The Tarantula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tarantula

This will be a restoration / build thread for my 1992 300zx. I chose the z32 as a project because i wanted something with lots of aftermarket support, high streetable power potential, and something slightly uncommon from the average tuner car. So I picked up a rare slicktop for my project. When i bought it, it had a TT swap done to it, with a number of misc modifications, most done very poorly. After 70 or so odd hours of work pulling the engine, replacing blown turbos, intercooler piping, numerous oil leaks, the car was running quite well on 10psi.

I had started researching different 300 builds, aftermarket parts, power potential etc. But it wasn't until i stumbled upon Scott's rb26 swapped 300 that i was hooked. So i started to tear down the car this summer and plan my build. I very much enjoy a challenge and this will be a perfect fit. I don't plan to cut any corners on the build and balance the car with appropriate, suspension, brakes, chassis reinforcement, drivetrain, and engine modifications to create a well rounded car.

1992 300zx Slicktop

What the car looked like when i started. (I had already started to fix the wiring for the electric rad lol)

The nickname given to the car was actually from a sticker on the car that said Tarantula (It was even spelled wrong though so it had to stay as the nickname for the project.)

And here is a short video just to show how the car was from the start. Always fun looking back to where you started with a car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kkTWo3OAHg

Reserved

Comment

Reserved - 2

Comment

Quick Summary of the initial repairs

Looking way better and running better too. Car was incredibly dirty and numerous work was done:

New Vac Lines
        Repaired Engine Harness
        Rear Main Seal Replaced
        IAC Cleaned / Repaired
        New Turbos
        New Intercoolers
        New Intake Pipes
        New Intercooler Piping
        New Gaskets

I was fortunate enough to have all of these parts come with the car when i bought it lol.

Comment

So then i got serious after moving and started to strip the car down.

Engine gone! Sold with almost all of the non usable z32 parts .

Little more work done on the bay

Carpet was filthy

And a last update on the bay after i got some of the harness out.

Comment

My next steps will involve:

Sanding
            New Fenders
            Carbon Fiber Hood
            Carbon Fiber Hatch
            Shaved Body Elements
            Side Skirts (Most likely Kaminari)
            Fixing all the dents / bent body parts
            New Mirrors
            New Glass
            New Window Moulding / Trim
            New 99' Spec front bumper (Modifications will be made to it)
            Carbon Fiber Foglight ducts

And most likely some form of hood pin / latch as i don't believe i will be able to retain my oem one.
            New Undercoating
            New Interior Sound Dampening (Maybe lizard skin?)
            Engine Bay Shave and Tuck

Will have lots of pics showing the progress i make

And lastly new paint

Two builds on here definitely influenced my ideas for how i want the exterior and detailing done on the cars. Both 1badg35 and TriniTTs4 have amazing cars and hopefully i can have a z half as clean as that
            Last edited by Requiem Alderon; 09-30-2015, 11:18 AM.

Comment

First the tiburon, now this? Nice mane.

Can't wait to see an rb in the bay? Are you going with an rb26, or just inspired by the rb26 powered build and going with a 20/25/30?

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
              @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

Originally posted by rice4life View Post
                First the tiburon, now this? Nice mane.

Can't wait to see an rb in the bay? Are you going with an rb26, or just inspired by the rb26 powered build and going with a 20/25/30?
                Well i was thinking i would go with a rb30 paired with a rb26 head. Seems to have much better low end torque and helps spool time by a good chunk. An extra .4L will be worth it. I could rev the rb26 higher but really if i don't have to rev an engine as high to have the same power or more then that is a bonus. basically a 8000rpm vs 9000rpm kinda deal.

I got a couple custom parts that are made by Raw brokerage to order for the build, including a custom removal upper rad support, intercooler, rad brackets ect.

I think my biggest challenges will be fitting in the small things like cruise control, a/c and power steering.

I think for the most part i will be using a brand new rb engine harness and just splicing it into the 300zx chassis harness so i can retain as much functions as i can without chopping out entire harness'.

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem Alderon View Post
                  Well i was thinking i would go with a rb30 paired with a rb26 head. Seems to have much better low end torque and helps spool time by a good chunk. An extra .4L will be worth it. I could rev the rb26 higher but really if i don't have to rev an engine as high to have the same power or more then that is a bonus. basically a 8000rpm vs 9000rpm kinda deal.

I think my biggest challenges will be fitting in the small things like cruise control, a/c and power steering.
                  Have you considered purchasing a r34 gtt clip with everything included?

It would have just about everything needed, so you know it will all work together, and the rb25det neo has solid lifters like the rb26 but comes with VCT. It's been rumored that the NEO head with VCT can outflow the rb26 head that has ITB's. Haven't seen real statistics, but people have been debating it since the GTT came out.

If you want a size increase Tomei also sells a relatively affordable 2.8l stroker kit for the 25 and 26.

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
                  @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

nice work, I need to get to doing the same on mine this week. Where are you draining all of your fluids?
                    Personal:
                    My IG: https://instagram.com/elleongs/
                    My Track GS300 Build: [/B] http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=72763
                    Business:
                    507GARAGE Site: https://www.507garage.com
                    507GARAGE IG: My IG: https://instagram.com/507_garage
                    507GARAGE Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/507GARAGE

Comment

Working...
                    X