• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car looks pretty cool but what's wrong with the thread title
    IG: @blk_gtr

Comment

^ haha dome

Looking good like that, but maybe those headlights would look a lil better if you add the metal/chrome strip to that bumper again

and battery issues suck, well faulty wiring does
      Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Originally posted by Dome View Post
        Car looks pretty cool but what's wrong with the thread title
        Thanks, and yeah the title is a bit of a long story on the duch chapter about my previous build. figure'd i'd used it for this thread title. it''s stupid i know

Originally posted by P78 View Post

Looking good like that, but maybe those headlights would look a lil better if you add the metal/chrome strip to that bumper again

and battery issues suck, well faulty wiring does

yeah i think you're right. i really want chrome bumpers in the future. shame they are to damn expensive for me right now, then again, they probably don't really fit in with the exterior at the moment because of the shitty state of the paint

i kinda forgot about this thread so it looks like

it's time for an update!

a few month's ago the weather started to get bad overhere, "dutchy struggles: . and because i didnt feel like cleaning up the rm's every single day, i swapped the wheels for a winter set that i borrowed from a mate. i didnt have my own winterwheels at that time.
        i **** them because the make the car look even more like a shitbox than it really is.

drove around like this for a while until the engine started to rattle like a maniac. headed down to my friend to work on it. after pulling out the camshaft we found out pretty much all of the valve tappets where busted. good thing my friend had a set from a 16v laying around that fit perfectly, so we used those.

a few weeks later we had a mini-get together with a few S|W members from the dutch chapter. Thanks to Niels ( Ruittie on here) i got a free set of 13" winterwheels, some wishbones and a set of wheel center boss(?).

so with the winter right at our doorstep, i started to worry about my rear wheel arches. My frined, the PO, did some rust repair on them, but only primered them after. as a result both of the arches started rusting in a few months. i'd figured if i keep them unprotected like this the arches are rusted as hell within the next month. time to repair them.

i dont have much pictures of the rear arches because frankly i ***** that part of the car the most. didn;t feel like taking shots off them. still, here's one:

For any carguys working in a bodyshop doing this shit on a daily basis; much respect for you all, holy fuck what a pain in the ass this shit was..

So i started with the right side because that one was in a really bad shape. after removing as much rust as possible i used bondo to clean it up.

the left side was alright, but still needed a bit of work:

after a hard day sanding, filling, sanding filling and sanding again i got some good result:

while the filler was still drying i could help but fit one of the winterwheels

next day i cleaned up a few rough patches:

the car had a small dent between the door and the rear arch, so i used some bondo to clean that up as well:

then i got bit carried away and starting patching up some small parts around the car:

so after some more sanding; it was time to lay down some primer on the arches:

sprayed some layers of primer, and up next was matching the paint. i already went ahead to a paint shop and had them mixing paint to match the color code of the car. this was my first time matching the paint so i was a bit nervous. came out decent i think:

it's not perfect in a long way but it'll do the trick for now. at least the arches are protected against the elements so i've got peace with it. as you can see in the last picture i sprayed a bit over the side striping. i was planning to replace those for fully chromed ones instead of the plastic surroundings so i don't really care about that.

For now i need to live with the exterior, and i'll be focusing more on the interior;
        because that needed a whole lot more attention.

for example, the car came with two mismatched window handles(?)

so i ordered these bad boys:

now the original plan was to make small wooden cirkel and match the color with my steering wheel. then place it in the hollow part of that plastic knob. that way it blends in more with the rest of the interior. P78 suggested to make a complete wooden knob, i really like that idea, so i'll be searching for a possibility to make that happen.

next up was the audio/trunk set up.atm all the speakers in the car are busted. i got a fairly good deal at the local carparts shop, so picked up these :

i also need some more bass in my life, but i don't like a modern standard subwoofer case in an older car. so that's where my subwoofer suitcase comes in. Last year i already got the suitcase from my GF as a birthday present; last weekend i started building the case:

i was building this case at my parents house because my father is a decent wood worker. and i needed some of his tools i couldnt finish it that day because of lack of materials. so i left it there. this weekend i got a text from my dad, saying he continiued working on the box:

so the case is almost done, now i need to figure out a way to attach it to the floor because its a bit top heavy.

this week i got a bit bored from school, so i cleaned up the winter wheels and gave them a quick paint job:

before:

after:

and all four:

that;s it for now, i'll be updating this next week to show the progress of the trunk set up

i shouldn't be daily driving this:
        "Volkswagen Golf mk1 build thread"

Comment

Sup bitches, it’s time for another update

For now I’ve got my focus on restoring the interior.

