FC RX7 5.0 race car thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SnazzyQ View Post
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat how often do you come down there?

This was the first time I've been there with the car.
    I've been for Nissanfest and Formula D a bunch of times though

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• how did that clutch line setup workout??

Comment

• Originally posted by 805vert View Post
        how did that clutch line setup workout??

good so far, no heat soak issues or anything to speak of

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• loooong overdue update:

Been listening to a lot of stuff but this album resurfaced to my attention. I strongly dislike the name "Pure Heroine" but that aside its really good.

Bought a used MSD Digital 6, was pretty stoked on having a rev limiter and a 2 step

However after messing with it for a few days and trying it out on a co-workers camaro with a work D6, it turned out to be bad. But the guy I bought it from was a champ and gave me my money back.

took it drag racing, pulled a 13.8 @ 100.1 on my first pass, spent the rest of the night chasing that number. Which is pretty typical for a drag night for me haha, my 1st or 2nd pass is always the fastest.

Don't mind the Lambo/GTR race before I slayed the rental dodge dart

Had a real fun time going through tech, I knew it was going to take a minute to check all the tags etc, but the idiot tech-ing me didn't pass english in high school apparently. He started reading the wrong rule set, then after finding the right one he wouldn't read past the 1st sentence regarding battery locations. But after 3 inspectors and the head inspector all had a look they passed me, like 30 min after entering tech.
          I got 4 passes in before somebody downed the whole track in synthetic oil.

went camping, I'm very proud of this packing job. Rx7's are so practical

Then on the 21st me and two buddies drove down to Penticton speedway for our first real drift event.

trip didn't go exactly as planned, 240 blew an axle just under 2 hours in. We limped it to a Lordco, pulled the axle and left it. Picked it up on the way home, but it sucked not having him drive.
          But we had a good time and it went well otherwise. I think I surprised a few people that thought it was just a janky stock-ish rx7.

Had no problems with tech this time lol, we would run a layout and then change it maybe once an hour or so. Great variety and it was a great learning environment.

I went from spinning like 4 times in a row, to being able to link the whole course in under a day. Though some of it felt like cheating because I could just power through to extend a drift rather than doing extra manji's.

Car did great, ended up taking the hood off to deal with the high ambient temps, but pretty much every other car there was hoodless. There was a few guys there practicing for the Drift Union Invitational (aka Canada Bash) so there was some talent mixed in with us newbies. There was also like 2 cars on fire, but no crashes (1 seriously close near miss).

I love banks, car did very nicely on the bank portions. E brake however, doesn't work worth beans, regardless of what I tried. Thankfully I have enough power that I can work around it, but I'm now looking at building a dual caliper/ hydro setup.

went through 3 sets of tires (1 set in 3 laps of the bank layout) but not from making smoke, they just chunked apart really bad lol. hopefully my next set of burners will wear a little better.

heres 2 vids Sean got from the passenger seat

both are from the same layout, it was a 3rd gear bank entry to what should have been an E brake slide into a hair pin (I just kinda straightened and shift locked 2nd) then back the other way into another hairpin.

First dday was a success, I didn't crash or break anything!

Then I got some gold things in the mail

Toe rods and a solid front diff mount for the v8 car.

and some comp coils and DTSS elim's for the daily. Still letting them break-in but man are they harsh compared to the pros in the v8. Time will tell but at least they will allow some very small wheel gap for when my wheels arrive.
          Don't think I mentioned it, but I ordered some diamond steelies for the daily, and I think I may have been the first pre-order for the 1552's. My order was in under 10 min after they sent the email lol.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Hey man, was trying to figure out if you had problems with your clutch slave? I'm having ma or issues. I have a wilwood clutch slave. And when I press the clutch to bleed it. It gets a little stiff, then the boot fills with fluid and bleeds out. Plus the pedal does not come back up after bleeding. I tried bleeding like 8 times. There was no air in the system anymore. And then bamm, all the liquid leaks out

Comment

• Originally posted by DreKay3 View Post
              Hey man, was trying to figure out if you had problems with your clutch slave? I'm having ma or issues. I have a wilwood clutch slave. And when I press the clutch to bleed it. It gets a little stiff, then the boot fills with fluid and bleeds out. Plus the pedal does not come back up after bleeding. I tried bleeding like 8 times. There was no air in the system anymore. And then bamm, all the liquid leaks out
              its blown i'm guessing. fluid isn't supposed to come out of there.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• once again its been a while, life's crazy trying to get everything ready for everything while working overtime in between lol.

