Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that red Volvo

So this is my daily driven Volvo 940.
    This my first thread so dont be too harsh I also apology from the crappy cellphone pictures. I'm usually too lazy to take a proper camera with me to the garage

Its a -97 classic model so its quite well equipped and is powered with a b230ft engine, m90 later generation gearbox and volvos g80 diff. So for non volvo guys 2,3 4cyl turbo with ok gearbox and worst locking differential ever made.

[IMG] photo IMG_3948_zpswvxnlktw.jpg[/IMG]

I’m not sure what i am going to do with this one but this is it’s story so far.

I had a green 740 winterbeater before this and i didn’t intend to sell it or buy a new one. I saw the ad in the local car selling site and it was 500m down the road from my parent’s house so i decided to go and take a look because it was quite cheap. Well it had its flaws but i did put my car on sale the same night and next week went and bought this. I am the 4th owner to my knowledge and previous owners have been two casual family men and a priest.

Winterbeater
    [IMG] photo IMG_2267_zps2zxxr4b8.jpg[/IMG]

It was nasty inside and had dog hair allover, rear glasses were full of dogs nose marks, paint was very shaded, front bumper had been crashed in a snow pile so the lower lip was broken and twisted, it was missing parts from here and there(still missing), still has mismatched rear lights and its side skirts had seen all of its 360k kms. But it had watertight service history with a thick pile of recipts from various repairs and services.

After i got ticketed the first day of owning it, i started doing the skirts. After some wire wheel,sanding and alot of paint those were good! Then some spring cutting and i drove it like that for a while.

Looking quite sad at the garage when i got it
    [IMG] photo kg 041_zpsvass6i60.jpg[/IMG]

skirts before and after
     photo IMG_2901_zpslh91kwc7.jpg
     photo kg 034_zpst1vhsv8t.jpg

after some love
     photo kg 051_zps7ngotymr.jpg

My plan was to make it less grampa car so i bought some bilstein b6 front shocks, some random kyb’s at back, stiffer springs and couple new balljoints and bushes. After i got the suspension sorted out it was time for some wheels. After being broke from my bilsteins and billet spacers i bought some japanracing replica wheels and some nankang tires. Rolled the fenders only cracked the paint in 2/4 arches .
    Specs for the wheels: 17x8,25 205/45r17 front 17x9,75 225/45r17 rear and 25mm spacers all around (Needs 35mm in the front)

photo IMG_3640_zps1vqpxzqz.jpg
     photo IMG_3949_zpsrwcbce03.jpg
     photo IMG_3948_zpswvxnlktw.jpg
     photo IMG_3952_zps3g01oyov.jpg
     photo IMG_3936_zps8jehtglp.jpg

So this is how it sits now. I need get it lower but i have to make an adjustable panhard bar so the rear end wont go too far to the other side. My future plans contain some minor engine upgrades and repairing and finding the missing bits of the car

Our volvo squad in Gatebil
     photo IMG_3295_zps0wpnhl09.jpg
    Last edited by Jannes123; 07-08-2015, 06:27 PM.

Ib4 turbo underpants

Comment

Needs way more "stance" content. 8)

Comment

Agreeing about needing more stance d i gotta get that panhard sorted out. But i have a spare rear axel with panhard so i will be bropably doing that in near future ! Also got a new control chip for ecu and bleed valve for some moore boost running 0,9 bar now but the stock intercooler cant handle more :/

Comment

Do all red tails.

i like where this is going

cheers

mike

Audi RS4PRA | VW Golf MKV GT-Y | Audi A1 SportBack

Comment

It's been a while since my last update..
            I have been a bit busy lately and haven't got time to do anything big for the car. But I started my summerholiday last weekend so now i should have time for the volvo too .

I have been sourcing some missing parts and done some small things in the loooks.
            First was the missmatching rear lights that were bugging me since i bought it...

Well the car had originally some rare 945 classic rear lights and i could not find them anywhere used or new. So i decided to go with the regular rear lights but did a minor ad to them and i think they turned out even better than the classic lights. I also bought some clear side blinkers.

I had some problems with the new lights electrics as those are reproduction and i found a pair of original ones from finlands volvo forum with full wiring so bought them and also got some side panels for the seats as the drivers side was missing.

