No announcement yet.

Saving a 1993 FD...400+whp, widebody, shaved bay, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved your DSM, and really impressed with this build. The amount of work you're putting into it makes me feel like a complete underachiever.

Keep it up.

Comment

• Huuuuuuuuuge fan of this
      My BMW E36 318ti Steel Blue Compact build thread -
      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88271

Comment

• Unfortunately updating the build thread just takes a lot of time nowadays that I could be using elsewhere, so it has been put off for a while now. I mainly update via Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube since those avenues are a bit quicker for me. So, if you would like to stay current on the car, feel free to follow one or all of my pages to keep up to date. I would like to get my build threads completely caught up, but I don't see it happening at the moment :/

Instagram: Dyesuperman
        Facebook: www.facebook.com/tr8rfd/
        Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/TheDyesuperman

Current state of things

Comment

• wow great job dude

i wish i had these skills of welding

Comment

• Everything looks great! I love the build so far!

One word of recommendation though, solder does not belong in a car. Proper crimp and splice connections will out live and out perform solder in a vehicle. Use proper adhesive lined heat shrink butt crimps with a good crimping tool. Always give the wires the tug test before shrinking down the connectors. If it fails the tug test, then the connection must be redone. A proper crimp is stronger than the wire its self.

Only place solder should be used is in PCB boards. Wires should be crimp only.

The rigidity of a solder connection can fail and crack due to vibrations and heat cycles.

That's just my .02 for the morning!
            Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

• awesome build!! +1 on the crimping, soldering tends to leave cold joints on each end which makes the wire brittle and prone to cracking/ breaking. Parellel or butt splices are cheap and look clean when covered with some adhesive lined heatshrink. Keep up the good work!
              @dano_reyno

Comment

• Originally posted by corsette View Post
                wow great job dude

i wish i had these skills of welding
                Thank ya! I'm not that great at it though lol

Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
                Everything looks great! I love the build so far!

One word of recommendation though, solder does not belong in a car. Proper crimp and splice connections will out live and out perform solder in a vehicle. Use proper adhesive lined heat shrink butt crimps with a good crimping tool. Always give the wires the tug test before shrinking down the connectors. If it fails the tug test, then the connection must be redone. A proper crimp is stronger than the wire its self.

Only place solder should be used is in PCB boards. Wires should be crimp only.

The rigidity of a solder connection can fail and crack due to vibrations and heat cycles.

That's just my .02 for the morning!
                That's interesting, everything I read pointed to soldering being better. Do you have a link to quality connectors? Do they make Deutsch wire crimps? (Not connectors, just wire crimps)

Comment

• Originally posted by danny33 View Post
                  awesome build!! +1 on the crimping, soldering tends to leave cold joints on each end which makes the wire brittle and prone to cracking/ breaking. Parellel or butt splices are cheap and look clean when covered with some adhesive lined heatshrink. Keep up the good work!
                  Do you have a link to any you've used personally?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dyesuperman View Post
                    That's interesting, everything I read pointed to soldering being better. Do you have a link to quality connectors? Do they make Deutsch wire crimps? (Not connectors, just wire crimps)

Butt Splice Connectors and Crimp Connectors offer a simple, effective way of completing a wide range of electrical wiring projects. Shop Waytek today!

There are a lot of companies out there that make them. Just make sure your connections are made properly and securely.
                    Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

• Yes, i used the parellel splices exclusively and then covered with raychem SCL but any adhesive lined heatshrink should do. I have been using my metripack T11 crimper as it has an indent style splice crimp on it. I always tug hard on the splice to confirm it is complete. The correct method is to determine the CMA of the splice (think of it as the effective total wire gauge of all wires being spliced) and then select the appropriate size splice but i ordered multiples of each and used what fit snugly before being crimped. For example, for 3-4 18ga wires i would probably use a 16-14 splice
                      http://https://racespeconline.com/co...ns/all/splices

Here is an example from my engine harness, 12V splice

@dano_reyno

Comment

Working...
                      X