Was given this album and told I had to listen to it, I see why. Kinda wrote Hozier off after hearing "Take Me To Church" like 15 times a day on the radio, but maaaaan this album is good. Soulful and kinda bluesy, not what I was expecting. Great throughout.

And now for something completely different, Filter's Best Of album. Made the late nights in the garage go by, still good if you ask me. Not in love with all of it however, but yes I do like Take A Picture as well as the rest (mostly)

now being busy

IMG_7112

put the subframe goodies in. Also hammered out the floor where it had been contacting under full travel and painted it. I'll have to see if I did enough hammering. Note to people looking to put these subframe risers in a street car, there is hammering involved.

IMG_7116

then picked up my wheels for the daily, and then tires.

IMG_7119

My plan for this last weekend was to go to Formula Drift at Evergreen with the daily car looking good, then have the drift car loaded and on a trailer waiting for me. I would leave FD as soon as it was over then sleep a bit and leave at 5 am for Penticton. With the help of some awesome friends this all happened basically to plan.

IMG_7120

So got the tires mounted and balanced (shoutout to Brandon) and bought some preventative maintenance items and such (shoutout to Jesse) (he keeps all the RX7 stuff in stock cuz he has one lol) and proceeded to spend an entire weekend 5 lug swapping and fitting the wheels. I went with a different tire than when I borrowed the wheels before, I'm regretting this. These are just too big looking. Also got those Muteki lugs, which i'm pretty happy with. If you're careful they won't scratch, but they are just painted steel.

IMG_7135

so got her looking good for FD, just to have some clown hit it in a parking lot the day after I finished everything

IMG_2056

was really choked about that, I would be less choked if it happened after FD, but it didn't. So I tried to make the best of it and mangled the fender so the tire wouldn't rub and wrote "this is why we can't have nice things" where the paint chipped off. Got a lol or two

But, but but but but, finally these things showed up at my door.

IMG_7114

after a screw up by Fedex and a delay for hub centric rings they landed on my door with just enough time to get tires on them for dday.
                While on the phone with 1552 trying to figure out where the clerical mistake was made I learned I was the first web order for the tarmac "2.0". And possibly the first RX7, he hadn't heard or seen anyone with Tarmacs on an FC or even any gen RX7. Somebody tell me if I'm wrong here but I'm claiming first.

Also take notes ppl *cough* diamondracingsteelies *cough*, that is how you package a wheel

IMG_7118

really impressed with the quality of these things, the cnc'd logo on the front is a nice touch too. While they are no RPF1 they are decently light too

IMG_7117

IMG_7123

they at 17x9 +30 fit with minimal clearance to everything. No more rubbing at full lock

IMG_7121

IMG_7122

then got some 215/45r17 Zenna Argus UHP (very chinese but surprisingly a pretty good tire) mounted. Funny thing with these wheels is the rear lip is much bigger than the front, which you can really see in the 2nd pic

IMG_7132

made a template for a ball joint spacer bracket, local guy made ones similar out of 1/4" plate with great results so I'm probably going to give these a go.

IMG_7128

heres with just the bj spacer

IMG_7128

IMG_7129

and heres with the 1" spacer I'm running on the fronts that I forgot to take a pic of

IMG_7125

IMG_7127

will probably get to that one day, but need less camber and overs or something lol.

IMG_7131

snagged the last set of Muteki SR48's from Image In Motion, our local cool car parts store

IMG_7133

look at all the locks now. Abercrombie rack spacers, 17x9 et +5, 215/45r17

IMG_7134

then gave them a bath

IMG_7136

IMG_7139

IMG_7140

IMG_7141

one more, everybody's here for the pics anyway right? we all love pics

IMG_7142

then loaded the truck and trailer with too many tires (it rained) and went to bed

IMG_2067

completely forgot to take pics when at FD of my car... but oh well.

IMG_7165

IMG_7161

met some cool new people on friday night while hanging out with some fellow Canadians, then it rained. Had an 'interesting' time with the hotel situation but managed to get a few hours sleep there before being woken up by everyone else getting ready for Offset Kings roll in. But that was cool cuz I joined them and got prime parking in front of the entrance.

FD was great, I disagree with a few judging calls, got to meet some drivers, got to meet some awesome people, missed seeing a local guy to me destroy the bad of his red s14 on sunday, got a lot of cool stickers, didn't get a Denofa racing hat, got some compliments on the blue car and just all around had a good time hanging out with the Good Vibes bunch.

But then it was onto business, as I had a lot of driving ahead of me.

