• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by softg View Post
    subbed

it's real nice man
    Originally posted by mikey G View Post
    Lots of quality work goin' on here.
    Thanks guys!

This last weekend was Round 6 of Redline Time Attack. It was a scramble to get the car ready since the front aero and bumper was damaged at the last event. Additionally this front aero is just a temporary set up since the front end will be receiving a major overhaul over the next few months when we change classes, so I didn't want to invest a lot of time and money making a part to last one event. After getting the new less than optimal splitter on we had to align the car to make some changes to improve rear grip. We finished the alignment at 12:30 Friday night and then headed home. With only a couple hours of sleep we were on our way to Buttonwillow for Saturday's test and tune. The temps were hot and the tires were shot, but I wanted to try the new surface to see where there was and wasn't grip. Overall the track feels like it'll be a lot faster once it seasons in, but my times were a couple of seconds off of my personal best due to the tires. After a couple of short sessions we headed back to the hotel to get ready for Sunday.

Sunday morning we grabbed our coffee and left for the track. About a mile after getting on the highway I noticed the coolant temperature starting to spike. I immediately shut the car down and was lucky enough to have a rest stop only a few hundred feet away. I rolled the car into a parking spot and popped the hood. Only to find that the expansion tank had developed a major leak. We made a couple of calls and a friend from the track came to pick us up while we waited for the part. At the track a friend asked where my car was, and as I was explaining the situation he mentioned that he had a spare one. With 45 minutes until the Time Attack session we drove back to my car, swapped the tank, and drove back to the track. As we pulled up to the track I could see that they already had the first group of drivers on track meaning that we were just in time to get into the second group. I pulled straight to grid, put my helmet on and waited to be released. Our group went out a couple minutes later, and despite having no practice, the settings off, and tires with about 40 heat cycles I was able to go out and set a 2:00.1 lap on my first hot lap. This was good enough for me to take the victory by over 2 seconds. I was disappointed to have not beaten my PB, but was happy to have taken the victory and glad that I could drive home. That leaves the StanceWorks X Avus Autosport team undefeated this season and with the championship almost sealed.

Please ignore my mangled front end

Comment

• The engine build was put on hold for a few days while we prepared for Round 6. Now that we're done with that we're back to preparing the engine.

I finished disassembling the engine, and now we're prepping the cylinder head to be ported and then sent to the machine shop.

I also picked up my Vi-PEC/Link plug and play ecu from Jan at Revolution Mini Works. He is awesome to deal with and has a wealth of knowledge. I couldn't be happier with the ECU or him.

Comment

• Congrats on the success, car is definitely living the motorsport life with you behind the wheel.

Comment

• Damn, a daily driven race car. I never thought that combination could actually be competitive. What class are you moving to with the new engine?

I/G: DeltaAlpha9

Comment

• Originally posted by Miroteknik View Post
            Congrats on the success, car is definitely living the motorsport life with you behind the wheel.
            Originally posted by DeltaAlpha9 View Post
            Damn, a daily driven race car. I never thought that combination could actually be competitive. What class are you moving to with the new engine?
            Thanks guys.

It was a bit of an extreme daily, but I put all of the right parts in the right places. By adding a cage I would have been able to race it in BMW Club Racings IP class. On street tires with a full interior, a/c, and radio the car would have been a winning car. It was all in the set up to make it good on track and on the road. I'd still DD it, but I put on 22k miles last year and want to keep the miles off.

We're moving into Time Attack Street class.

Comment

• Much good! Very wow! Love x10!
              nice work dude, you have come a long way from the stock as a rock m3
              im still curious what motor your gunna drop into the 911
              keep up the good stuff

Comment

• So the car has been sitting for a while, however Round 1 of Redline Time Attack is at the end of the month and I've finally started preparing the car for Street class.

I was sad to see it go, but first up was the interior. My M3 was a bit of pig at 3150 with driver. Rules require stock glass and a full dash and center console, so those will be staying.

I've also started making splitters for e36's as well. This one is for someone competing in Redline Time Attack as well.

Originally posted by 1jze30 View Post
                Much good! Very wow! Love x10!
                nice work dude, you have come a long way from the stock as a rock m3
                im still curious what motor your gunna drop into the 911
                keep up the good stuff
                Thanks man! I'm still unsure about the 911. I'm torn between a reliable 3.6 swap, or going with big power. That's a few years away anyway.
                Last edited by that911; 02-09-2015, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• Looks like you're gearing up for a busy year.

Looking forward to your progress, and reading about your race season!
                  BB6 Prelude . . E36 ///M3 . . VA WRX Limited . . 1969 Nova
                  Originally posted by Ollie
                  We all love to turn heads. Sub-consciously we're all materialistic attention-craving dickheads.

Comment

• Another recent project was fitting the Fast Fab Racing strut tower brace. I've been asked often why I didn't run a strut tower brace before, and the answer was that I didn't like the flimsy design of what was on the market. Most strut braces do nothing, so I was excited when Fast Fab offered exactly what I was looking for. Install took about 5 minutes and the difference could be felt just leaving our steep driveway. I had a chance to test it out at Laguna Seca and loved how much the front end response improved. I also got their ultimate chassis brace and will be installing that in the next couple weeks.

Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster View Post
                    Looks like you're gearing up for a busy year.

Looking forward to your progress, and reading about your race season!
                    Thank you!

Comment

• Looks similar to the Mason Engineering Strutbars for e30's, loved mine.

Can't wait to see the new engine and all the upcoming changes.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

• Looks awesome!!!

How big of a difference is it switching between this and the 911??? I'd imagine they're pretty different beasts...
                        -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
                        '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
                        '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

• Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
                          Looks similar to the Mason Engineering Strutbars for e30's, loved mine.

Can't wait to see the new engine and all the upcoming changes.
                          Thanks man! The Mason e30 bar is great, I drove an e30 before and after, big difference!

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                          Looks awesome!!!

How big of a difference is it switching between this and the 911??? I'd imagine they're pretty different beasts...
                          Thank you, and up until a month ago is was a night and day difference. The M3 was comfortable, had a full interior, and was a breeze to drive while the 911 was gutted with no a/c or heater and manual everything yet an absolute joy to drive (for short distances haha). The M3 is still an incredible all around vehicle, while the 911 reminds me why I love cars.

Comment

• Thanks for the read. Keep it up and I love it!
                            slow build, fast cars

Comment

• Work has been progressing nicely on the M3 with quite a few changes being made to the aero and body. Here's a sneak peek of the rear with the Voltex Swan Neck Type 7.

I also mounted the drivers seat and now I'm figuring out what to do with the passengers seat

I've also been working on a couple of side projects including e36 aero. Here is a wing mounted on Geoff's e36 M3.
                              Last edited by that911; 05-18-2015, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• Love the choice of mods, gorgeous.

- Renato
                                TWMPerformance.com | TWMShiftKnobs.com | GodSaveTheManuals.com
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X