<<uk '83 vw golf>>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <<uk '83 vw golf>>

Finally managed to bag my self a lock up so thought it about time to throw up a little progress thread. My names Nick from the from over the pound in soggy England. I had a short thread about my old van.

This, however, was still a work van. And running low with a back full of gear was tedious, to say the least.

After beaching it on the gate stop of a very expensive house and having to get the grounds keeper to help jack it up and board the wheels I got the dog with it a sold it for something far more practical.

Anyway, I digress.

I've wanted a mk1 golf for years, I ally found my self in a position to buy this bad boy. To be fair it was the first car I looked at, it ticked all the boxes. Dry stored, rare colour and when the guy put the key in it and it started first turn I had to have it.

It started life as a 1.1 hatch and the guy before the guy I bought it off put the running gear from a gti, 1.8dx injection.

I was going to take it down the s1 route, chrome bumpers, brown leather & tweed interior.

So sourced a brown dash, made a stealth enclosure for the head unit and drilled a blank plate to except the chrome vdo gauges.

As per usually I had a last minute change if heart, it's not an early series1 so why pretend it is?! It's actually one of the last cars to roll of the production line at the beginning of '83 so settled on a more period direction the 80's!

Sourced a Zender spoiler.

And a Kamei scoop..

Mate bought a mk1 Jetta.

Stayed like this for 8months or so until a mate that owns a garage suggested a bike carb conversion.

Bolted on a 4-1 Ashely mani, vernier pulley and up rated belt.

At that to the already fitted fast road cam and the rr read out looked like this.

Whilst it was in the garage a mate tried his wheels on for size.

Which lead me to my wheel choice..

Wanted something different and found these for a ton on eGay.

Polished.

But really should have done some fitment research.

A little digging revealed they're actually 1972 Shelby permacasts, pretty rare over here anyway. So I'll have to hold on to them.

So onwards with the wheel search.

Another eGay find, needed a bit of work and bolts.

So this

Plus this

And this

Equals this

Then add these.

And done!

Fitment check? Needs work.

Which brings us up to the start of this year. Lock up secured and tear down begins. The previous owner had one side painted, the wrong green. It was hard to tell, but once I noticed it may well have been red.

Arches off.

Stone chip off.

And replaced

It seems to have had a front end knock.

Rolled the arches and size up the spats.

Sorted out the only rust spot!

And filled the panel joins.

Delt with a rusty blemish on the scuttle.

Welded up the ariel hole.

Delt with some high spots

Welded and filled the boot catch

A mate popped down with his new wheels.

Mega lolz at the stretch. #DEATHTRAP #blowoutonthemotorway.

Bought the old girl a little crimbo prezzy.

Not bad for £150.

This lead to a idea, the 80's for me conjure images of big hair and bright colours.

This bright!

Cool Christmas gift from the wife.

On the main reason the girls been ripped down, the paint.

This is about £100 worth of eBay bits.

This is a frame of plumbing pipe and fixings.

Plastic dust sheet.

Make shift spray booth y'all!

Mixed.

Filtered..

And good to go.

This is where I lost pics of the perfect paint job and start spouting on about how good I am with a gun. ��

Not quite, this was the very first time I'd used a spray gun, I've used 100's of cans in the past but never a gun. When we were filling it I thought I looked a bit thin but cracked on none the less.

Epic fail!

However we realised the primer in the tin wasn't mixed properly. I shook it but clearly not enough. But the second shoot was a lot better.

Guide coat revealed quite a difference in the condition between the wings.

After wildly underestimating the amount of paint I'd need got some proper gear..

And after the mishap with the quality of mixing made a mixer for the drill..

The second attempt went well.

And that's where we are now, was going to head down today but didn't, true story. Just have to wait till the end of the month now to buy some colour.

PEACE.
    Last edited by BIGNICK; 01-12-2014, 08:04 AM.

Subscribed and looking forward to more great progress

So much easier having your own unit isn't it.

Comment

Nice cars mate. Good work!

Love the Golf!

Zacne on facebook: www.facebook.com/ZACNEWheels

Zacne on instagram: @zacnewheels

Comment

Originally posted by The Simps View Post
        Subscribed and looking forward to more great progress

So much easier having your own unit isn't it.
        Thanks pal!
        It makes so much difference having a unit. I was keeping her on the road and last year when it snowed it was killing me, the cars managed to make it 30yrs in good nick, I'd **** to be the one that let her rust to death. It is half an hr out of town and I've had to move half an hr out of town the other way, so it takes me an hr to get there.

Thanks Zacne_4. ☺️

Comment

good stuff happening in here, in for progress.
          Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster
          Internet high five for you.

Comment

I know what you mean. My unit is 30mins away. Ive know got my apartment in the city up for sale because I want to move out closer to the unit or to a house with a double garage or room to build one!

Comment

Awesome work! Keen for updates

Comment

Awesome build. Those look like some really healthy numbers for an 8v. Anything else done to it aside from the carbs?

Comment

Aw my goodness! The amazing Ideas that are just flowing like the amazon river is purely awesome! That stick u call a mixer with the 3 screws was one idea that ive never seen b4 haha! Top work mate! Subscribed!
                  "Dont let the opinions of the average man sway you.
                  Dream, and he thinks your crazy.
                  Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky.
                  Aquire wealth, and he thinks your greedy.
                  Pay no attention. He simply does'nt understand"

Comment

Thanks again guys, nothing like a bit of appreciation to keep the motivation up. I didn't end up going to the lock up yesterday, I wish I did now. 😩

Originally posted by aaron22 View Post
                    Awesome build. Those look like some really healthy numbers for an 8v. Anything else done to it aside from the carbs?
                    I was impressed! Running a Kent fast road cam, verinier pulley and updated belt and a4-1 mani the heads I good nick but I wouldn't say it's been polished. I've got a spare flywheel that's going to get lightened and I'm looking in too a new exhaust, I don't want it to sound like a kids shitty nova tho.

Comment

Awesome work bud!!

Comment

Mk1's can be uber cool, if done right, you sir are doing it right

Comment

This is build is awesome, superb attention to detail.
                          Originally posted by s t a y g o l d
                          and don't trash talk people, that's for hos at the club.
                          S4 Avant - Build Thread

Comment

Saw a rainbow a work today!

It was still an utterly shit day. ��

The mrs is working late, so I did what every reliable husband would do. Drove an hour to the lock up and painted a bit more of my car..

Rubbed out the first attempt/fail on the bonnet..

Re painted, much bettererererrr..

Managed to hit up the inside..

Colour next!!

PEACE!

Comment

Good skillz son

Comment

Working...
                              X