BMW 2002 build from Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit of an update!

Had a few things done..and address some problems..

So firstly, i got my tyres fitted last week.

And onto the car they went! no inner clearance issues

rear fitment:

front fitment:

Fitment is spot on and very pleased with how it all turned out

Im did some calculations, i need to drop the rear 5cm and the fronts 8cm to get it sitting nicely..i'll look into getting some custom springs made up for the time being

I then fitted some venetians to the car, giving it a classic look. I like it!

The top bracket was sticking out too much and i ***** how it didnt sit flush with the window as seen here

So i had to modify it and shorten it..looks much better now.
    The kit also came with a module and motor for it to open and close automatically however the module is so retarded that i got rid of it and just made it electrical with a rocker switch to open and close it.

I've tested that its all working but have not hooked it up on the car yet. Will update when i do..

And here comes the problem i encountered. So my clutch master and slave cylinders had it. It was fking dangerous when it happened as i couldnt change gears and had to drive the car home in second gear..

The car was out of action for about 2 weeks as i had to order the master from the US off ebay and the slave from ECS tuning from my mate.

I got the master last week..and fitted it up. As you can see, the new one is abit different in design. The inlet is in the same position however the outlet isnt so i had to bend the hard lines to make it work. Check how old and broken the old one was..

GONER!

So after that was fitted, i ordered my slave cylinder from ECS tuning through my mates at BMR. While i was at it, i grabbed a Haynes manual and some clutch and brake pedal pads. It took awhile but it finally arrived today..

I decided i to fit the slave cylinder since the cars been sitting around doing nothing for two weeks..and again..........the slave was completely fked. The rod had fallen off, no wonder it was letting so much air into the system and not engaging.

Fitted, and bled the system and now the cars back to normal. Engaging gears as it should!

Also took these for fun while the front end was jacked up. Pretty much how i want the car to sit when im finished it with it

Sorry about the long post.

Comment

So not much has been happening to the 2002 since ive been focusing on the golf for awhile. But once December holidays start, it'll be 2002 build on full force!

Bit of an update..

Finally fitted the hex caps with red bbs centre caps.
      I also had an issue with the front two wheels leaking air so i had to reseal them and now theyre perfect haha

Fitment is perfect imo..

Oh and i also picked up a really rare Droopy Nardi! probably just keep it and wont sell it lol

Comment

Hey Guys,

Havnt updated lately as ive had uni, exams and what not.
        I finally finished my exams and uni for the year last monday and so it gives me time to finally work on the 2002!

So firstly, i picked up some Koni adjustable front struts to match my rear Koni adjustable struts. Hopefully this setup would be good enough for what i want. I also picked a wood grain dash which i always wanted since it suits my nardi steering wheel.

Fitted

One thing i noticed (and ***** was) that the 2002 doesnt have any indicator/blinker signal things on the dash. They have one light which flashes once 'B' but you cant tell whether its still on or not. So i decided to make my own.

So first up was drilling two holes in the location i wanted.

then head on over to Jaycar for some lights and cable, soldered them up and heat shrinked

Fitted:

So like..that didnt last long. The lights blew and i even replaced one but it blew again. Turns out i grabbed the 2V one instead of 12V. So i purchased a pair of 12V lights instead. So i had to repeat the process..luckily the hole i drilled was the same size..lol I fitted these ones from the back if not it would poke out too much and look weird. These turned out better and look more OEM imo.

Fitted back into the car

Next up was the water pump. I could tell the water pump was on its way out as it was wobbling. So i ordered a new one, had issues with the seller sending a different brand to what they advertised and also sending a completely different gasket.

Its pretty obvious theyre different..

So i had to trace and cut a new one which was annoying

Much better:

Out with the old and in with the new. Can you guess which one is the old one lol

Much better now!

Alright so with that out of the way, it was time to prep the car for paint! Exciting yet tiring times!

Last shot before its makeover

Yesterday i started stripping the trims and stuff was easier than i thought and didnt take too much time. I made sure to label EVERYTHING..even put the screws, clips, bolts into separate containers with labels lol

All stripped. And that was it for the day..rain was about to hit hard so had to cover up.