So I started with the doorpanels. They have these small “shelves” ? on the side to put stuff in it.
          Well, the right side was already broken when I bought the car, but in the first two weeks of daily driving it, I slammed my foot against it while getting in the car.

So I drove like this for a damn while:

So originally, these where blue, and of course the fuckers are a bit rare to find.
          Luckily there are plenty of normal black ones, so I went for those. Picked up a nice set:

Replaced the old ones with the new, and here they are together with the new window winders(?)

Next step for later is to refurbish the dashboard. Thanks to the sun the colors are fainted, desaturated and the car has been trough a lot of usage all those years.

At first I wanted to restore the original color but that seemed to be impossble. Next I tried at the local paint shop to find the color code of the dashboard pieces so I could match the paint to it. Well they could match it for 80%, and I don’t wanna have a 50 shades of blue in my car, so that wasn’t going to cut it.

so now I’m planning to paint the lower part of the dashboard black.

Anyway, my dad came by to gave me a small present. When he was young he drove an Opel Ascone B, and apparently he swapped the orginal shift knob for something else. Some time later, he sold the car but always kept that shift knob. Recently he found it, and decided I could have it.

Turns out it was a freaking golf ball shift knob:

So now it’s time for the fun time, my little trunk project.

Last month I already started to make a small floor from MDF after making a mold from paper.
          At my local wood store, I picked out some nice birch wood and started on placing all the planks.

2 pics of the proces:

Now it was time to put some lacquer on it.

I wanted to match the wooden steering wheel, so first I cut out a few try out parts, and started experimenting.

Thought this came pretty close, so I started on the floor:

First layer:

Second layer:

I dindn’t want it much darker, so I stopped after the second layer. The paint was still wet so in the pics it seems it has a high gloss. This isn’t the case, so I still need to do that.

Well if I was busy with woodwork anyway, I might as well pimp my window winders.

So these are original:

As you can see, the knob as a big empty spot , so I filled those with left over wood.

And after a few layers:

Still needs to have some blanc lacqeur and a quick polish, but the result for now:

I might wanna replace the small plastic inserts for wooden pieces, but im not to sure just yet.

So I painted the inner side of the wheel wells because after all these years they where full of small scratches. When im done with the trunk there will be a small part of them that ‘ll be visible so I wanted to have it clean aswell.

i also swapped my licenseplate holder from the Saxo to the golf, wanted to keep it ofcourse

So next up was the parcel shelf

that thing was goner to be honest. It had a lot of stains and tears. Due to the tears the whole shelf was bend after time. But I didn’t want to not have a parcel shelf, and a new one costs… wait for it..

Seventyfuckinfive euros..

Yeah fuck that, so it was time to repair the busted one.

Photo of the stains ( it used to be as blue as the rest of the interior):

So there where 2 bigger tears. I made some small brackets and I just riveted them on the shelf. Turned out pretty good as it kept the shelf straigt again. You do notice the rivets from the top but for now I don’t really mind it.

So after it was straight again. I just went full “wheelerdealers style “ and spray painted it black:

Now it was time to place everything back. And for shits and giggles I placed the floor aswell:

I could help myself to put the subwoofer in place either:

Really like where this is going.

I still need to make 2 small side walls in the trunk from the floor till the parcel shelf holders. I’ll wrap those in some black leather.

About those parcel shelf/speaker holders. Those are beyond restoration. So I’ll paint those black aswell whenever I do the rest of the interior.

And now im searching for some small metal protection strips , something like this:

But I have no clue where I could find something like that.

To do list for now
          - paint the wooden floor in high gloss lacquer
          - make the last wooden walls for the trunk
          - paint the dashboard pieces and all the misc stuff.
          - find these damned small metal strips for the floor.

That’s it again. Any recommendations, critics or replies are always welcome, for instance I have no clue what to use to paint the dashboard pieces. Need some help with this
          Last edited by DutchieSaxo; 02-09-2016, 09:14 AM.

Comment

You could maybe try to fabricate some stainless or alu strips around the wooden board/shelf. May give that extra 'spark'

And I would not do the dash pieces black. Just bring some pieces to the paintshop.
            Imho a close match will look better than a whole different color.

Other than that, This little thing will look rad. I LOVE the suitcase thing
            Lucas
            Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
            Originally posted by LCG
            High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

i love all the work gthat is put into this car!
              you do it justice my friend!
              keep it up!

go zo dur
              de groete uit brabant!
              GOD ONLY LOVES YOU
              WHEN YOUR CAR IS LOW AS FCK!

Project page:
              "1971 W114 230.6"

Future BagRider

Comment

Originally posted by loekaaz View Post
                You could maybe try to fabricate some stainless or alu strips around the wooden board/shelf. May give that extra 'spark'

And I would not do the dash pieces black. Just bring some pieces to the paintshop.
                Imho a close match will look better than a whole different color.

