'82 Volvo: An Exercise in Stance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love this! Those wheels will be insane.

And don't get your hopes down... 350's don't start at 300. Not to the wheels anyways. I don't know the rules of California but I am partial to the suggestion made above me. ...except that I think he posted a picture of a 302 so idk

And I would also say to maybe think about adapters for the wheels. You have said that 5x108 is an oddball pattern and if you redrilled them your resale market would be very thin.

Keep up the good work, man!

Instagram: surpriseitsmicah

Builds:

Comment

350 would just be waste of money. Really not much better than the 2.1 imo. If anything id just build a 2.3 a drop it in there. Not to expensive and easy to swap in

Comment

Yeah mines just a 302 but still fun. And as for wheels you either run adapters or get some steelies made.

Comment

Originally posted by Switch3d' View Post
          If you have the money I would go with a 2.3 or even a whiteblock but v8's are fun.
          Originally posted by M.Doban View Post
          Love this! Those wheels will be insane.

And don't get your hopes down... 350's don't start at 300. Not to the wheels anyways. I don't know the rules of California but I am partial to the suggestion made above me. ...except that I think he posted a picture of a 302 so idk

And I would also say to maybe think about adapters for the wheels. You have said that 5x108 is an oddball pattern and if you redrilled them your resale market would be very thin.

Keep up the good work, man!
          Originally posted by corey View Post
          350 would just be waste of money. Really not much better than the 2.1 imo. If anything id just build a 2.3 a drop it in there. Not to expensive and easy to swap in
          Thanks for the kind words guys!

I looked pretty extensively at upgrades for the B21ft and a lot of people on turbobricks say they see a cap around 300hp. Right now thatd be so nice to have but I feel in the future I would want more.

Even a 302 with the explorer intake makes 225.. which is almost double my stock 130. And that is just the base, headers, exhaust, tb, intake, and people easily see 400hp.

Its also very tempting because the cost of a v8 swap vs B21ft build would be within 2-300 dollars of each other..

Originally posted by Switch3d' View Post
          Yeah mines just a 302 but still fun. And as for wheels you either run adapters or get some steelies made.
          Can you say more about your setup? did you use a kit or parts from volvos that run? hows it feel compared to a stock 240?

I think I will be getting them redrilled just because adapters are a hassle, and they would subtract even more from the offset of the wheels I am not even sure will fit.

I don't plan selling them any time soon and I doubt there is a huge market for wheels with 7" lips anyway
          '82 Volvo 242 build
          '73 Datsun 240z build

Comment

Compared to my other 242 turbo its way faster with lots more torque. Stock welded rear. Cold air intake and I am pretty sure its cam'd. As for kits I could not tell you since I got it already installed. Here is the build thread from the guy I picked it up from.

Post your build threads here! Keep us updated on what you're doing in your garage.

Its a blast to drive even though its still need alot of work to be done to get it to go around a corner fast.

Comment

hahaha, just found your build thread on here.

saaweeeeeeeeeetttt
              my project at the moment:
              http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37175

Comment

sweet.baby.jesus

Comment

Do a GM 4.8 or 5.3. They are cheap and easy to swap in. On the plus side, in stock form you can boost the crap out of them.

Comment

Put whatever motor you like in it man! It'll still be epic. I was going to drop in a Pontiac (not GM) 400ci to my 744 before I tore the front clip off in an accident

Last edited by Shane; 09-25-2013, 06:31 PM.

Comment

You can smog a V8 swap in cali if you do it correctly

Comment

Suspicious Package..

Progress has been slow, well actually zero since I haven't been home in 3 months.

The average reader might wonder, What's so special about some boxes in your garage?

To the untrained eye they may SEEM like ordinary boxes, and thats because.. well, they are.

I just thought you guys might interested as to whats inside:

BAM!

