No announcement yet.

FC RX7 5.0 race car thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally started working on my car again the other day and had a question about the engine harness. Did you go strictly off the diagram on veryuseful.com? Is there any other resources you found helpful? It looks like deleting the CCRM and running separate relays will be easier than dealing with the mess that the CCRM is, did you delete yours? And last, if you did delete the CCRM are you running an aftermarket fan controller or just a switch? Maybe I overlooked it in your posts but I didn't notice anything on these things specifically.

My chassis wiring is nearly done, but this 60 pin ECU connector is killing me so far
    Last edited by Zach Thomas; 07-11-2014, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• looks great keep up the solid work man!
      Mx73 Cressida Build check it out!
      http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59875

Ig: Japetto516

Comment

• Originally posted by Zach Thomas View Post
        I finally started working on my car again the other day and had a question about the engine harness. Did you go strictly off the diagram on veryuseful.com? Is there any other resources you found helpful? It looks like deleting the CCRM and running separate relays will be easier than dealing with the mess that the CCRM is, did you delete yours? And last, if you did delete the CCRM are you running an aftermarket fan controller or just a switch? Maybe I overlooked it in your posts but I didn't notice anything on these things specifically.

My chassis wiring is nearly done, but this 60 pin ECU connector is killing me so far
        ya veryuseful.com was a fuzzy picture at best. Like squint at your engine harness, thats about how helpful it was. If you have access to Mitchell on demand or similar, use that. But I honestly just stripped the loom and tape off, laid it on the floor and figured it out, its fairly simple as far as EFI goes.
        I ran 2 high amp Cole Hersey relays for low and high. The ECU controls both speeds, and I have a switch for low speed as well. The ECU hasn't seemed to notice that theres no CCRM (I pulled codes tonight), though low speed seems to be always running, not sure if thats normal.
        theres an ECU pinout on veryuseful, that was a huge time saver. Allowed me to remove all the useless wiring that was for auto trans, evap, EGR, etc.

Originally posted by Tarmac180sx View Post
        looks great keep up the solid work man!
        thnx man!

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• I do need to update this, just been busy working on it instead of posting about it. Its so close, but seattle is even closer. At this point I'm just not sure it will be ready as it won't rev past 3k, brakes still need fiddling as does the clutch.

If you have any wiring questions I can do my best to help, I'll whip out some awesome MS paint skillllllzzz

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Once I have some more specific questions I might have to hit you up. I have the pinout saved to my computer and I don't mind figuring it out but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that there isn't a solid diagram out there ready to go with no second guessing. You'll be hearing from me soon I hope, work hasn't slowed for me either and it's getting a little old

Comment

• quick update!

been rocking out lately to Wolfmother. I like most of their self titled album, almost all of Cosmic Egg and i just found out about New Dimension, so i'll withhold judgement for a bit.

IMG_6346

got this all sorted out. pretty happy with how it looks. I may later get a new glove box surround and trim it a little more conservatively but it can wait.

IMG_6347

fitted that volvo lip properly. nails the look i was shooting for

IMG_6344

got a NRG quick release of my local CL. not super stoked on the "carbon fibre" but i'll live with it.

IMG_6348

after like 4 versions I finally have this bulkhead plate working. not 100% on the results yet, but its fine for now.

So after messing with the brakes some, I swapped my 7/8ths master from my clutch pedal and put it on the front brakes. once I get the air out of the fronts again (need to bleed after swapping them)(i've figured out how to get them to bleed now) I have adequate brake pressure. the 5/8ths seems to be ideal for the rear brakes so it stayed. The 3/4 is just enough for the clutch. Still a heavy pedal but much more bearable. engages really close to the floor right now so i'll be playing with all the adjusters on it.

and the windshield got done today! so excited.

however when I was playing with it sunday afternoon it started to overheat. I grabbed a new rad cap and thermostat that I have yet to put in. I'm hoping thats all it is.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Cars looking good! Did you ever figure out why it wouldn't rev past 3k? I hope you ended up making it to Formula D, I had to work I'm also curious to see what you end up with for your clutch setup after you finish tweaking it!

Comment

didn't take the car to FD.

I couldn't get the caliper with the broken bleeder to bleed properly. I also didn't have an exhaust built, but after hearing the cars I rolled down with lol that may have been ok. They were loud.

Clutch works, pedal is right at the floor, but I have adjustment to play with still.

And it wouldn't rev past 3k cuz low fuel pressure. Because the fuel tank was empty. Haha facepalm

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Originally posted by Teeson1111 View Post
                    didn't take the car to FD.

I couldn't get the caliper with the broken bleeder to bleed properly. I also didn't have an exhaust built, but after hearing the cars I rolled down with lol that may have been ok. They were loud.

Clutch works, pedal is right at the floor, but I have adjustment to play with still.

And it wouldn't rev past 3k cuz low fuel pressure. Because the fuel tank was empty. Haha facepalm
                    First of all on the low fuel pressure....LOL. Reminds me of my last trip down to the dunes, one of the guys I go with stashes all his stuff in his airbox while he rides. He put his wallet, keys and cell phone in a grocery bag this time instead of his normal ziploc. So the his bike starts running horribly and he starts adjusting the carbs in the middle of the dunes when the lightbulb went off in all of our heads...the grocery bag had gotten sucked over the air filters and killed all the airflow

And that sucks about the broken bleeder! But no exhaust would've probably been fine haha. Washington police are pretty lax in my experience on exhaust noise. My daily 04 WRX has a catless Blitz Nur spec on it (very loud exhaust on a subie) and I've never been hassled.