Oh, i also hit out some dents which were on the bonnet and around the front grill.

You may have also noticed the silver air filter housing. I also picked that up along with the front struts. Its the OEM housing for the original air filter which i modified so that it fits my Weber 32/36 carby. It makes it look more stock looking. I just need to find the hose/pipe that leads to the front channel and also the clips to hold the lid down (could only find one in my shed). I also didnt have any black paint so silver had to do for now. Will probably paint it wrinkle black paint.

Started stripping the paint off the bonnet today as that was the worse of it all. Tried sanding but it wouldnt work. So i hit it with paint stripper. Im pretty sure somewhere along the lines, it had a respray or a 'paint job'. I dont think the paint on it is even automotive paint hence why it cracked and hence why the paint was so crap.

More soon.

Nick

Comment

Just picked up the paint supplies!

Comment

So ever since exams, i was excited to get my car resprayed within at least a weeks time. Little did i know that the car had an enamel paint job, which meant my plans of just sanding back the car with 600 grit then painting over the top went out the window. I had to strip the car back to bare metal and spray etch primer all over again and then lay paint ontop.

So i had to paint strip the whole car which left me with a funny looking car:

so yep, it only removed the paint itself but left the primer..so i had to hit it with more and scrape the crap off. It was really tiring and my finger was getting swollen from holding the scrapper for so long lol but it got me to this stage..

At this stage the majority of the paint and primer was off but there were parts which were just too thick and paint stripping wasnt going to cut it, plus the fumes were killing me. So i looked on the internet for a faster alternative which i was able to find what is called a strip disc. Not only was it faster, it also 'scratched' the surface to allow the etch primer to stick to it..so pretty much two jobs in one.

But yeah, it worked using either a grinder or drill. I chose the drill bit version as the grinder would be way too loud any my neighbours would complain. So i got to work on the bonnet first (you can see the surface rust forming cause of heavy rain and due to being bare metal and not sanding and primering straight away)..

I really needed a way to cover the car from rain, so i bought one of those portable carport things..i weighed it down and even bolted it to the fence

It had drop down side walls which made me think it would be an ideal spray booth when the time comes..buttttttt....wind came, wind blew, wind killed it and so i took it down again lol. By then it was when Sydney had really really crap weather and it was just pouring down and so i got put off it for awhile.

After that, i had so much on. I was really busy with my cousins wedding and helping other people out. First up was, i painted my friends BMW E36. It was a one day in and out job. Whole car exterior respray:

Results (after buff):

Then the very next day, i parted with my bags from my golf and had to fit them to my mates car. It was a very tight fit.

Comment

So that took another two days of my time. By then i was heaps tired but i knew i had to push on since i am going on holidays in Feb and didnt want to leave the car bare metal while im gone..so i soldiered on..

The white is the etch primer and beige is the primer filler as there were some dents on that panel.

Then the boot (ran out of etch and was getting dark for the day)

Then i spent a whole day sanding down the bonnet as i had left it in the state of how it was pictured up there ^..and to let it dry overnight, i left it inside the house lol

Then came my ghetto shelter setup. Again screwed to the fence and held down by wheels lol.

Surprisingly it works very well and doesnt get blown away.

Fast forward to today, i sanded down the passenger side rear panel and front panel. Had also done the roof awhile back

Slowly but surely. Its getting there and its looking better each day. Im getting excited! only the front end and both doors left to sand and primer which i hope to get done tomorrow. If i do, then by next week, it should be painted before i head overseas! Exciting times. Thanks for reading

Comment

Another update!

So i did the doors a couple days ago when it was freaking boiling...

Sanded:

Primed (except for that one corner which i need to still sand back, just was running out of time that day)

My front lip got delivered yesterday

People usually run this without the front chrome bumper but i will be just gotta shave two slits to allow the front bumper brackets to fit.

The remaining parts were all hit with primer and now the car is completely primed.

and today i sanded the car back with 600grit so that its ready for paint..was going to paint to day but was it was gloomy.

I'll be leaving on Saturday so may even have to hold out till when i come back.