Other than that, This little thing will look rad. I LOVE the suitcase thing
                yeah i was hoping to find those strips in a shop nearby so could inspect them myself, looks like i need to buy them online. found a webshop that sells boat parts and they seem to have the kind of strips that i'll want. they're not that expensive but i'm waiting for my paycheck to come in before i'll buy them.

about the dashboard color. keep in mind , im still kinda on a student budget, so going to a paintshop to paint these parts are to expensive for me if i can get the job done in under 50 bucks.

and yeah that suitcase thingy will probably be my favourite part of the whole interior

Originally posted by JHermes View Post
                i love all the work gthat is put into this car!
                you do it justice my friend!
                keep it up!

go zo dur
                de groete uit brabant!

thanks mate i'll make sure that this car will get all the attention it'll ever need.

en de groet'n uut hengeloo

btw, small parts update, bought some stuff with a giftcard i recieved from work:

new radio since the old one doesn't support mah subwoofaaaah Caliber RMD231

new door speakers: Alpine SXE-4625S

and a battery charger in case mine will start to fuck around again; still need to figure out that annoying wiring problem

Last edited by DutchieSaxo; 02-11-2016, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DutchieSaxo View Post

about the dashboard color. keep in mind , im still kinda on a student budget, so going to a paintshop to paint these parts are to expensive for me if i can get the job done in under 50 bucks.
                  No I meant a paintshop/store where you can buy actual paint, idiot
                  Lucas
                  Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
                  Originally posted by LCG
                  High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

Originally posted by loekaaz View Post
                    No I meant a paintshop/store where you can buy actual paint, idiot

miscommunication then,

but like i said, i already went to a paint shop with some parts to try to get as close to the original paint as possible. we could only get it to 80/90% matched and it would have been a metallic coat.
                    sure as hell didn't want that.

already looked trough all the RAL colors, couldn't find a decent one. i later found 1 color that might have looked ok, but then i'd have yet another different shade of blue.

so simple black it is
                    Last edited by DutchieSaxo; 02-11-2016, 08:39 AM.

Comment

you should be able to come up with the right interior color too from this website
                      Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Thanks P, but from what i can see that site only gives me the color codes from the exterior,

i need the color of the lower dashboard part.

btw i already sprayed my parcel shelf black, so i'll continue with my plan of painting the rest

Comment

I like what you did with the trunk! I was thinking about doing something like that myself last week

Comment

loving it already man !! keep up the work
                            Passion Garage

http://www.voomeran.jp

Comment

Originally posted by SirStanceAlot View Post
                              I like what you did with the trunk! I was thinking about doing something like that myself last week
                              Originally posted by PassionGarage View Post
                              loving it already man !! keep up the work

thanks guys!

small update again

when i went for a small vacation with the gf, the car died on me on the highway.

turned out the alternator decided it no longer wanted to live anymore, so that kinda messed up my plan and budget for the last few weeks.

ordered a new one because the costs of refurbishing the old one where pretty close.

new alternator:

so the next weekend i thought, let's swap em over real quick and move over to the trunk set up again. no way in hell that i could get this alternator fit right in. pulled it out again*giggity* and layed them next to each other

well fuck i ordered the wrong one. talked to the seller a bit, send him some pics and it seemed that he send out the wrong one. anyway i needed to wait another week.

so i used my frustrations to buff up the RM's again.

got stretch?

tbh i'm completey done with the color of the wheels and the strech; but it i'll have to do for now. only plus side it has is that i can go retarded low, so that's the plan for 2016. i'll be swapping the tires for some 185/45's after they've been refurbished and resprayed.

yesterday i finally had some time to install the right alternator.

drove home again to work on the trunk. wanted to make the sides of the parcel shelf holders

already put some clear coat on the floor so that turned out decent.

cardbox mold:

drawn on the mdf

almost perfect in 1 cut out.

and after some tweaks and an corner.

that's one side done.

other side made as well

tadaaa

soo, i've been saving up again wich means; time for parts

i'll order these 45cm strips for the wooden floor this week:

- i'll be looking out for some fabric that matched the parcel shelf for the side panels.
                              - swapping that fugly trunk sealing rubber thingy.
                              - and one parcel shelf hanging cord has broken which results in my shelf having a ghetto lean in the pictures above.

that's all folks

Comment

niceeeee!!
                                Heerlijke Build kerel!!
                                GOD ONLY LOVES YOU
                                WHEN YOUR CAR IS LOW AS FCK!

Project page:
                                "1971 W114 230.6"

Future BagRider

Comment