Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zach Thomas View Post
    As always, very nice work!

Aaaaaannnnnnd question time for you my searching has failed me. On the Mustang mini starters (the stock ones on at least the 94-95s, maybe other years) the solenoid on the starter has the one stud that goes to the positive battery terminal and the other that goes to the ignition switch. Is there any reason to not just directly hook up the starter wire off the ignition switch to the solenoid? As in no relay or anything? I can't see how it would really hurt it seeing as all the diagrams show the starter wire being 18 gauge or so, but as I mentioned earlier I seem to have a hard time to finding some answers from the Ford sites. The stock RX7 wiring does have the starter cut relay, but to me it looks like that is used more for the factory alarm than taking a load off the ignition switch.
    fox and older styles are a remote mounted solenoid (fender mount)
    Sn95 and newer like explorer are a starter mounted solenoid. Most if not all aftermarket is too.

I just finished converting my buddy's Fox to the later style starter and I just ran if direct off the ignition to the starter solenoid. My car has a relay for the starter for added uhmm overbuiltness? lol I didn't want to have high currents running through the switch panel.
    Since you're keeping your ignition switch, and I believe Mazda ran it straight to the starter (minus alarm, minus clutch pedal switch) so I see no problem.
    Larger gauge wire is strongly recommend though, like at least 14 awg.

I have an update brewing, been waiting on one more part to get here before I post

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• love this build!
      sigpic

Comment

• Thank you very much for the info, I hope were both right cause I don't want to burn up the ignition switch lol. And I'm excited to see the update!

Comment

• Im getting close to wiring so I guess ill chime in. My starter is the smaller starter with the solenoid on the side of it. The solenoid had two threaded studs that I would assume are for power to the battery and ground to the frame. Then there is a small tab comector like the ones on speakers and I thought that the small tab comector would conect to the cars ignition (the wite that has 12v when you to the key to the start position) I haven't gotten to the point of witing it but thats just what I was thinking. Seems like the most straight forward way of doing it.
          Instagram @Petrol360

88 RX7 FC 5.0
          77 Yamaha XS400

Comment

• Originally posted by EasySpeed*Inc View Post
            love this build!
            thanks man! you're 300 is insane

Originally posted by Zach Thomas View Post
            Thank you very much for the info, I hope were both right cause I don't want to burn up the ignition switch lol. And I'm excited to see the update!
            havent burnt anything yet lol

Originally posted by Skervey View Post
            Im getting close to wiring so I guess ill chime in. My starter is the smaller starter with the solenoid on the side of it. The solenoid had two threaded studs that I would assume are for power to the battery and ground to the frame. Then there is a small tab comector like the ones on speakers and I thought that the small tab comector would conect to the cars ignition (the wite that has 12v when you to the key to the start position) I haven't gotten to the point of witing it but thats just what I was thinking. Seems like the most straight forward way of doing it.
            yes, he was wondering what to do before the starter tho.
            the other stud btw goes to the starter motor. One side is constant power, the other is output to the starter motor. Its a large relay really.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Yep went and checked it last night and you are right it does have a cable that goes into the starter. I though mine was missing it but I just over looked it.

Im so ready to see your car rip!
              Instagram @Petrol360

88 RX7 FC 5.0
              77 Yamaha XS400

Comment

• Originally posted by Skervey View Post
                Im so ready to see your car rip!
                oh me too!

been listening to this guy lately

While George Ezra's single "Budapest" is good, (and low so I can keep up) the rest of the album is good too. I'm on the fence if I like Cassy O' or not...

had my birthday a while back. Got these two little guys

IMG_6877

Grip Royal King (suede!)

