Elbenzo // Bagged '92 190E Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news!

I've just now placed the order for the Only Charged Dubs kit via Bagriders! (They added it online for me). The kit doesn't include struts so I have a decision to make.

They won't be able to provide me with the BC coilovers for 4-6 weeks which puts it past my deadline date to make it for Wuste.I can also order a set of common Bilsteins from another company (who ever carries the items in stock). I've also come across Gnar Low which offers CA Tuned coilovers with their kit. So here are my options:
    • Order the Bilsteins and use them until they're toast then upgrade to the BC's at that time
    • Fork out the cash right now for CA Tuned coilovers (utilized in Gnar Low's air ride kit for this chassis)
    1992 Mercedes 190 E | 2002 DTM Inspired IS300 | IG @ DAAR_CREATIVE

Comment

Since when are BCs 'better' than Bilsteins?
      Lucas
      Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
      Originally posted by LCG
      High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

Originally posted by loekaaz View Post
        My 2cts;

Get the depo ones. Dump the clear corners, mount back the original amber ones
        In the long run, the ambers will look best. You'll get bored about the modern ones. trust me
        i had clear corners on mine and got tired off them after half a year
        Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

My dude, save your money and don't waste it on BC's it won't matter if you're on air anyway. Pick up R129 front shock mounts, buy some cheap E36 coils for the front coils only and remove the spring and perch, use that front e36 strut, enjoy your sway bar being planted on the floor syke, the OCD bag kit doesn't come with a sway bar mount so your going to be running without one regardless. Enjoy laying your frame boy! Get some Bilstein B8 rears and cut the bump stops if they come with them.

Originally posted by Stupid Kid
          I need the weed in advance i can't ride my bmx across the ocean unless im high

Comment

That's exactly the kind of feedback I like to hear!

My main item that I wanted to address with coilovers is camber adjustment but I've been looking at camber adjustment methods that don't require coilovers. Obviously just some adjustable tophats. Any suggestions on camber adjustment with factory/replacement struts would be very helpful. (I plan on going with wider wheels in the future.

Now I just gotta decide which Bilsteins I need. Unless you guys think the E36 front coilovers would be more beneficial at a relatively similar cost.

Comment

Originally posted by JDMexican View Post
              Any suggestions on camber adjustment with factory/replacement struts would be very helpful. (I plan on going with wider wheels in the future.

Now I just gotta decide which Bilsteins I need. Unless you guys think the E36 front coilovers would be more beneficial at a relatively similar cost.
              S14 240SX camber plates and frill holes in your upper shock tower, or you can get adjustable MR2 camber plates and cut them to fit underneath. either will give you about -3 or -5 with modification. Anymore tan that would require extending the LCA's. pic up cheap coils for like 300$ and use those struts. The bilsteins are amazing but the shock body is too tall for how low you're going to want to be. There's also w201 camber plates out there but they are triple the price.

Comment

That's interesting that either of those chassis would be close enough to fit on the benz. I'm trying to keep it looking relatively factory so I'm trying to avoid expanding or filling any holes. Mainly considering how clean the rest of the vehicle is.

I've been doing a whole bunch of research and combing through forum posts, websites and other such places. Seems like I've basically got three options.
                1. Looks like there's a company by the name of Dibed that has made camber plates that should work with factory/factory replacement struts. They're incredibly fancy and probably overkill for my stance needs. Plus I'm not sure that they're still in production, but it's an option possibly.
                2. I've also found that Ground Control makes a set of dampers/coilovers for this chassis that includes camber plates. I've just now sent them an email to ask if that camber plate will accept the Bilstein B8 shocks (shortened sports version). If so it may be my best option.
                3. Otherwise I have the option of just buying an E36 front coilovers (not sure on price) that includes a camber plate. I'm certain that many companies offer coilovers for the chassis, it's more so just choosing which coilover and camber plate would be best for my arrangement.

