2011 camaro SS. from wrecked bare shell, to racecar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 camaro SS. from wrecked bare shell, to racecar

here's a little back-story. my name is zach, I'm 19 years old, and what do i do for a living? I'm a full time auto body repair man. some of you may remember me from this forum last year with my r34 skyline build. ( http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...+skyline+build ). since completion of the r34 i bought a 2011 sti hatch and drove that on rainy days, and have basically enjoyed the skyline the whole summer. in the fall i ended up getting rid of the sti (it wasnt the car i expected it to be) and i bought a brand new 2015 mustang gt as my daily/ winter beater . winter came, and with no skyline to drive and no car to work on i was bored... so off i went to find a new car, and ended up finding a smashed 2011 camaro ss which was completely stripped down to the basically just the shell. the car was smashed in the front, and right rear corner, also while the previous owner stripped out all the parts he cut out the transmission tunnel, and the firewall. i strongly believe the camaro was owned by justin bieber, you will see in the pics why. first is a picture of my 2 (drivable) cars and a boat load of pictures of the new project. currently i have done all the body work on the rear quarter, and am now starting on the trunk. and update on that will be posted shortly.

my plans for this car is to make a track car, and I'm not talking drag car, i mean circuit racing. what are some opinions on a donor car to start with?

i was thinking:
    98-02 camaro z28 -LS1 5.7l v8
    05-06 pontiac gto- LS2 6.0l v8

or something crazy like...
    2006 bmw 760i- 6.0l v12
    2003 mercedes s600- 5.5l v12 twin turbo
    older drag car with an older chevy 454 or something like that?
    2jz- 3.0l inline 6 single turbo
    rb25- 2.5l single turbo

so many options on drivetrain, but can't decide wether to stick with chevy or go with something crazy. problem is i will need something tuneable and somewhat reliable to be beat on.
    Last edited by R34 Zach; 01-24-2016, 06:16 PM.

I vote going with a catfish z28 to save some $$$ for suspension, body work, and baller ass wheels. Then fab up some 180 degree headers for the flat plane crank v8 sound. LS's sound amazing with 180 degree headers and perform extremely well with them.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
    @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

This is going to be a cool build! I swear I saw this car for sale at the Bothwell swap meet in the summer. I never looked at the passenger side but notice that the trans tunnel had been hacked out.
      1958 Chevy Apache shop truck build

Commonwealth

W201/W124 Control arms and bag brackets

http://www.commonwealthmotoring.com/
      Air ride and custom parts
      IG - Commonwealth_mf FB - https://facebook.com/commonwealthmotoring

Comment

Aluminum LS. Personally, I'd hunt down an LS7 and T6060 since it's going to be a road course car.

Comment

Originally posted by R34 Zach View Post
          something tuneable and SUPER reliable to be beat on.
          That is the exact description of the LS engine.

Good luck with the build .... JAY BEE.

Subscribed because mullet.

Comment

I say LS7 and TR6060.

You stay away from my GTO's drivetrain, ya here?
            Stanced

Comment

This is going to be cool

Comment

I'd hunt down an LS7 and T6060 since it's going to be a road course car.

Comment

not too long after i purchased the shell i bought an oem 2014-15 SS front bumper. i now realized if i did the newer front end without doing the newer rear end it would look weird. i don't like the brick taillights on the newer camaro so i chose to not put the newer style front end. i went out and bought 2 oem front fenders, and an oem ZL1 front bumper assembly. the bumper needs some body work. the parts are basically just zip tied on for now just to get an idea of what it will look like. the front end is all buckled and needs to be pulled on a frame machine, some of the bolt holes on the car do not line up with the holes on the fenders. heres some pics to drool over.

the 2014-15 SS front bumper is for sale. if interested I'm located in the GTA, shipping is available but has to be organized by you. looking to get $350. needs paint

should i go zl1 hood or make a custom vented hood? cowl hood? I'm currently working on the body, could i get opinions on things to do?

ALSO, what colour should i paint this thing?!?!?

Comment

Have a great massive blower sticking out the bonnet. Just say fekkit and cut a hole for it.

Go big or go home But on a serious note, do whatever you think looks good dude
                    I am a party pooper. I poop at parties.

Comment

Originally posted by R34 Zach View Post
                      ALSO, what colour should i paint this thing?!?!?
                      OK first of all: Whatever YOU like.

But if you need some ideas, or inspiration, my vote would go to something similar to this:

OR

Like this;

Whatever you choose, I'm subbed
                      Last edited by loekaaz; 01-25-2016, 05:53 AM.
                      Lucas
                      Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
                      Originally posted by LCG
                      High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

huge update on body work!! ok so in my last post i showed the new (used) front bumper and fenders. what i didnt show was the huge cracks in the centre of the front bumper, and a decent sized dent in one of the front fenders. also the hood had 2 large dents in them. below is pictures of the repaired dents before and after primer/sanding, and a repair process of the front bumper. for the bumper i got a piece of interior trim that i won't be using, it was the same type of plastic as the bumper (polypropylene), i cut it in strips, and then heated the inside and outside of the bumper around the cracks and melted in new plastic using the strips i cut. i then grinded down the excess plastic and used plastic filler to get the original shape back to the bumper.

also, remember the destroyed rear quarter panel and trunk? well thats done and ready for primer. after 3 days of hammering out from inside the car i finally got it out enoug h that i could hammer and dolly it straight. i donthave any pictures of it hammer and dollied before i put filler because it was cold and i didnt want to take off my gloves to use my phone (i live in canada and my garage isn't heated).

Comment

Great work with the plastic welding and hammering, nice to see you're not to bodging it.

Comment

Working...
                          X