(Thanks to mama prophet for taking these pictures for me)

Since the CCW's wont be ready for a while, I figured I needed some "beater" wheels for the mean time. Well, at least that's how I justified spending even more money on this POS car haha.

the specs:
                        BBS RS, 5x114.3 16x7/8 et+24
                        Running 30mm adapters will put them at 16x7/8 et-6 which is within millimeters of my current wheel sizes(16x7 et0/16X8 et-10). So, I can run these on adapters with no modification needed while I build up the CCW's.

Not much of an update, just thought I'd share..
                        As always, leave feedback, good, bad, doesn't matter
                        -Adrian
                        '82 Volvo 242 build
                        '73 Datsun 240z build

Comment

First and foremost, I LOVE your car. Your description of the 240 is perfect. This thing is just so many different levels of wicked. Sub'd and definitely looking forward to more progress!
                          Second, I have tried getting info on Turbobricks and the like but nobody seems to care there, sooo time to try SW. I have c4 vette sawblades (17x8.5/17x9.5 et 56), and am trying to figure out how big my spacers should be. I am going to be rolling/cutting the fenders (but hopefully not pulling) and want to get as close to flush as reasonably possible. Car isn't slammed yet (see sig) but hopefully will be soon. I know around 50mm rear and 40mm front will clear, but I don't know how much further I should go past that.
                          Thanks!
                          My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by philohlean View Post
                            First and foremost, I LOVE your car. Your description of the 240 is perfect. This thing is just so many different levels of wicked. Sub'd and definitely looking forward to more progress!
                            Second, I have tried getting info on Turbobricks and the like but nobody seems to care there, sooo time to try SW. I have c4 vette sawblades (17x8.5/17x9.5 et 56), and am trying to figure out how big my spacers should be. I am going to be rolling/cutting the fenders (but hopefully not pulling) and want to get as close to flush as reasonably possible. Car isn't slammed yet (see sig) but hopefully will be soon. I know around 50mm rear and 40mm front will clear, but I don't know how much further I should go past that.
                            Thanks!
                            If you know your current offset and width just go outside a measure, its not hard. This has been discussed hundreds of time on tb. Also try checking out the thread "building a drift 245" on tb, he is running a pretty flush setup and has all the info on his offset/width/tire size etc. Just remember, for every inch wider the wheels are, they will poke 1/2" more... ie 16x8et 0 will poke 1" less then 16x10et0

IMO 240s need about the equivalent of 8" wide et -40ish in the rear to be flush and about 8" wide et -15ish in the front

Comment

Originally posted by philohlean View Post
                              Thanks!
                              You'll need to consider 2 things when trying to fit wheels:
                              1) inner clearance(shocks,spring,struts,brake calipers, etc)
                              2) fender clearance

1- I had some FWD offset volvo wheels that are only 6.5J but would not fit.. this is because they rubbed the strut on the front, and the inner fender well in the rear. I think anything more than 4.5-5" Backspacing (how far the hub sits from the back lip of the wheel) is pushing inner clearance.

2- My current steelies are 16x7 ~et0 in front and they are pretty much flush. The PO also put spacers on so idk the exact offset but something around 3.5" Front spacing (take your wheel width and subtract back spacing)

For the rear, my wheels are 16x8 ~et-10. These poke just slightly with rolled and pulled fenders. This is around a 4.5" Front spacing. I cant say for stock fenders, but pulling them isn't that hard and lower offset wheels get all the honeys.

For your front 8.5s I would say 50mm spacers should do it. That would put you at ~3.75" front and back spacing. It will easily clear the suspension and will poke ~.25" more than my front wheels. Look at my pics for reference.

For your rear 9.5s I also think a 50mm spacer would clear. Your backspacing would be 4.75" which will also clear, and it will poke .25" more than my rear wheels. Look at pics for reference. In the rear that will be a decent amount of poke. You could even drop it down to 35-40mm spacers I would only be worried about the inner clearance. You'll really have just to get them on the car and see what clears, and if they are flush to your liking.

Hope that helps.. Your car looks good btw!
                              '82 Volvo 242 build
                              '73 Datsun 240z build

Comment

i gave the previous owner of your car so much shit on turbobricks for his fake double lip low.

good thing you dumped it.

"Everything has potential."

Comment

Working...
                                X