No announcement yet.

My landyatch - e38 740iL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got the engine almost completely apart today.

the grease and grime is really on there. very thick in certain areas. don't really want to go crazy in the garage and splash that stuff everywhere.
    outside isn't a much better option either unfortunately.
    i may try to find a place around here to give it an acid bath maybe? thoughts?
    instagram: @artur_bastos

My e38 Build

Comment

• Getting the parts hot tanked at an engine shop would get them the cleanest
      95 318ti & 96 328is

Compact Build Thread

Follow me on instagram: earlmeyeriii

Comment

• I fully agree with earl. If you have access to a shop with a hot tank thatd be your best bet
        Do you plan on rebuilding the motor? New chain guides atleast lol I heard those are the first things to go on these. So In for this build! I've always wanted to build a e38
        You drive your handicapped grandfather around in a car on cut coils? :facepalm:

Comment

• Originally posted by Earl View Post
          Getting the parts hot tanked at an engine shop would get them the cleanest
          Originally posted by B for Brian View Post
          I fully agree with earl. If you have access to a shop with a hot tank thatd be your best bet
          Do you plan on rebuilding the motor? New chain guides atleast lol I heard those are the first things to go on these. So In for this build! I've always wanted to build a e38
          Yea, i've been trying to find a local shop to do that but havent had much luck.
          I used different brushes, a tonne of degreaser and a pressure washer and got it looking pretty. there a few bits here and there that are tough to get at.
          I am doing the chain and guides yes. replacing all the seals as well. Ill probably pull the heads too when i do the chains and get them cleaned as well, get all that carbon buildup off.
          One thing at a time though. Today i made a tool to hold the crank and tmr i will get a piece of black iron pipe to use as a cheater bar to hopefully crack the jesus bolt holding the crank pulley lol
          then ill finally be able to take off those timing covers and ill see what the guides look like inside (i have a feeling theyre ok) but im this far im just replacing them.

My e38 Build

Comment

• Any plans for an exhaust on this?

I wonder what some custom headers & a port and polish would pick up on this engine, since you have it apart already, lol.

EDIT: I would recommend a complete overhaul, of all chains, guides, belts, everything. You've already got it apart! Do it once, do it right!

Comment

• Originally posted by becausephilchow View Post
              Any plans for an exhaust on this?

I wonder what some custom headers & a port and polish would pick up on this engine, since you have it apart already, lol.

EDIT: I would recommend a complete overhaul, of all chains, guides, belts, everything. You've already got it apart! Do it once, do it right!
              exhaust i was gonna swap my custom one from the previous car. sounds awesome!

ive been thinking of a port and polish too. debating wether or not would be worth the cost for this motor though. ill have to look into it. Do you have any recommendations for shops?

i am replacing all the chains, belts, gaskets, o rings etc etc.
              exactly, i figured i may as well since the motor is apart.

actually today i took off all of the timing covers finally and took a look inside the engine.

My e38 Build

Comment

• Might not be the same with e38's but the e39 m5 exhaust manifolds (headers) are a direct bolt on to the 540i. They would bolt up to yours, but as for clearance i'm not too sure...
                I am a party pooper. I poop at parties.

Comment

• Originally posted by e38art View Post
                  exhaust i was gonna swap my custom one from the previous car. sounds awesome!

ive been thinking of a port and polish too. debating wether or not would be worth the cost for this motor though. ill have to look into it. Do you have any recommendations for shops?

i am replacing all the chains, belts, gaskets, o rings etc etc.
                  exactly, i figured i may as well since the motor is apart.

actually today i took off all of the timing covers finally and took a look inside the engine.
                  Yup! That's a good idea.

Oh, nice. DMT Motorsports partners with a guy called Graham from Canadian Cylinder Heads or something like that. They're out around Keele/Sheppard I believe. He does great work.

As for the cost, I mean...depends on what your budget is, and how soon you're looking to get it all done, lol. Not even sure it'll yield anything to be honest.

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                  Might not be the same with e38's but the e39 m5 exhaust manifolds (headers) are a direct bolt on to the 540i. They would bolt up to yours, but as for clearance i'm not too sure...
                  That sounds interesting, lol. Pretty sure clearance wouldn't work though, but, you could probably find a set of cheap E39 M5 headers, and then hack around with them to see.

I used to have an E38 740, great cars, but...a little slow, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by becausephilchow View Post
                    Yup! That's a good idea.

Oh, nice. DMT Motorsports partners with a guy called Graham from Canadian Cylinder Heads or something like that. They're out around Keele/Sheppard I believe. He does great work.

As for the cost, I mean...depends on what your budget is, and how soon you're looking to get it all done, lol. Not even sure it'll yield anything to be honest.

That sounds interesting, lol. Pretty sure clearance wouldn't work though, but, you could probably find a set of cheap E39 M5 headers, and then hack around with them to see.

I used to have an E38 740, great cars, but...a little slow, lol.

ill do some looking around and see if it would be worth it.
                    honestly i only plan on using it as a daily and as a tow rig eventually so not overly concerned with alot of power.
                    would probably swap in an LS once/if the m62 goes boom

and yea theyre definitely no go kart like the MK5s lol if they have been rwd or even awd i probably wouldve kept mine.
                    but its ok ive got my e36 as well which i plan on making VERY fast....once the e38 is rolling and i have a reliable daily of course

My e38 Build

Comment

• got crafty today and built this...

wanted to drop the upper oil pan and couldnt do it with the motor on the stand.
                      separated a bunch of parts i would like cleaned. will try to take it to the machine shop to have them hot tanked so theyre nice and clean for paint!

also decided to not do the chains, guides and head gaskets. once i added up the amount of money i would have to invest in addition to how much ive already got tied up here it just didnt make sense for a stock motor. the engine itself only has 174xxx km (not miles), the guides look good and im sure the head gaskets are fine.
                      just gonna refresh everything else and then drive it till it goes kaboom.
                      then ill put in something that makes more power for less money, cough LS swap cough cough
                      im sure ill get flamed for this lol

My e38 Build

Comment

• I love it. an LS in an E38 would be absolutely nutty.

Comment

• long due update!

We got some nice weather here in Ontario this week so i found some time to degrease my engine bay enough. Also painted the engine.

if you scroll up the page youll see what it looked like before

engine color is a metallic copper. Accessories will be silver (for the most part) Might not be everyone's coup of tea but then again im the one driving this thing it'll be on theme with my brake calipers and wheels also.

speaking of brake calipers.....drum roll please......

FINALLY got my adapter brackets for my brembos fitted! No pics for now though.
                          I will post some once the front subframe and suspension are back on the car and i have the brakes fitted on the spindle again. But it does look very promising

My e38 Build

Comment

• Project overkill coming to a long awaited conclusion!

Finally got my brackets made after months of my machine shop slacking on it. Didnt fail to charge me an arm and a leg in the process once he finished and expect it immediately...

I started putting the front suspension back together and decided to test fit these bad boys. Just gotta paint them now

Finally got my brackets made after months of my machine shop slacking on it. Didnt fail to charge me an arm and a leg in the process once he finished and expect it immediately...

I started putting the front suspension back together and decided to test fit these bad boys. Just gotta paint them now

My e38 Build

Comment

• they look good on there, what care are theyoff of?

Comment

• Calipers and rotors are from E55 Mercedes AMG

My e38 Build

Comment

Working...
                                X