IMG_6940

and a NRG gen 2.0

I was waiting for the QR to come, it was on back order. They apparently discontinued the red with titanium ring ones (which is what we were hoping to get) but the all red is cool. Has the NRG ten year anniversary logo on in which is cool. Seems that they upped their level of quality as this is the nicest NRG product I've ever laid hands on. They made the button removable too which I immediately did. and the horn leads.

money shot

IMG_6955

Found a guy parting out an RX7 and nabbed some headlight rods with bushings that aren't broken like one of mine was (one on my daily was broken too) and a passenger mirror. I went to rob the glass off of it and promptly broke it

IMG_6934

also got a set of S5s taillights for fairly cheap. Well not that cheap but cheaper than normal cuz one of the corners is chipped but driftcar

IMG_6935

So I fit them on

IMG_6936

IMG_6937

and them took then right off so I can 'modernize' them.

just FYI, I had to cut the top off the S4 license plate plastic frame, and bend (one could cut, but I didn't want to ruin my paint) the area near the reverse light to get them to fit

Got some aluminum and cut out a foot plate, as I was sick of my clutch foot catching the floor every time I released the clutch

IMG_6880

IMG_6933

those sunk allen head bolts were hard to find and expensive for some reason....
                sorry for the crap picture too

Got a new lid for the battery box from the guys, also cut me some battery holders that don't look crap

IMG_6879

IMG_6885

So this sunday I'm hoping to drive my first drift event. Have a bunch of prep to do on my car and my buddies s13 before we head down.
                Stoked I got the NRG in time, keeping the S5 tails off till after, and got the battery box ready to pass inspection.
                Hoping all goes well and I don't hit a wall after the first corner. Plan is to take it slow and not do that lol. Get comfortable and build up speed as I progress. Never been on a track drifting, and never been out of 2nd gear, I try and avoid pushing it

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Evergreen I assume? If I'm not too busy I gotta try to get out there and check out your car!! Help keep me motivated lol. I saw the grip royal on IG, looks awesome! Also, just as an FYI those bushings *should* be easily replaceable by going to your local auto parts store and going to the "HELP" section and buying windshield wiper linkage bushings. They'll come with a couple different style of bushings, and I'm about 80% sure there's the right size in there for the headlight motor linkage.

Comment

• Yup evergreen. Would be awesome to see you there.

And really? Lol good to know, I swear I looked through the HELP section...

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Yeah one of these times I'll make it work lol. Forgot it was mother's day, chances of me making it are slim to none :/ ah well, next time I'll prepare better! And yeah I'm pretty positive it's the help section, we had to replace the bushings in my buddies wrx wiper linkage and I have some of the ones we didn't use lying around and realized they're the same style as the headlight linkage ones

Comment

• You're making me want to rush my swap. lol Just picked up my motor a week ago out of a 94. Got my transmission. Getting the small things figured out now.

Comment

• Originally posted by 805vert View Post
                          You're making me want to rush my swap. lol Just picked up my motor a week ago out of a 94. Got my transmission. Getting the small things figured out now.
                          lil dont rush! but ya the small things are like most of the swap.

well my weekend didn't exactly go as planned. Saturday prep went well for me, buddy's 240 was not as co-operative.

IMG_6959

got every loaded up and headed down there. had a hiccup at the border (lol we lost each other after crossing) so we got there a little late

IMG_6963

got to Evergreen at around 1:00 (full how later than we wanted to...) and set up and started waiting for the open drift part of the day...

IMG_6964

which didn't really happen. The comp started late, took too long, and they ran a top 32 which with like 80 cars in attendance (and a lot of us waiting for the open drift) wasn't the best call imo. Should have done top 16.

So the open drift was for an hour, they didn't let us Tech until the comp was over and then they split into 2 groups that got 1/2 each. Then they offered refunds if we wanted it, so very reluctantly we took it. Sucks to have driven all the way down there, but we had a good time and got awesome milk shakes.

but I finished the 'modernizing' of the tail lights, with minor collateral damage. they werent in good shape to begin with (but they were cheap!) so I'm not very broken up about the small chip or two. Feel better prepared for doing it again on mint ones

IMG_6968
                          IMG_6966

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Is that Evergreen Speedway in Monroe WA?

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Comment

• Originally posted by SnazzyQ View Post
                              Is that Evergreen Speedway in Monroe WA?

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
                              Yessir

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Originally posted by Teeson1111 View Post
                                Yessir
                                Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat how often do you come down there?
                                Last edited by SnazzyQ; 05-13-2015, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X