No announcement yet.

e30 316 rebuild from Finland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You should have left it the way it was and we would have a new Rusty Slammington on the forum
    Lucas
    Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
    Originally posted by LCG
    High 21! It's like a high 5 but includes both hands, both feet and a boner.

Comment

• Totally amazing work, all this parts remplaced and welded...

Comment

• so you finish my dream build, and then start another one, immediately after... haha I'm so jealous man

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Pazi88 View Post
          Engine out, ready to be scrapped:

Lucas
          Daily: 2004 Pontiac GTO. . . . . . . . . Daily Econobox: 2009 Mini Clubman Cooper
          Originally posted by LCG

Comment

• can we be best friends?

Comment

• Originally posted by loekaaz View Post

Yeah i'm always using the tractor

Comment

• It's been bit quiet, but at least I got new TIG welder.

I discovered that it's too heavy to carry around, so I made this for my welders:

And finally last week I got the parts I was waiting. First the new guiderail for upper chain because the old was cracked:

Then a upgrade parts for rattling VANOS unit. The brown piece on left is the old part and the parts right are the new upgraded version.

Then new coolant, oli and oil filter and everything is ready (the oil and coolant were mixed because leaking headgasket).

Finally short test to make sure that everything is working: http://instagram.com/p/uD3EReHD1h/

Comment

• that trolley is fucking brilliant!
                  Lucas
                  Originally posted by LCG

Comment

• I'm interested about this vanos upgrade, can you tell me more ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sbimy View Post
                      I'm interested about this vanos upgrade, can you tell me more ?
                      In the m50/m52 before 3/1995 the BMW uses this kind of VANOS system:

The fault in this is that the chain sprocket doesn't have any preload, so it will start making noise when worn.

From 3/1995 BMW started using upgraded vanos which has spring plate for creating preload:

To upgrade the older VANOS you need to change the parts 11, 10, 9 and 6:

1x 11361403823
                      1x 11361403550
                      1x 11361403822
                      3x 11361403824

You can find the same set form dr. vanos for example.

Comment

• That's a TON of work! Amazing attention to detail!

I too use tractor for engine pulling :
                        -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
                        '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
                        '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

• Originally posted by Pazi88 View Post
                          In the m50/m52 before 3/1995 the BMW uses this kind of VANOS system:
                          [IMG]

The fault in this is that the chain sprocket doesn't have any preload, so it will start making noise when worn.

From 3/1995 BMW started using upgraded vanos which has spring plate for creating preload:
                          [IMG]
                          To upgrade the older VANOS you need to change the parts 11, 10, 9 and 6:

1x 11361403823
                          1x 11361403550
                          1x 11361403822
                          3x 11361403824

You can find the same set form dr. vanos for example.
                          Thx a lot

My e34 make a little strange noise around 3000rpm, but i don't know if it come from vanos... So i'll do it and i'll see !

Comment

• After finishing the engine, it seemed to work fine. So I went to dyno to get the papers, so I can get this legally registered in finland (I have to prove that engine has less than 204hv). After little bit of tweaking we got the low enough numbers from the engine.

But just after day this happened:

Suddenly the temperatures started rising and there was big cloud of mist. So I stopped and we towed the car to inspect what went wrong:

So nothing serious. The fan just hit the radiator and broke it. I need the change it electrical one, so that would not happen again.

Also after driving few hundred kilometers, I found several things that need to be fixed. First of all the seat belts weren't working. That's because I accidentally mixed belts from different model year. So I had to change them to match each other.

Also the drivers seat felt very loose, even after fixing that. So I took it apart again and found this:

Good place to learn tig welding:

And after that fix, the seat felt solid again.

Then smaller things. For example new license plate lights:

And I took the tint off the headlights (not legal in finland):

And notice how high it is I had to raise it to get the whole thing registered. That's because you need to have at least 8 cm ground clearance to be legal. Don't worry. I will lower it again, after I get it registered

And then to that other e30. First we removed the crusty old rear section:

Only big hole left:

Welding some new sheet metal:

Unfortunately, I forgot to take the picture from finished piece. But here's picture of my brother trying to dig through to floor by hand

Then we started fixing the framerail:

All rust cut out:

And weld new pieces in place:

Both fixed:

Comment

• The white E30 reminds me of the ship of Theseus paradox haha... (if you dont know what I'm talking about its the thought experiment that asks if you replace all parts of the white E30... is it still the same car?)

Very impressed by both of these builds. Wish I had a barn to fix cars in haha.
                              sigpic
                              1978 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D "Sabine"

Rest of Benz fam.
                              1980 Mercedes-Benz W123 300CD (brothers)
                              1994 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E (dads)
                              1998 Mercedes-Benz W196 ML320 (moms)

instagram: chucky332

Comment

• Originally posted by chucky332 View Post
                                The white E30 reminds me of the ship of Theseus paradox haha... (if you dont know what I'm talking about its the thought experiment that asks if you replace all parts of the white E30... is it still the same car?)
                                I don't think it matters how much original car there is This is not some matching number build. More like zero budget missile build

But it's starting to be winter in Finland, so next road test for the turbo e30 will be in spring. Because of winter I sold my audi and got more suitable winter beater:

But there isn't going to be anything special in that so let's move to the e30.

From the white one, we removed lots of rust with few cuts:

So now there is huge hole in the trunk floor:

And we had time to make "patch":

That flat sheet metal can look bit wobbly.But next we will add new frame beams for the seat belt supports and for the rear axle, so those will strengthen up the floor. We are also using e34 axle, so we cannot fit the stock gas tank. Instead we are going to put fuel cell in the trunk and it will be sunk to trunk floor and that will also give more strength.

Comment

Working...
                                X