Additionally I have emailed Matt at Only Charged Dubs to ask what he suggests as far as struts with the option of front camber adjustment so I'm curious to see what he ends up recommending. I can only assume that he will recommend the BC Racing coilovers.
                Last edited by JDMexican; 05-09-2016, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Or you could just buy the silver project ones lol they work with bilstein and will give you -3. I've heard good and bad things about them but honestly I'd go for it. Ground control completely turned me down when I got in contact to them in terms of buying single parts. Oh and Gnar/Low makes some but they are too pricy for my likes as well.

Comment

I literally just saw a post somewhere mentioning those. ^^ How do these things not come up in a google search!? (Probably because they're UK sites??) The Silver Project ones actually would've been what I went with since Ground Control gave me the same answer, they also couldn't confirm whether or not they would work with factory-style shocks.

ANYWAY, I've got some great news! In my hunt for answers I came across Williammk1's build thread here on Stanceworks. And as a result of not being able to see his posted images from work, I jumped on Instagram! And whadd'ya know, he just happens to be selling his set of front coilovers with camber plates AND a set of rear camber arms.

Perfect timing! So I'll be going with his items and now all I have to purchase will be the rear Bilsteins and I'll be good to go!
                    Last edited by JDMexican; 05-03-2016, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Ordered the Bilstein B8 rears from Rock Auto yesterday and they shipped today! Also have the front coilovers and rear camber arms on the way! Bagriders is waiting on some small pieces to arrive from the UK then my suspension kit will ship.

The only thing left is the mounting setup, which will be an Exo tank setup! I'm going to have my friend fab an adapter plate so I can mount my Airlift manifold and ECU to (since it's built for Accuair's manifold). Everything will be mounted to the rear deck inside of the trunk. I'll be ordering that this week. And that's all I should need to go bagged! Hopefully at least. *fingers crossed*
                      Last edited by JDMexican; 05-03-2016, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I got a things today. That's right, a things! I almost feel bad putting these on a stance/show car after seeing all the "performance" and "nurburgring" text. Regardless, still a great damper and it will serve my purposes well, hopefully.

*Zelda new item acquired sound

Elbenzo's Bilstein's by David Arellano, on Flickr

Comment

some real good photography going on here

Comment

^^ Haha thank you. Some consider me a professional photographer but I feel like I'm still an amateur. Really I just like taking pictures of stuff and (probably thankfully from you all) nearly every single thing I do will be photo-documented. If not by my DSLR than most certainly from my cracked-screen Iphone 5.
                            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            I've got an update! (because I know you all love updates about me gathering parts and not actually doing anything on the car... right?)

Received my Coilovers - Camber Plates & Camber Arms on Friday! Only just now got to opening them up after a very busy weekend!

Please keep in mind that these aren't my first choice when it comes to getting a high quality product that I trust will last for Elbenzo, but given the circumstances and the cost, these were my best option by far. I'll most likely upgrade to some BC's in the future and perhaps some different rear camber arms (spherical)

Coils & Camber by David Arellano, on Flickr

Comment

love your photography skills!
                              sigpic

Pronounced Eve-odd Rich-E

Comment

My OCD kit from Bagriders arrived today!... Sort of. Well part of it did at least. Both packages were not dropped off since one had to be signed for and unfortunately there wasn't anybody at home when they came by.

BUT, I did get the bags and some hardware! ...BUT, upon inspection of the bags I'm really not 100% happy with the products that I received. Got 4 UAS bags (as is standard with the OCD kit) but all of them looked used and/or mistreated in some way. Honestly they look like they were an open box item, which isn't what I paid for. Pics below

I know most of this stuff is just visual (except that I tried threading a bolt and one of the holes was particularly difficult to thread, then when I backed it out there was a ton of powdered residue) but nonetheless I want to ensure that I'm receiving what I paid for, or being refunded for the reduced quality of what I received. I have just now sent Bagriders a formal email addressing my concerns so I hope to have a reply by tomorrow morning with a response.

THERE ARE MORE PICTURES OF THE SAME TYPE OF DEFECTS BUT I DIDN'T FEEL THE NEED TO INCLUDE ALL IN MY THREAD

Comment

Working...
                                X