No announcement yet.

FC RX7 5.0 race car thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The exhaust looks good! I wouldn't want to tackle one myself, so good on you for going for it and making it happen!

Originally posted by LaMaR- View Post
    hey man I'm finally back state side trying to figure out how to make this motor fit under my hood, quick questions though, does the SN95 motor sit lower then the fox body?? Or is the difference the SN95 upper and lower intake manifold??
    Its just the intake manifolds

Comment

• Thanks Zach, time to start the search, ill start updating my thread again this week hopefully lol. I have some huge changes that are about to happen

Comment

• Lamar, the alternator bracket can make a difference as well. Either a low mount style or an sn95 will just clear.
        Intake manifold is as stated above, sn95 upper and lower. If you still can't get it to clear (mine makes it by millimetres) then you can mill the intake a bit or make spacers to space the subframe down.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Thanx Zach!

Something pretty awesome happened this week, I'll try and update tomorrow

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Thanks again, I'm currently searching for a upper and lower intake manifold, I'll have to search around today for the alternator bracket you speak of👍

Comment

• This is sooooo neat!! Really clean cage install and just awesome! DIY at its best!!
              -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
              '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
              '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

• Sub'd.

Currenlty in the process of ripping my wife's widebody FB apart to do an LS1/t56 swap this winter. I wanted to do 5.0 but happy wife=happy life so way more $$$ was spent.
                78 GMC Sierra Grande AKA "Black Betty"-Bagged, chopped, stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by DonkeyPunch View Post
                  Sub'd.

Currenlty in the process of ripping my wife's widebody FB apart to do an LS1/t56 swap this winter. I wanted to do 5.0 but happy wife=happy life so way more $$$ was spent.
                  Installing LS1 because wife said so. Sounds like winning!!! Sounds like an awesome wife!
                  -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
                  '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
                  '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

• Ordered the bracket to lower the alternator this morning, thanks for the info. Ive been searching around a bit and havnt had any luck finding some info, but would you happen to know if there is a way to add a check engine light into the foxbody wiring? I would like to know something is wrong before i push the car too hard, i just have no idea how possible it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by LaMaR- View Post
                      Ordered the bracket to lower the alternator this morning, thanks for the info. Ive been searching around a bit and havnt had any luck finding some info, but would you happen to know if there is a way to add a check engine light into the foxbody wiring? I would like to know something is wrong before i push the car too hard, i just have no idea how possible it is.
                      there is a way yes, just quickly looking Veryuseful this diagram tells me its pin 17 which is tan.

give a fuse'd 12V on ignition to that guy and put a light on one end

like so

Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 6.57.49 PM

then I'm sure you know you can pull codes to find out whats "wrong" with it (lol EGR and other emissions crap)

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• So I apologize for the delay, gotta build up suspense or something

no I didn't buy wheels, thats just inevitably never going to happen soon. Like that couple in that show that just never gets together even though you think they will, I'll inevitably keep buying other things first haha

So I bought this:

IMG_6672
                        IMG_6673
                        IMG_6674
                        IMG_6675IMG_6676

The mintiest 1987 RX7 GX I've ever laid eyes on. Its rotary, automatic, slow, rust free, and unmolested in every way. The exhaust is leaking like the titanic but it still passed a smog check (). Literally nothings been modified since it rolled off the assembly line. That however is time to change.

Bought it off a friend who went back to an s13, he had collected a bunch of parts to do a 5 lug hub/ brake swap and he had a t2 diff we think is from an S4 anniversary.
                        So that diff is probably going to go into the V8 car (love saying that) and the diff in the v8 car is gonna go in the daily. As well as the steering wheel and the coil overs and the camber bar. Then i can buy better coil overs for the V8 car, and once again put off buying wheels.

I also kinda want to go to a black interior, fit some dished wheels I can afford in there and put a decent stereo in there. Oh and most importantly, a 5 speed swap.

It'll probably stay powered by triangles for the foreseeable future. gotta balance my zen with the rotary gods (or something) (more like angry rx7 purists aha)

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Hahaha nice buy! I know the internal struggle of how it all goes... "I'll buy this part next" and then all of a sudden you have another toy in the garage. Looks clean though! Should be cool to have the ability to drive the two cars back to back

Edit: forgot to ask, did your radiator cause you any grief as far as air pockets in the cooling system? Since the rad cap is not the highest point in the system. Just curious about that cause I'm about to order a radiator and clearly all the 5.0 swaps must make the cooling system work correctly lol. Just covering my bases
                          Last edited by Zach Thomas; 10-09-2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach Thomas View Post
                            Edit: forgot to ask, did your radiator cause you any grief as far as air pockets in the cooling system? Since the rad cap is not the highest point in the system. Just curious about that cause I'm about to order a radiator and clearly all the 5.0 swaps must make the cooling system work correctly lol. Just covering my bases
                            Oh yes i did. I found a way to bleed it (painfully slow) first with the top coolant hose off to fill and then a tall funnel off the rad cap.
                            I have pics some where of 2 other local 5.0 swap cars (miata, E30) that did something to fix that. I had envisioned something like a water outlet neck with a rad cap on it. Easy solution would be an inline rad cap like so:

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• found one!

[IMG]IMG_1415[/IMG]

this looks like a normal 90* ford water neck with a rad neck/cap welded on. thats more or less what id like to do. probably add it to the winter projects list

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                                This is sooooo neat!! Really clean cage install and just awesome! DIY at its best!!
                                thanks dude!

Originally posted by DonkeyPunch View Post
                                Sub'd.

your wife sounds like a keeper, possibly a slave driver too haha. I'll bet she really had to twist your arm though lol

that would be insane though... 400 hp in a 2000 lb car woo

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

Working...
                                X