IMG_7187

went down with 2 buddies who were towing his Skyline, my alarm didn't go off so we left a bit late, but made killer time and what is usually a 4-5 hour drive in the day we made in 3.5 in the morning pulling a trailer no less. We ran into another guy pulling up his car so we all convoyed up together. This pic was at one of many pee breaks when I managed to catch up to the diesels in my apparently wimpy gas 6 litre lol.

now I don't have any pics of the day cuz I was busy driving, but my good buddy was shooting a wedding in Penticton on the saturday, he came buy and had a great time doing ride alongs and taking some pics with his cameras. He's gonna send me some but hasn't had a chance to go through them yet.

I did do this tho

IMG_7191

spun out and slid into a tire barrier thing and gave the rear a little tap. cracked the tailight, wrinkled the corner and ruined paint on the bumper. I don't care really, but I can tell girls now I wall tapped right?
                I felt like I drove better on the first event, but I was trying a few new things this time around. Added caster which I think i'll remove until power steering, new wheels could max out lock without any rub which I guess I had been waiting for to tell me where the limit was. But did some tandems (well 'tandems') in the rain with Alex (the multi colour coupe) and had a good time.

heres some shots from stops we made on the way home

IMG_7194

IMG_7197

got the most of the squad here, and they are filthy

Spoiler: we don't know how to hard pose

IMG_7200

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• going to be up at Evergreen for Open Drift on aug 16th, if anyone's local come say hi lol

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Wait was this yours sitting out front by the entrance?

Also I may be able to drop by on the 16th if I dont forget haha

Comment

• Originally posted by SnazzyQ View Post
                      Wait was this yours sitting out front by the entrance?

Also I may be able to drop by on the 16th if I dont forget haha
                      yup, that was mine. race car was on a trailer waiting for me to get home lol. Got there real early to score some extremely prime parking. Was super convenient actually.

My buddy Isaac Wray (check out his website http://isaacwray.com and his Instagram @isaacwray) sent me some pics he took from the last drift day in Penticton. Makes the turd mobile look kinda interesting.

IMG_0227

IMG_0251

IMG_0275

IMG_0344

IMG_0375

IMG_0389

heres some he got of the rest of the field

IMG_0325

IMG_0384

IMG_0401

My bud Kris in his 4 door R32, we rode 4 deep for 2 laps in the skyline. Great fun.

IMG_0366

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• If I have time the 16th I'll go, solely for motivation and to check out your car lol. Looking good, I need to get my priorities straight and get back to work on my FC.

Comment

• Hope your mazda is doing good! Finally got mine running! Did a quick video of it, its not a first start but a little preview of it.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qDk6RN51K4

Got to drive it a little, the 4.11 gears in the back are probably a bit to high but it seems to handle the v8 up front pretty well! But found out the trans needed to be rebuilt so its on the bench right now with a rebuild kit waiting to go in. Then should be off to the exhaust shop after and then ready for final touches!
                          Instagram @Petrol360

88 RX7 FC 5.0
                          77 Yamaha XS400

Comment

• Sweet build man, i have been doing the same thing (kindq) for a few months and stumbed upon this thread. Awesome work by the way. i might have missed it but what did you end up doing to get a radiator in there...?

Comment

• Much love man. SAVE ALL FCS! (Even if the V8 swap doesn't exactly get me giddy) Still good shit.

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=76550

Comment

• Originally posted by Monster Sipper View Post
                                Sweet build man, i have been doing the same thing (kindq) for a few months and stumbed upon this thread. Awesome work by the way. i might have missed it but what did you end up doing to get a radiator in there...?
                                thanks, I pretty much just tilted the stock rad a bit more and moved it forward a few inches.

Originally posted by RowdyRoddinRyan View Post
                                Much love man. SAVE ALL FCS! (Even if the V8 swap doesn't exactly get me giddy) Still good shit.
                                ha thanks

Originally posted by Skervey View Post
                                Hope your mazda is doing good! Finally got mine running! Did a quick video of it, its not a first start but a little preview of it.
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qDk6RN51K4

Got to drive it a little, the 4.11 gears in the back are probably a bit to high but it seems to handle the v8 up front pretty well! But found out the trans needed to be rebuilt so its on the bench right now with a rebuild kit waiting to go in. Then should be off to the exhaust shop after and then ready for final touches!
                                siiiick, get her going. ya 4.10 is a short gear for v8's but I've so far just ran taller tires to compensate.

well been a while. I've had a busy summer. and I got lazy somewhere in there.

I have an update brewing, been to a drift day since the last one. Am planning to be at Monroe again on the 17th and Western speedway for pumpkin smash on the 24/25th.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

Working...
                                X