Another BMW E28 - This Time From Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Press22 View Post
    Lovely build and I dig the new wheelsz! You guys should really ship some euro bumpers over to the US for us poor stanceworks guys :p
    Haha, postage would be a fortune.

Comment

Got around to test fitting the front lip, and drilling holes. Lots of work needs to be done before it can be painted, but it's a start.

Random front tyre clearance photo on full lock. Approx 2mm between tyre and the bottom of the guard. Thanks to coilovers there is no scrubbing.

Finally sourced the cylinder head I was after. Its off a later model m30 motor, fitted to e32's and e34s. I chose it as it has dual valve springs, 1mm larger intake valves, larger intake passages and also larger combustion area. The only negative is the compression ratio will decrease to roughly 9.5:1 from 10:1. But from what i have read the improvement of intake airflow should outweigh this. This head was never fitted to a high compression block like i'm using from factory, so there is few things i'll have to fiddle out along the way.

Began stripping the head straight away.

Quick degrease and pressure clean and compared it to the standard cylinder head.

Then made a template so i can port match the intake manifold. This shows the size diffence in intake ports between heads.

Tomorrows job is find out prices to have the head pressure tested, machined and hot tanked.

Comment

Ventured offroad a little the other weekend, it was a challenge.

Comment

This thread is the shit, I love how the thread went from dirt/paddock bomb to engine swapped stanced ride, a+

Comment

Originally posted by matslunk View Post
            This thread is the shit, I love how the thread went from dirt/paddock bomb to engine swapped stanced ride, a+
            Cheers mate

Comment

Great work man your car is amazing!

Comment

Ya you can't go wrong with the RS's, nice work !

Comment

Got the head back from the machine shop. Luckily it got the all clear, and came out nice with a skim.

Now to decide if i bother polishing the ports or not.. Then put it all back together.

Comment

This is going to be FFFFing awesome !
                    Put thos wheels on NAOW!

Comment

Finally received most of the parts I need to get the cylinder head back together and bolted up.

Lapped the valves to ensure perfect sealing between valve face and valve seat. Not something i've done before, but it worked perfectly. Leak tested each valve afterwards and they all seal perfectly.

Decided against porting or polishing the cylinder head. Spent a few hours researching it and decided it wasn't worth it. As to properly port you need a flow bench otherwise you'll probably make it worse. And slightly rough intake chambers are meant to aid fuel atomisation. Plus both of these will make an minimal increase in power on a standard engine.

The intakes are pretty good from factory anyway.

Heads all cleaned up, with no trace of dirt etc, ready for assembly this weekend.

Comment

I like where this is going, but please clean up that exhaust weld.. That shit looks like cauliflower and has potential to leak! Practice and clean that up!

Otherwise I definitely like where this is going

Comment

It has been a good couple of weeks.

Installed valves and new valve stem seals.

Fitted an adapter nut to the end of the cam, due to using a later model cam that has a different distributor set up. As I plan on staying ljet tronic for now.

Fitted cam, followed by valve springs.

Then assembled the head back together. Bit of a complex job sliding each rocker shaft in with all the rockers, springs, washers, collars etc in the correct spot.

After getting the head back together I tried turning it over only to realize it wouldn't turn over properly. After stressing for a bit I figured out with the help of a friend I put the valve collets upside down, putting extra compression on the valve springs. So i had to pull it back down and fix my amateur mistake. Least I was quicker the second time around.

Bought a standard genuine headgasket and checked true top dead centre before fitting the head.

Fitted and torqued the head with new headbolts:

Timed the block to the head, fitted cam sprocket, new genuine timing chain, guides, tensioner etc. Fitted oil pump with new chain and sprocket. It was a big relief to turn it over for the first time.

Fitted distributor drive followed by the timing case covers, thermostat housing and new thermostat etc. Finally looks like a engine!

Have also sourced a factory oil filter housing with built in oil cooler ports and thermostat. Probably pointless on a standard engine. But it is extra insurance and for $100 including cooler and lines I thought it was worth it.

That's about it for now Very happy with how it is progressing and looking so far. First time putting a engine back together that has to run again, so hopefully I haven't made any detrimental mistakes.

Old engine will be getting pulled out friday!

Comment

Originally posted by gakz View Post
                            I like where this is going, but please clean up that exhaust weld.. That shit looks like cauliflower and has potential to leak! Practice and clean that up!

Otherwise I definitely like where this is going
                            Apologies for the sh!t welds. Quality only comes with practice.

Thanks anyway!

Comment

I love your build man. I'm picking up an E28 project on Saturday I can't wait. Keep up the good work.
                              IG: jmessler91

Comment

looking great, i sure do love e28s!

Comment

Working...
                                X