No announcement yet.

JustBavThings: 1973 BMW E3 3.0s Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck finding parts, or getting power out of a M21... There's a reason people swap OM603's and OM606's into bimmers...
    1981 300TD 4 speed
    2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
    , on Flickr
    IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

Originally posted by mkhayate30 View Post
      you have a nice line up going on can't wait to see progress!
      Originally posted by fsiguy View Post
      Ohh shittt, can't wait to see what you do with it!
      Thanks fellas! I'm excited for it all to unfold

Originally posted by theseeker411 View Post
      Nice dude! Pedal assembly should be fine. Should be. Keep in mind, the 524td motor will be slow. Like, really slow. Like don't race any schoolbuses. Or trains from a dig. Maybe an old lady on a walker with a bad hip. If the m30 spins freely it shouldn't be too big of a headache to get it running again, or a carb'd b34 or b35 would be epic in this and you wouldn't have to go through too much more work to swap one in.
      Originally posted by molly_watah View Post
      What he said man. I thought about doing an m21 swap in my 6... then I drove a 524. Thing is molasses. Cool as balls but slow as all hell. Plus the e3 would probably be a bit heavier than the e28.
      Yeah, I'm definitely planning on trying to give everything I can to get the m30 to run before I throw in the towel with it. The motor in it is a carbed m30b30, but it hasn't ran in about 35 years lol. The m21 is more of an "if all else fails" plan, but it will be a pretty unique and fun swap if it does end up happening. I'm not planning on going for speed with this build, but from what I understand there are tricks that can be done to get around 200hp reliably from an m21. As someone who's driven a 528e for the last few years, 180-200hp will feel like a jet

Originally posted by mike-81-240d View Post
      Good luck finding parts, or getting power out of a M21... There's a reason people swap OM603's and OM606's into bimmers...
      Hahahaha I heard that both are hard to do, but I'm up for a challenge
      1986 BMW 528e - Delphin Grey - 5spd
      1986 Toyota Cressida - Dark Blue Metallic - 1JZ VVTI swap, AR5 transmission
      1990 Honda Civic Wagon - Rio Red - Daily Driver
      Instagram: @kibur

Comment

Tested out the electrical system on the car, turns out everything is pretty solid. Hazards, turn signals, headlights, interior dome light, radio, reverse lights... It almost all works. Even some of the windows work and I was able to completely close the window that had been taped shut.

I've also located an M30B35 as a donor motor that I'm considering going after. I have some concerns about how hard it will be to shoehorn in there, but I feel like it will be easier than the M21 would be to adapt.

Comment

The M30B35 sold. It sucks, but what can I say. Cash talks. The guy had it up on eBay, I had no idea, and someone else bidded on it and won it despite the fact we had been in negotiation. Such is the struggle of being in college, I don't have $2000 just to drop on a motor.

Now I am going to try to get this m30b30 cranked over again. I've doused PB blaster into the open intake manifold holes, and mixed some motor oil with marvel mystery oil and added that to the motor. Hopefully after letting it sit for a bit I can get her to at least turn over, and then go from there.

Does anyone have suggestions for turning over a motor that's older than dirt, and hasn't been started in years?

Comment

Subbed.

Comment

Nice find. I despise mice in cars/homes.

M60B40.... will it fit?
              Mercedes:
              93' 190E Sportline
              80' 450SEL 6.9
              67' 250SE

Comment

Originally posted by GTShunter View Post
                Nice find. I despise mice in cars/homes.

M60B40.... will it fit?
                Well, this fits.

It's just a matter of budget. I wish I had money to put an m60 or m62 in here. They just seem to be hard to find, especially with a manual.

Comment

Sick, can't wait to see what you do with this.
                  My '66 C10 Build
                  My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

I see them for $300-500 all the time and 6spds for around 1k. I cant find a 5spd for shit though. People part out lots of 540/740 BMW's. And then there's this: http://www.car-part.com

I just think your car would be so sick with a bmw v8 lurking under the hood.
                    Mercedes:
                    93' 190E Sportline
                    80' 450SEL 6.9
                    67' 250SE

Comment

Originally posted by 99sil-teg View Post
                      Sick, can't wait to see what you do with this.
                      Thank you! It should be fun to see what happens, hopefully I can stick with it.

Originally posted by GTShunter View Post
                      I see them for $300-500 all the time and 6spds for around 1k. I cant find a 5spd for shit though. People part out lots of 540/740 BMW's. And then there's this: http://www.car-part.com

I just think your car would be so sick with a bmw v8 lurking under the hood.
                      Yeah, I still got a lot of time to think about this. Unfortunately, everything is not only more expensive on the east coast, but in shittier condition as well. That price also does not factor in the mounts, fabrication, wiring work/harness adaption and various other elements that would the swap possible.

I think narrowing it down to the M30 that's in it or an M21 isn't a bad idea. One is meant for the car, and the other does not require much to make it run because it's mechanically pump injected. Both should be fairly easy to get into the car.

The only reason I considered the M30B35 I'd found is because it was fully built from Dinan, boosted and stroked from 3.5 to 3.8, with paperwork for every step of the process. not to mention it came with a harness, DME, custom computers AND a getrag 265. It was an awesome deal, I just couldn't come up with the cash in time, and now I just feel like this whole getting a motor in the car situation is pretty fucked, because I most likely wouldn't even be able to locate a used and stock M30B34/5 with a manual transmission for the price that I would have paid right off the bat for a built one. It's something that will bother me greatly, and probably the reason I'll never go through the effort of putting an B34/5 in the car.

I really don't care about having a high-horsepower motor in this car, or something fast, or something complicated to swap in. This car was never meant to be fast. I've always envisioned the end result to be a ratty old BMW that I cruise around in and hurt purist feelings with.

Comment

Yeah I know the east coast woes! I just moved from the east coast 9 months ago lol

No matter what you pick for an engine i know it'll be dope. Looking forward to seeing what's next!
                        Mercedes:
                        93' 190E Sportline
                        80' 450SEL 6.9
                        67' 250SE

Comment

Happy belated holidays. I put some currently unused BBS RX on the car so it doesn't look like a completely dilapidated piece of junk. I've located the donor motor for this car, another carbed M30. Hoping to be able to get it soon.

I have wheels from my E28 for sale and if you live on the Tri-State East Coast area, spread the word. I'd like to get them sold, as the funds from them should make it a little easier to comfortably do the motor swap, at least as far as finances go.

Comment

Sell the stock wheels that came on it to free up some funds. They look like early Ronal Kleeblatt's or Kleeblatt reps.
                            Follow on IG
                            amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
                            Vintage AME Wheels
                            RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
                            W115 & W123

Comment

Sad to do this, but she's for sale.

Comment

Its a bummer you have to sell her, I wish I could take her off your hands right now. You wouldn't be interested in trading for a project bmw 2002 + some cash from my end, right haha? Its mostly they're, some rust, main issue is front subframe damage. I'd part her out, I just don't have the heart to cut her up. If you are interested PM me, sorry for the hijack.

Comment

Working...
                                X