Also, quick question for you on your intake setup. I also picked up an SN95 BBK CAI (which I believe is the same as yours...), how did you get it to fit? I am considering cutting a hole in the forward most section of the engine bay to fit the filter in there. Plus I would then have an actual "cold" air intake haha.
                    Last edited by Zach Thomas; 07-25-2014, 02:28 AM.

Comment

• to get the BBK to fit I just trimmed the pipes, I think on all 3 ends actually. Little trial and error but it fits good and says BBK on it haha

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• This week i've been rocking out with Rival Sons, mostly their EP but basically everything i've heard so far I like. Really old school rock, lead singer has a killer voice too

So long overdue but here's a pic of the fuse panel behind the dash. I had to take it with a potato (iPhone) because my camera's lens doesn't go that wide.

buddy got my some grip tape for long boards, my brake pedal had brake fluid spilled on it and the grip tape fell off

IMG_6489

IMG_6507

thinking of making a aluminum sheet for below my feet, my shoes keep catching on the bumps in the floor when using the clutch.

IMG_6501

finally put the rear view mirror in

and

I got the ashtray to fit!

IMG_6502

requires some grinding of the bottom of it, but I kinda over did it. Theres a hole on the bottom now haha, but it can be done.

IMG_6494

also got around to painting my head light assemblies. I know no one will ever see it but OCD won that battle.
                        so stripped them done, washed and painted

IMG_6503

did the covers too

IMG_6504

and the headlight motor brackets

IMG_6498

IMG_6499

and assembled and put them back on

IMG_6505

also put in some decent lamps, I've used these in my probe gt daily and been quite happy with the output and the pattern

IMG_6490

now quite exciting, my buddy with the mustang bought a Moates Quarterhorse tuner to use with his A9P. For what ever reason it won't work with the chip in. So we popped my ECU open and put it in. Then loaded the T4M0's strategy and calibration and what do you know it worked! He's going to sell it to me and buy a Bama chip instead, which works for me.

IMG_6495

installed the usb cable

and boom

IMG_6496

we have tune.

But its disabled until I get a wideband, for the safetys.

even more exciting than that though, I've fixed the broken bleeder!

IMG_6493

had to drill out the old one carefully, removing the broken EZ out then drill and tap a bigger bleeder in place. I wasn't positive it was going to work, buuuuutt it did!
                        and you know what that means can happen?!

ya I drove it.

and yes there was a burnout and a skid.

however,

IMG_6506

I had blocked off all the ports, turns out the PCV needs to vent somehow and somewhere, it chose the dipstick. Which blew oil all over the headers, smoking like crazy. Then it began to overheat, so I coasted back into my driveway.
                        Side note, the 7/8ths brake master on the front is really stiff. Brakes great but I think I'll try the 3/4 again and if thats too light then order a 13/16ths

IMG_6497

and that marked a great weekend. Glass bottled coke (kinda rare in Canada) marked a great weekend

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• Slowly getting to that fully completed point! Looking good, your relay board scares me haha. I'm glad I took the easy way out and deleted the headlight motors and kept the factory wiper harness How's your sunroof holding up as far as wind and water go? Or tell me you've been enjoying the car without it?

Comment

Slowly getting to that fully completed point! Looking good, your relay board scares me haha. I'm glad I took the easy way out and deleted the headlight motors and kept the factory wiper harness How's your sunroof holding up as far as wind and water go? Or tell me you've been enjoying the car without it?
                            haha the sunroof open is a requirement, especially in the heat!

how to make anything more epic, add M83

So last monday I put day permits on it and took it down to a local mustang show. Its funny I was less hesitant taking it there than to a Rx7 meet.

put some good ole premium in, and proceeded to shred tire for an extremely hot afternoon.

Car has no exhaust and next to 0 heat protection, and on a 30* day it was gross inside the cabin. The tunnel/floor must been 60*

but the car handled it well, I haven't broken the diff. Didn't overheat or leak. Needs an alignment and I want to play around with the brakes a little more, pedal effort is super high.

rolled down with a few buddies and a turbo fox, I was hoping moving in a group would hide how loud my exhaust was. but didn't get caught!

I also need a new passenger mirror

it kinda fell off when I shifted into 2nd. right after this some mustang tried to race me, but he had like 4 ppl in the car so he didn't stand a chance really.

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

• So. Jealous. Lol cool to see it on the road though!

Had another question for you about EEC wiring. For any of the A/C wiring or wiring for automatic cars did you just leave the wires unconnected completely? None of them needed to be grounded or anything weird? As far as I can tell they don't need to be but wanted to be sure. The EEC wiring, as basic as it is, manages to make my head spin. I also need to go in and delete the emissions stuff, fun times!

Comment

So. Jealous. Lol cool to see it on the road though!

Had another question for you about EEC wiring. For any of the A/C wiring or wiring for automatic cars did you just leave the wires unconnected completely? None of them needed to be grounded or anything weird? As far as I can tell they don't need to be but wanted to be sure. The EEC wiring, as basic as it is, manages to make my head spin. I also need to go in and delete the emissions stuff, fun times!
                                I completely removed the wires for anything EGR, Evap, a/c or auto trans related. I de pinned the harnesses (really easy) and I do have codes for them, but they don't affect anything I can notice.
                                If your are using a fox ecu (a9p, or a9l or other) make sure to keep the altitude sensor.

I even left the fuel pump signal wire loose and ungrounded just to see if it needed to think it was controlling a relay, nope. My last mazda KL engine needed to see ground on the wire if it were to start, not the case here.

Any more questions, fire away haha

87 RX7 5.0 (driftcar)

Comment

Working...
                                X