Then i started to practise some paint polishing on the car and well i have some practising but not bad I also deleted the rear model sings the same time. I used only some fishing line heat gun and sticker remover to get the glue off. Also refurbised the original windshield wipers as they were looking quite bad.

I've also been looking for the original roof spoiler for the car and my friend happened to have one sitting in the garage as he bought one couple years back for his 940 but never installed it So primer and paint goes on and thats where i am now.

And some more photos!

Comment

I need one of those wings!

Comment

well it seems to be pretty clean! Those car are awesome. some of the last rwd volvos! So far so good, don't mess it up haha

Whats all that story about panhard bar? Why would you need one to go lower?
                Ruining cars since 2006 yo

Comment

Originally posted by Meeve View Post
                  well it seems to be pretty clean! Those car are awesome. some of the last rwd volvos! So far so good, don't mess it up haha

Whats all that story about panhard bar? Why would you need one to go lower?
                  Thanks!! I have a massive fewer for a aero saab but i also like this one alot so lets see how i end up. But about the panhard it has a panhard bar as stock wich keeps the rear axel from moving sideways. But when you get lower it pushes the rear axle to the other side, so if i go any lower the alligment goes wrong and the car "crabwalks". A shorter panhard keeps the axel in the middle when you lower the car.

here is a wikipedia article about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_rod

IPD also sells those and all of my friends who have had these things lowered have bought the bar from there. Its quite easy to make one by yourself and finnish MOT don't approve any adjustable suspension parts so its easier to get through Mot with the modded stock one.
                  Last edited by Jannes123; 08-12-2015, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jannes123 View Post
                    Thanks!! I have a massive fewer for a aero saab but i also like this one alot so lets see how i end up. But about the panhard it has a panhard bar as stock wich keeps the rear axel from moving sideways. But when you get lower it pushes the rear axle to the other side, so if i go any lower the alligment goes wrong and the car "crabwalks". A shorter panhard keeps the axel in the middle when you lower the car.

here is a wikipedia article about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_rod

IPD also sells those and all of my friends who have had these things lowered have bought the bar from there. Its quite easy to make one by yourself and finnish MOT don't approve any adjustable suspension parts so its easier to get through Mot with the modded stock one.
                    Ahhh ok I get it now. I though you currently didint have a panhard bar and wanted to add one. I do think also that to shorten the original one would be the best/cheapest option!
                    Ruining cars since 2006 yo

Comment

Hyvään suuntaan jalostumassa, jatka samaa rataa

Looking good, i think that a little darker windows would look good. And lower off course!

Comment

Nice

Comment

I like what's going on here.

@austin_norton | @nortoncollect
                          2013 Mk6 | 1999 E36

Comment

Nice start. What you've done so far has done the car quite good.

What is different about the classic tail lights? I saw that you had a clear signal light on the right side, but those lights were standard on the 965 and v90 models. A thinner adapter or finding a set of higher offset wheels would solve your problems going lower.

I do like the look of the half-painted bumpers, though. Might have to try that out someday with my car.

Sub'd.
                            Last edited by fortbrick; 08-18-2015, 05:24 PM.
                            '88 Volvo 745 Turbo
                            Instagram @Andy_Wilder

Comment

Originally posted by fortbrick View Post
                              Nice start. What you've done so far has done the car quite good.

What is different about the classic tail lights? I saw that you had a clear signal light on the right side, but those lights were standard on the 965 and v90 models. A thinner adapter or finding a set of higher offset wheels would solve your problems going lower.

I do like the look of the half-painted bumpers, though. Might have to try that out someday with my car.

Sub'd.
                              Thanks!

Yeah those 965 and v90 tails are the same as the classic tails. They are also different shape from the bottom and the regular lights i have now have separate lenses for the all of the lights as the 965,v90 or classic lights are all single piece. There are also clear indicator 940 lights available

I'm not quite happy with the quality of the wheels so i have been thinking of selling those and buying some proper 3 piece wheels. But i would also want some more power out of it but but it aint cheap i have a spare b230fk engine with oil sprays for the cylinders but it needs to be all rebuilt and with being broke ass student i might have to leave that for later or for some other car

Comment

Working...
                              X