No announcement yet.

Another BMW E28 - This Time From Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When are some tyres going on those wheels....I want to see them fitted!

Comment

I can't wait to see those wheels mounted !

Comment

Originally posted by Beware View Post
        When are some tyres going on those wheels....I want to see them fitted!
        Once the engine is in and running guys

Comment

Makes sense....but I'd be needing to see it on the ground ASAP if it were mine! All in good time though.

Comment

Been a good long weekend so far.

Pulled the engine and gearbox out as one. All went fairly smoothly and the car went from driving to have no engine, gearbox, tailshaft and exhaust system in less than 4 hours.

Then removed gearbox, clutch, flywheel and any other pieces I needed.

Also needed the sump, so i checked a main and big end bearing whilst I was there:

Great condition from what looks to be standard bearings - 360,000kms old, motor also had between 150-170psi compression on all cylinders before removal.

Next on the list is to get the flywheel machined and decide what clutch to go with. Clean up sump and fit that to new engine. The gear shifter also felt like a box of neutrals when driving, so it would be stupid not to fix that before going back together. Gearbox is also leaking oil, so might as well replace that seal. Plenty to keep me busy for a few weeks.

Comment

this is turning out to be really cool resto/build, can't wait to see further progress
              sigpic

Current Collection
              e46 3 series
              85 Chevrolet Caprice classic

Comment

Every night after work spent swinging spanners will hopefully pay off soon.

Comment

Originally posted by epearce View Post
                  What sort of specs? It's home made.
                  Yeeah i know its home made, it looked rly good, i just thought you maybe had a tamplet or something when u did the plate. What i meant with spec was length, width and hight and so on..

Cheers m8 !
                  ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
                  Trolling isn't a hobby, it's a way of Life.
                  "Project Bmw E28"

Comment

Originally posted by Asee View Post
                    Yeeah i know its home made, it looked rly good, i just thought you maybe had a tamplet or something when u did the plate. What i meant with spec was length, width and hight and so on..

Cheers m8 !
                    Sorry mate, i have it removed currently. So when i get a chance I will take some pics and measurements.

Comment

Originally posted by epearce View Post
                      Sorry mate, i have it removed currently. So when i get a chance I will take some pics and measurements.
                      Sweet, cheers
                      ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
                      Trolling isn't a hobby, it's a way of Life.
                      "Project Bmw E28"

Comment

So update time...

Got the old 2.8 flywheel machined as it was in horrible condition, turns out it is also the lightest OEM flywheel which is good. Also bought a 3.5L Extreme standard duty clutch as the other one wasn't far off warn out.

Had the sump acid bathed to make sure it was spotlessly clean and fitted that along with the oil level sensor.

Adjusted valve clearances, torqued crankpully nut to 410nm - sooo tight and fitted new waterpump,:

Painted the valve cover the classic BMW colours. Ported the intake manifold to the exact size of each individual intake port and then painted it.

Decided to fit a Wideband gauge so I bought a Innovate MXT-L. The reason being i'm staying with the 2.8 ecu as to run a 3.5 litre ecu it requires a full loom swap (sorta like fitting a 01 gt forester ecu to a 99 forester). So I have no idea if the ecu will cope with the increased capacity. Figured a wideband was cheap insurance and also aloq me to change things like fuel pressure and coolant temperature resistance if more fuel is required. Fitted the gauge to a non obvious spot, yet still in the field of view.

Wiring was a mess under the bonnet, so that was fixed. Also cut out a heaps of wires that are not needed anymore, mainly AC and emissions related. Cleaned off 30 years of oil/grime whilst I was there.

More updates to come tomorrow night

Comment

Originally posted by russgt
                          Wow that engine looks so nice!

Been a great thread. One of my favs on ozfoz!
                          It turned out well, I'm stoked with it!

Cheers mate, very much appreciated :drinks:

Originally posted by be_oh_be
                          great stuff.

any chance of a better look at those headers?
                          Thanks

See below

I had a small dilemma with the exhaust manifold/headers. The standard 2.8 headers that will bolt up to the rest of the system will be a restriction to the new motor. I have standard 3.5 litre headers that will flow better but don't bolt up to the remaining 2.8 system. The other option was to find aftermarket headers that would flow even better, produce a better sound but still require an exhaust shop to join them to the old system. The most annoying thing is an exhaust place won't be able to join them up until the engine is in with the headers bolted up. And I don't want to tow it in or have it started for the first time by them.

2.8 headers:

The best option IMO was aftermarket headers. Found a place in NSW that make replica headers of a popular German system at a fraction of the price. Unfortunately for right hand drive cars the cylinder 1 runner has to be quite a bit longer as space is so tight between the steering box and to also clear the engine mount bracket. It's certainly not ideal but from what i've read on a low powered naturally aspirated car it should make SFA difference?

The other annoying thing is the engine mount bracket has to be removed to install/remove them, which means supporting the engine... So the plan is to drop the engine in with them on, figure out how the exhaust shop will join them onto the rest of the system and check clearances. Then remove them and have a flange or extra length added to them to make it easier for them to join.

Distributor and fan test fitted for some whole engine pics..

With the gearbox out it was a good chance to clean that up and replace the leaking selector shaft seal. The gear shifter also had enough play that it felt like it was in neutral in every gear. So I ordered replacements of the all the wearing parts, as well as a E36 short shifter to remove the massive throw between gears. Fitted all the pieces up tonight and it feels mint!

Plan is to drop the motor and gearbox in on Saturday and hopefully turn the motor over and get oil pressure before the days over.

Comment

Great work on the engine, 410Nm is tight!
                            My '88 Golf GTI - http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59460

lowered, because it makes the boobies bounce

Comment

so i'm somewhat confused. you keep saying "green" car, is that the main car? because if it is, it appears to be Bronzit Beige. great buld overall but the color thing is just confusing me.

Comment

Originally posted by Good Ol Kid View Post
                                so i'm somewhat confused. you keep saying "green" car, is that the main car? because if it is, it appears to be Bronzit Beige. great buld overall but the color thing is just confusing me.
                                Farily sure it isn't Bronzit Beige. Definitely looks more green than gold.

Comment

Working...
                                X