1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle - Kermit The Fat Chick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle - Kermit The Fat Chick

I guess its better late than never to post my project ive been working on for about a year, this is my 1973 VW super beetle

[IMG][/IMG]

i bought it bone stock in 2014 and knew nothing about air cooled Volkswagens....otherwise i never would have bought a super beetle aka "fat chick" lol

[IMG][/IMG]

the previous owner used it as his daily....i drove the car about 5 times before i pulled in the garage and started tearing it apart

[IMG][/IMG]

the only real plan was to lower it and just scrape around everywhere....so i did the Topline super low kit (mine is a early 73 so its a 3 bolt strut) and lowered it 3 notches in the rear

[IMG][/IMG]

and that was really all i planned for it.....was gonna keep it a cheap little project....so i painted the wheels black with cream caps.....i know its ugly as hell idk what i was thinking

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

so my first actual trip with the bug was up some winding roads and PA mountains to have a little get together with some of my car friends....on the way up it was running poorly....like i should have stopped.....20mph with the flashers on going up hill.....check the oil everything was fine...kept going.....finally got to the meet hung out with everyone had a blast and on the way back it drove great....until i was about 10 miles from home where it started cutting out on me and wanting to shut off.....i pulled in to a gas station figuring id let it cool down for a little.....shut it off and it never started again....so we camped out for a few hours will a friend came to haul me home with a trailer

[IMG][/IMG]

got it home and did a compression test.... 0 compression.....and its been a down hill money pit spiral ever since....pulled the engine and tore it apart and had it completely rebuilt with the SCAT Performace 1641 kit....69mm counterweighted crank....light weight flywheel, new clutch....new heads (dual port) so on and so on

[IMG][/IMG]

and here it is now.....ignore the messy wiring i gotta clean all that up this winter

[IMG][/IMG]

while i was waiting on the engine i couldnt sit still so i decided to go with some 15x7 widened steelies

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

there was ALOT of fender rolling to make them fit....no idea on the offset...the guy that makes them just takes a volkswagen face and welds them in a barrel backwards....real nice work....the wheel and tire specs are Rears 15x7 175/60 and the fronts are 15x4 135s (no marked sidewall size)

so here it is so far....no sure what exactly im doing this winter too it but will be keeping this all updated....thanks for looking!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by skrappyjapeuroplates; 12-03-2015, 06:07 PM.

Sweet

Comment

I love how your photos are darker than most. Makes the green look awesome.

Comment

Awesome, need one myself someday.

Comment

Ah the feels, 1303 lover checkin in.
          IG: @sebastienaudeon
          1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
          *pats Sebs head*
          there there.
          keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

Comment

Looking awesome. For the life of me I don't know why but I really dig the all cream wheels, in for more

Comment

Originally posted by readfrost View Post
              Looking awesome. For the life of me I don't know why but I really dig the all cream wheels, in for more
              Replying to say the same!

May I ask who made your widened rear wheels? I might be looking for some this spring.

Comment

Looks good for a fat chick, nothing wrong with the supers.
                Insta Mintyhinrichs

Comment

what happened to this? I love it!
                  Some people will never understand it, why we do what we do.
                  The busted knuckles and the late nights in the garage;
                  it's more than a hobby or pastime, it's a lifestyle. We live it."

Instagram: @Stance_God
                  My 93' EG Sedan Build ( Daily )
                  My FC3S RX-7 Build

Comment

Working...
                  X