Creating the Perfect Daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating the Perfect Daily

I got this car about a year ago and it is my first car. For a while nothing happened because I only made enough money to pay for my gas. Earlier this year, I got a job as a "freelance contractor" for a software company. I was supposed to make quite a bit more money than my last job, and I did for about two months, but now something happened with all the contractor paychecks, and mine is two months late and I'm still working on getting it to me, so I am sort of between jobs and don't have any money, so no real progress on my car will happen for a little while. I've had to borrow a lot of money from my parents , so most of that paycheck will be used to pay them back, but I'll be working at some of the races at Road Atlanta, so assuming I find a job soon, that money can be used for parts. So now onto the car:

It is a 2001 VW Jetta with the 2.0 litre engine. When I first got the car, I ***** how slow it was, but I needed the gas mileage, so I eventually got over that desire to go fast, and realized that this car is a great commuter car. But as we all know here, no car is perfect from the beginning .

So far, I've only done a few things, as I am driving to two different schools every day and that uses a lot of gas, and I've not been making a lot of money at any point since I got the car.

The very first thing I did to the car was put in an iPod adapter and run the cable through the center console because the only aftermarket head units I like are the touchscreens, and at the time, I didn't think those were worth the money.

Not long after that, I got a set of long beach wheels because I ***** the 15" avuses. They were plastidipped black and had a huge gash in them, but they were a good price, so I got them and immediately pulled the plastidip off and filled the gash with metal filler. I got dark grey plastidip as a temporary thing until I pulled them back off to paint them. At about the same time, I debadged the Jetta letters because to me they look like the stick-on AutoZone letters.

Not a lot happened for a couple months, then I painted the rear VW badge black to match the front one, as well as bought some used spacers and bolts and put them on and installed clear side markers.

A few weeks later, I got my WRD coilovers in the mail. I paid a guy from another forum I am on to put the coils on for me because I have almost zero mechanical experience. Those went on, and the long beaches came off. I have seven threads left in the front, but I haven't decided if I'll go down more or not.

So far, that is all I have done, but I was on my school's Scotland exchange, and the kids from Scotland just left about 30 minutes ago (I am not ashamed to say that was the most emotional thing I've been through, and I am writing this through teary eyes ), so this weekend I should finally have time to start sanding the long beaches and painting them silver. Also, the guy that did my coils said he has a set of Brembo pads and rotors that he would give me that came off his car when he upgraded his brakes again, so over the next couple weeks, I'll get the car aligned, get the long beaches back on, and get new pads and rotors.

The car is pretty slow, and the headliner and one of the door cards are starting to sag, so I have quite a few plans for this car. I am not going to make it lay frame or make it into a race car, I am just going to make it into what I think is the perfect daily driver.

My plans for the exterior are:
    • Glass headlight lenses
    • Euro tails
    • Side skirts

My plans for the interior are:
    • Brown suede door card inserts, pillars, and headliner
    • Get rid of the peeling soft touch and paint those pieces black
    • Black carpet
    • Touch screen double-din head unit
    • Armstrong clan tartan shift boot (because that's my name)
    • Subwoofer with a box covered in the same tartan wool
    • Tan leather seats (possibly)

My plans for performance are:
    • Chip
    • 260 cam
    • Techtonics exhaust
    • Lighter underdrive pulleys
    • TT short shifter

Wow, that was a lot longer than I expected it to be.

Nice car, looks like it's in great condition. I had the same thing with the doorcards on a 96 Passat, lots of VW's seem to have that problem.
    Never solved it though.
    I'm curious how the long beaches will look when you're done with them.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with anything performance other than the exhaust. It's not worth trying to get power out of the 2.slo. Everything else is looking great!

Comment

Originally posted by dubs&boost View Post
        I wouldn't bother with anything performance other than the exhaust. It's not worth trying to get power out of the 2.slo. Everything else is looking great!
        I am still undecided on the performance stuff, but I've been doing a lot of research on it, and those mods combined will make it much peppier. If all goes as planned, I will be keeping this car through college, which will be another four and a half years, so it would be nice to have something that isn't slower than almost every car on the road.

My plans on mods for the car change pretty regularly, but I am 100% sure the exhaust and glass lenses will be the next mods after the brakes and long beaches are on, beyond that and the interior, nothing is for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
          Nice car, looks like it's in great condition.
          Thanks, the paint looks good from a distance, but up close you notice the dings and scratches as well as the two or three spots where the clear is chipped. For being almost 13 years old and having 175,000 miles though, it is in very good shape.

I got a little progress done today. It took me seven hours to get all of the plastidip off and the wheels clean. A word of advice, do not plastidip something that has been sanded. It does not just peel off of that. Here they are now though, and they will be about the same color as they are now once they've all been painted. They have a lot more imperfections than you can see in the pictures and you can see which one I did the work to.

Comment

Finished painting the wheels today. I am hopefully getting the new brakes and these wheels mounted tomorrow.

I changed the orientation of the picture, I'm not sure why it is still vertical

And an update on my job situation. I am having to hire a lawyer to get my paycheck at my current job, and I applied at Menchies on Monday, and I am going to call them back tomorrow because I've always been told that if I want a job, then I have to call them until they are annoyed enough to give me an interview
            Last edited by TheTynosaur; 10-16-2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I guess no one is interested, but I'll keep updating anyway

I got the long beaches on last Thursday, and I am still trying to find a shop that will even try to get the car on the alignment rack... and it isn't even that low

Comment

I loved my mark 4. Keep going bud, you're on the right track! Here is what mine looked like TDI, maybe it'll inspire you in some way
                Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

1999 C43 AMG (no thread..yet)

Comment

Love the color.

Comment

I hit a huge bump in a construction zone yesterday and now the one if the tires is rubbing the fender liner at every bump. I can't pull the fender liner out of that side because of the CAI, so I guess I'll just cut out the part that's rubbing. I'm not sure why it only started from that, I am really hoping that I didn't break anything

Sent from my HTC 3D using Tapatalk 2

Comment

This isn't what I wanted to come out to see today.

It's leaking through the pillar down to the passenger floorboard.

I've no idea how to even go about fixing a leak, so I guess I'll be taking a trip to the mechanic next week.

Comment

Do you have a sunroof?

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Originally posted by 244Brick View Post
                          Do you have a sunroof?
                          Yeah, but the leak seems to be coming from the top of the A pillar, could it be getting there all the way from the sunroof?

Sent from my HTC 3D using Tapatalk 2

Comment

dont know how the sunroof is constructed, but i had same problem in my volvo 850. Try to clean those water drain canals or what are they called. Im a Finnish so ill apologize my bad english. It also can be a windshield seal whats leaking. Nice Jetta or should i say Bora
                            BMW 525IA Touring -94

Comment

The longbeaches look 100 percent twice as 50 times better in silver.

Comment

Working...
                              X