Comment

So a bit of an update. I got back from my trip to Singapore and Thailand on Sunday. Was an awesome trip, really enjoyed it! lol sadly, i had uni the next day. My goal was to try complete the car by the end of this week cause uni is going to be hectic this semester so i need to stay focus. So on Tuesday morning, i went to pick up my suspension setup. Be prepared lol.

Yep, so i picked up an air suspension setup that i will be modifying to fit my car. Like the e30, the fronts need to be welded onto the hubs (which i have a spare pair so wont have to chop up my standard ones) and also i need to make a bracket for the rear which i'll get my mate to help out since hes really good at welding.

Once i got home, i started sanding a few areas. Sanding took ages as the etch primer would clog up on the sandpaper since it was so thick which resulted in me needing to go over it a second time with fresh sand paper. I also cut and test fitted the front lip.

Note that its just resting against the car and it will be flush when i get some bolts to hold it in place.

Fast forward to today (Thursday), i started painting the car. Again, i woke up and started sanding the rest of the car and finally put some base coat on.

Firstly, quick spray of primer surfacer for the front lip.

trying to capture the gloss,

Moved the parts inside to let dry

So yeah thats about it. Probably wont put a clear coat on as im running out of time and i dont want to piss my neighbour off. My mum has already complained about the amount of parts accumulating in the back room and also that 'tent' i made outside being an eye sore so i got to get it done asap. I'll let the paint dry and give it a buff then its time to piece it altogether somehow (kind of forgotten now lol). Im just glad its done and looking much better than what it used to look like.

Very excited about it and cant wait to start driving it again. The air suspension will wait, no rush on it. Its taken almost two months for this respray to happen LOL.

ANDDDDDD..in other news, i said goodbye to my GOLF GTI.

Comment

Removed the masking today.

Like my whitewalls? hahaha but yeah its looking more like a complete car. The interior has so much dust. Cant wait to piece it back together.

Comment

More progress today:

So the boot is like any old car, paint peeling and filthy. It wouldve taken me ages to paint it in while (having to strip it to bare metal, primer and paint) so i went for an easier alternative and used a brush on sound deadener.

Also fitted the taillights, a few trims and the boot so i wont have to cover the car in drop sheets to stop rain entering..

More soon!

Comment

Hi guys,

Continued to use the sound deadening on the wheel arches. Started with the rear right one today.

Just got to repeat it for the other three and i'll also be doing the underbody over time, just got to put the car on stands.

I finally took down the 'tent' i made especially cause last night the huge winds tore it apart lol..

Out in the light!

Also started up the car after 2 months. Petrol evaporated since i didnt seal it off properly, so 20L of fuel and a few pumps to the throttle and it started up! cant wait to finish fitting the trims and change the weber!

I'll probably start buffing the car tomorrow

Comment

This morning i did a fair bit. I fitted both doors, the bonnet, and both rear rear windows.

As some of you might notice, the rubber seals are horrible. Old and crumbly. So im looking to find a replacement locally or maybe just buy a seal kit from overseas.

Comment

Sanded the paint back with 1500grit, its coming up shiny and really smooth. Just needs some buffing to make it even shinier. I fitted the boot trims, and all the driver side trims. Im having troubles with getting the driver door to align properly. It gets really close and hits the bonnet when opening the door, needs more work.

Check the reflection. This is just from sanding

See the door is being stupid.

Passenger side lines up good

Comment

Hello,

So i got the door to align pretty good and fitted the rest of the trims. I lost one chrome piece that connects two chrome trims on the bonnet, pretty annoyed. Its probably in the car somewhere but i'll have to clean the interior first lol.

Final buff soon!

Oh and yeah, the masking tape is holding the trims on as i siliconed some of it.

Need to purchase the seals soon=(

Comment

hello hello,

so the past week i did a far bit of work to the car.

Polished up the rear bar and fitted it

Fitted the front lip and chrome front bar minus the rubber strips

Finally cleaned up the interior and took it for a drive with the new weber carby fitted. Did some tuning but still cant get it 100%..have to get someone to help out with the carby tuning.

Also ordered new door seals, and rear window seals. Coming along

Comment

Working...
                                X