'67 Amazon Project : Sultan of Swede

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '67 Amazon Project : Sultan of Swede

I've been a long-time lurker. Never posted. Cross-posting this all from Turbobricks. It's nothing special but I've spent a lot of time with this car. Sooo let's catch up!

I never do this sort of thing. Mostly because I never take pictures of shit and I hardly work on anything. I'm completely ready to get this car done now that I don't have any other projects. I've had it for two years now, done quite a bit of work, and I still have a lot to do.

Current shot:

This is how I bought it. Pretty standard 122. Never really been messed with and only had around 100k miles on it. All original interior in really good shape.

Here's the work I've done so far:

- New ignition setup. No more armored coil. Electronic ignition.
    - Steering/suspension rebuilt with full poly bushings
    - Alternator upgrade
    - B18 head refreshed, got the motor up to spunk. Some new seals, water pump, refreshed dizzy,
    - SUs rebuilt completely
    - Probably more stuff I forgot about

Here's where I'm going with it:

- B20 -.015 over, ported F head shaved to 10.5:1 compression, Schneider 274 cam, 2.5" stainless mandrel-bent exhaust, Stahl header, SUs
    - M41 w/ short shifter
    - Brake system rebuild
    - FatMat
    - New carpet
    - Lower it (maybe bags in the future)
    - Wheels
    - Nice stereo

So basically I want it to be a killer car with a period-correct motor that still shitss and gets. After that, I just want to drive it. No turbo, no EFI, or any of that stuff. Just a nice car that I like. Hopefully some other people will too. You shouldn't expect this thread to move very fast but you should expect lots of low res cell phone pictures. And dissapointment. Expect some of that.

Feel free to ask questions or leave any constructive comments.

-Andrew
    '67 122
    '71 142
    '80 245 DL

Bought some TSW Valencias. Decent looking wheels that were available in the correct offset and the size I was looking for.

So while driving the car one day I had a wheel bearing completely split and weld itself to the spindle. I bought a used replacement that someone was "sure would fit". Well it didn't work out that well. This is a dual-wishbone suspension which is shimmed to adjust camber. This is with no shims:

Here you can see the obvious differences in the spindle assembly:

Anyway, I ordered another that was confirmed to be from a 122. Put it on and I was back in business.

Then I ordered some short springs:

The red/black ones are standard lowering/sport springs. The blue ones are what went on the car.

Got around to installing them. Rake much?

WHOMP.

Then we "rolled" some fenders so the new wheels would fit a little better.

Last edited by AndrewNance; 04-09-2013, 09:30 PM.
    '67 122
    '71 142
    '80 245 DL

Comment

So then the engine became a leaky bastard. Time for that to go.

Then I cleaned up the bay and painted it.

Picked up a later FI B20 from a '74 140.

Plugged the FI holes. Mmmm carbs.

Picked up a nice Stahl header and had a v-band and flex section welded on then had it ceramic coated.

Got it mostly assembled.

Completely assembled.

I'll have to use the old manifolds for now. I don't have the rest of my new exhaust finished yet,

Then cleaned and painted the OD tranny.

Added some stainless brake hoses.

Had a friend fab me up an adjustable panhard.

Next I decided the loooong bus shifter had to go so I cut out the tunnel and put in a short shifter from an 1800s.

Got a tunnel from the same model 1800.

Then on my birthday we decided to get it in the car!

Found some BBS Style 5s for a REALLY good deal and picked them up. They'll need a refinish and a re-drill then I'll swap my tires over from the TSWs.

Cranked the new motor for the fist time! Terrible video but proof that I can totally be productive.

So afterward I had to retorque the head to the high spec and readjust the valves. Got the head torqued evenly and attempted to put the rocker shaft back on.

Oops!

No biggie. Picked up an extractor and I was back to standard butthole tightness.

I decided maybe it was time to replace those 46 year old rocker bolts anyway. All buttoned up and ready to be properly tuned.

Rolled it outside with the rest of the Euros.

So that brings it up to today. This week I should get more rebuild kits for the brakes so I can finish those up and then I can start to drive it and really get on tuning it. Then it'll need an alignment and the exhaust made. Just in time to make it to Carlisle next month. I'll be updating this as I update the original build on TB.
      Last edited by AndrewNance; 04-09-2013, 09:47 PM.
      '67 122
      '71 142
      '80 245 DL

Comment

This is pretty dope, on the fence about the wheels though.
        My '66 C10 Build
        My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Originally posted by 99sil-teg View Post
          This is pretty dope, on the fence about the wheels though.
          Which ones? The TSWs were cheap and temporary. Well the Style 5s I actually got for pretty cheap too. I might see if there's some interest in trading them for LMs after they're refinished.
          '67 122
          '71 142
          '80 245 DL

Comment

Surprised you'd want to go backwards into carb realm. I really **** carbs...
            Amazon is looking good though, somehow I like these boxy little things, especially slammed with nice wheels.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Nice

Comment

Love these little things, looks great sitting low on wide wheels. Those style 5's should look great!

Flickr Photostream | My Build Thread | Stalk me on Instagram, yo!

Comment

Gahhh i love these things!! Well done. Its looking good

Comment

The TSW's, also Carbs are awesome!! Love carbs on my '02
                    My '66 C10 Build
                    My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Carbs just belong on some cars. I can't wait to get a set of DCOEs on this thing. That should really wake it up.
                      '67 122
                      '71 142
                      '80 245 DL

Comment

Nice work! I like the mgb gt in one of your pictures, I'm working on one.

Comment

Finally got it running okay today. Then I figured out I have a huge intake leak where I plugged the fuel injector ports which is why it won't run any better than 'okay'.

I got to put 6 miles on it before one of the plugs blew out completely . Oh well. I should be fixing it tomorrow.

'67 122
                          '71 142
                          '80 245 DL

Comment

Nice and simple, looks really good.

Comment

Went ahead and put on a new head. Ported and milled .070" with double valve springs and steel retainers. Next is a full 2.5" mandrel-bent exhaust.

'67 122
                              '71 142
                              '80 245 DL

Comment

Working...
                              X