stuff are normally open, and as soon as a vacuum is applied, they slam shut. This means they're open on cold start, and when vacuum builds a few seconds later, they shut. I did not want this situation since I leave for work early in the morning and wanted to maintain some sanity for my neighbors. I could have gotten around this by using a check valve and a vacuum canister but that's added complexity, and I have no idea if the vacuum canister would hold a charge for sitting a week at a time (which is a reality if we have a couple days of nasty weather). The last item that turned me off from the normally open was that in the event of any vacuum fitting/line failure the valves would fail open, and I'd have to drive around with the car stupidly loud until I got it fixed. I would much rather they fail in the normally closed position.

Check valve:*
                          [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C982H2/ref=crt_ewc_title_gw_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1VE9AW69OSF89"]Amazon.com: ACDelco 14047619 GM Original Equipment Cruise Control Vacuum Harness Check Valve: Automotive[/ame]

Vacuum can (if needed)*
                          [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP-47076-Vacuum-Tank/dp/B000COB8FA/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1458764593&sr=1-2&keywords=vacuum+canister+automotive"]Amazon.com: Dorman HELP! 47076 Vacuum Tank Unit: Automotive[/ame]

The only thing that I would have liked to have using the normally open system would be the feature of the engine vacuum on idle and light driving conditions to keep the valve shut, and then valves opening up when you hammer on it, removing vacuum. It makes for a nice "automatic" mode but again I wanted the failsafe to be in the closed position.

The red paint showed up so it was time to let the inner ricer out. had a couple local Flying Bison craft brews to pre-dull the brain for the paint fumes and went to town. I miss doing these small quick jobs, they are great fun.*

This stuff is awesome. Used about 2/3 of 1 can to do the whole manifold. I was on the fence about the finish based on the Amazon reviews but bought 2 cans just in case it turned out nice. About 3 solid heavy coats on it and it turned out great. Unlike the primer this stuff ran you wouldn't believe, but as long as you kept a good distance with the can it went on great. I used this stuff in a black color on a power steering pulley when I built the original 6.0 for my BMW in 2012 but the finish was way too coarse. This one turned out much finer

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP204-Wrinkle-Plus-Coating/dp/B001GX9U3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458781877&sr=8-1&keywords=red+wrinkle"]Amazon.com: VHT SP204 Wrinkle Plus Coating Red Can - 11 oz.: Automotive[/ame]

so throwing on some coats, wet

_DSC4911 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4912 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4913 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Dried for 20 mins, let her sit under the unit heater for a while getting toasty, another couple coats, then let it cure fully and crinkle. It has the fine "Ferrari-red-crinkle" finish that I was going for. Thought it might come out light based on how it looked when it was wet but it dried darker and is the exact shade I was going for*

_DSC4914 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4915 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4916 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4917 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

_DSC4920 by Norbert Ogiba, on Flickr

Based on how she turned out I will do the air bridge as well to match.*

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Originally posted by nsogiba View Post
                              link? pricing? any other restrictions? I'd love to go. might hit the Little Speed Shop cruise.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1730161423897416/
                              To the best of my knowledge, it's $25 per "session". We typically go twice then go grab beer after.

The last 2-3 years, we've gone as a separate group from TLSS, just because it keeps things less cluttered. Although, TLSS did have a great gathering and cruise the one year we did go with them.

All of our cars will be slow so it's not like we're out to race eachother that much.

Comment

Track day bro!

Comment

Working...
                                X