This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TeckniX View Post
    No expert but it looks like you're not getting a good shielding. What is your flow set to and how long do you post flow?
    Flow is about 13 liters per minute? cfh rate about 20? should be plenty. I think i craked this problem, that might have been that i didnt clean the parts well enought. ive been using this industrial grease remover. that is used in paint shops. i think i need to change it to acetone. and test some new pipings.

Post flow was about 3seconds. but tbh, i dont think that will affect the whole weld. i think the rst wasnt clean enough so thats why the welds are dirty as well.

Oh yea, somehow this image was left out.
    Last edited by Exami; 02-09-2015, 12:57 AM.
    Project car: MB 190E M50 Turbo build
    Now: MB W211 320cdi
    Ex:MB 190E M50, BMW E39 530d

Comment

• Originally posted by mikey G View Post
      I wanted to ask you guys a questions. What machine would you recommend for me to start getting more practice on. Im by not means experienced but I really want to get better. With that being said I was looking at a millermatic 180 auto-set. Would us spending the extra 600 dollars for a miller diversion 180 be worth it? Again im buying this for my "at home shop". Really just something we can practice with and work our way into fabrication our own stuff.
      The difference in the two machines you're talking about is night and day. Mig and Tig are far different processes, so you really need to look at what you will be using it for and what your end goal is with welding. Mig will be easier to learn but has it's limits, Tig is more versatile but is harder to learn. Also do you plan on any work with aluminum? If so Tig is certainly the way to go. Basically just figure out your plans for a machine and go from there. Either way you can't go wrong with a Miller.

Comment

• Got my tube front all done and painted.

Comment

• I diagnosed my issue on the welds, its oxidation... bad argon shield. changed better gaslens.. now welds looks alot better.

Compared to the previous:

Gas flow was not changed just the lens for this type:

(in order to get rid of all the coloring i should bring up the post flow couple seconds its now 6seconds..)
          -Cheers
          Project car: MB 190E M50 Turbo build
          Now: MB W211 320cdi
          Ex:MB 190E M50, BMW E39 530d

Comment

• When the repair panel costs more than the car did.

The gun on my welder (mig\mag Lincoln something170amp) is on its very very last legs, so the welds get kinda uneven. AND this would be my first rust repair on a car! Only done exhaust, and thick stuff before, so have held a welding gun before, but thats about it!

Comment

• First off, good on you M.Do for starting this thread. We can all stand to learn a little something from each other.
              Here's my 2 pennies worth for now, in reference to overhead welding but equally as important for most every weld. Body position is important to keep welds consistent. If you're constantly twitching or stopping cos you're getting burned your welds will show it. Overhead is the toughest to position for since it's usually in the hardest-to-reach spots, but you can still minimize how much splatter you take to the chest by thinking about body position for an extra second.

Originally posted by Garrett B View Post
              I've always wondered when welding with 6010 my welds are pretty good but is there any possible way to cut down on all the splatter?
              In my experience, 6010 electrode is usually used in an application where you can't get a super clean weld joint and have to burn thru extra crud. That's pretty much the nature of 6010. If it's possible, try a different stick and you'll more than likely produce a nicer looking weld. I say all of this assuming that you're welding mild steel

Cheers
              conversion syndicate*

4g63 swapped Hilux: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75423

ig: makercruuz

Comment

• So i just got my mig welder and i really want to start welding soon but i can't find anywhere to buy materials for my build...I'm looking for sheet metal for body panels and square tubing...where does everyone get their supplies?

Comment

• Try here newcastle > http://metalsupermarkets.com/seattle-kent/

You might find some stuff cheaper somewhere else, but the selection of in-stock material is pretty excellent at the one near me. Here's another hint: before you have them pull a length from the shelf and cut it for you, ask if you can look thru their 'drops'. This is all the leftovers that are <8' usually, they should only charge by weight. Sheet drops are clutch since most times I only need a smaller piece anyways. Happy hunting
                  conversion syndicate*

4g63 swapped Hilux: http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=75423

ig: makercruuz

Comment

• Hi, if anyone of us has an experience in welding cast-iron ? I need make a cast-iron base under the turbocharger, I heard somewhere that i can use stainless steel wire in mig weld, do you know something about this ?

Comment

• For welding cast you it's best to pre-heat over 500*F and weld with low current. You want to use a filler metal with a high nickel content in it and at low current. Best to TIG weld it as you can concentrate your heat a lot better than say with MIG. This is more so done for repair work than making a new assembly joining pieces of cast together. What do you mean by a cast iron base under your turbo? is it possible to be done out of stainless steel/ mild steel?
                      1958 Chevy Apache shop truck build

Commonwealth

W201/W124 Control arms and bag brackets

http://www.commonwealthmotoring.com/
                      Air ride and custom parts
                      IG - Commonwealth_mf FB - https://facebook.com/commonwealthmotoring

Comment

• So the base of turbocharger is different than the exhaust port

Blue element is base of turbo, analogously the gray element is the base of exhaust port

I need to cut the grey base and weld the blue section. I look for the best way to do this.

Comment

• I'd suggest making a new flange out of steel and cutting the old one off. Weld the new flange on how I said in my previous post using GTAW or SMAW and a rod with high nickel content. Preheat the part completely with a torch or an oven then when you're done welding wrap it in a fiber blanket or leather blanket/ welding coat to allow for a slow cooling rate to prevent cracking. You can peen the weld as well to relieve stress.

A rod like this will be what you want
                          http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...incolnElectric)

This tig rod as well would work as it has a high nickel content (looking for something above 2%)
                          http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...incolnElectric)
                          1958 Chevy Apache shop truck build

Commonwealth

W201/W124 Control arms and bag brackets

http://www.commonwealthmotoring.com/
                          Air ride and custom parts
                          IG - Commonwealth_mf FB - https://facebook.com/commonwealthmotoring

Comment

• I'm having trouble TIG welding aluminum again.

My settings are as follows:

3/32 2% thoriated tungsten slightly tapered
                            #5 cup
                            130 amps
                            65% AC balance
                            110 AC frequency
                            15 cfm argon flow

All I want to do it lay a bead with no filler on a clean piece of aluminum. However the tungsten keeps melting up into the cup and shows no desire to even start a puddle. It just zaps an area the size of a dime. I got these settings from weldingtipsandtricks.com so I'm pretty sure it's me that's the problem. There are no other settings being used (pulse, pre/post flow, etc.). What am I doing wrong?

Instagram: surpriseitsmicah

Builds:

Comment

• I found the error of my ways. I had the polarity reversed (was welding with a negative electrode). I have added my learnings to the front page. Experts, please check my work!

Instagram: surpriseitsmicah

Builds:

Comment

• Question for the welders, I've got an old Hobart MIG and I'm trying to source a new gun for it. It's a Tweco gun but, it doesn't have a part number. Does anyone know what style this is? I know there's a Lincoln and miller style guns, but this is a bit different.

Comment

Working...
                                X