No announcement yet.

Back from death- the revival of a 74 BMW 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah these damn cars will suck your life away removing 20 layers thick of old paint and rust for miles haha. Looking good! At least you have an aggressive wire wheel.

Really though I think every 02 owner that did body work wishes they had a soda blaster from the start

Comment

Originally posted by Heist View Post
      yeah these damn cars will suck your life away removing 20 layers thick of old paint and rust for miles haha. Looking good! At least you have an aggressive wire wheel.

Really though I think every 02 owner that did body work wishes they had a soda blaster from the start
      Bmw 2002 owners need to group buy a couple hundred soda blasters. We all need to buy them anyways.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/90251835@N06/10396307803/]

Comment

Those wire wheels are so scary for me, plus they vibrate SOOOOOOOO BAD! No like

Comment

Originally posted by rhoderacer View Post
          Lol I need a swimming pool full of coca cola and 1000lbs of sand blast media. This car has 90% of the rust gone since I replaced all the floors. The only rust left is the spare tire well. Hopefully I can stop spending so much time on fixing floors and more time on fenders and suspension.
          Cut the tire well out and replace with aluminum sheet. When I bought my last 02 I never checked the tire well, and the previous owner neglected to tell me that something size of a 2x4 punctured the tire well from the outside. That was a nice surprise.
          Last edited by deutschman; 02-01-2013, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
            Cut the tire well out and replace with aluminum sheet. When I bought my last 02 I never checked the tire well, and the previous owner neglected to tell me that something size of a 2x4 punctured the tire well from the outside. That was a nice surprise.
            It will be cut out for sure. Your previous owner probably tried to jack the car up by the well and Whammmm.

Comment

Could definately be it. It did go all the way through the metal though. Not just a dent. Crazy

Comment

Let's all buy soda blasters together guys but seriously, I spent about 30 minutes of continuous grinding with a DA and 60 grit to strip a 2'x2' section on the '02 yesterday. There's gotta be better ways haha.

Deutschman - I saw on Instagram that one of the CAtuned guys bought your old 2002. Glad it went to a good home, those guys pump out some quality cars

Rhoderacer - Keep up the work dude, those rear tires are going to look gnarly.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                  Let's all buy soda blasters together guys but seriously, I spent about 30 minutes of continuous grinding with a DA and 60 grit to strip a 2'x2' section on the '02 yesterday. There's gotta be better ways haha.

Deutschman - I saw on Instagram that one of the CAtuned guys bought your old 2002. Glad it went to a good home, those guys pump out some quality cars

Rhoderacer - Keep up the work dude, those rear tires are going to look gnarly.
                  I haven't tried to use aircraft stripper yet but I don't think it will even scratch the surface of this stuff. Thanks cubby, I'm glad I didn't go with 16x11s because I don't think they would have fit. And 10s should get the wow factor from the rear.

Comment

I am never using a grinder to strip large amounts of paint again. Last time I burned out two grinders and spent an ass tone of money on grinder disks, not to mention my valuable time. I could have just spent the money on a blaster and some reusable media and spent WAY less time destroying my ears and wrists with sound and vibration.
                    Yeah sold it to one of the young guys that work at Catuned. I wasnt going to sell it to just anyone
                    I know they will finish her off right and be able to fix my fuck ups

Comment

Originally posted by rhoderacer View Post
                      I haven't tried to use aircraft stripper yet but I don't think it will even scratch the surface of this stuff. Thanks cubby, I'm glad I didn't go with 16x11s because I don't think they would have fit. And 10s should get the wow factor from the rear.
                      My experience with aircraft stripper was having to use a ton of it to get through numerous layers of paint, making the process pretty expensive. I'm sure if you went to Home Depot and spent ~$100 on stripper you might have enough to do the exterior of the car. I think 10's in the rear is plenty personally.

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                      I am never using a grinder to strip large amounts of paint again. Last time I burned out two grinders and spent an ass tone of money on grinder disks, not to mention my valuable time. I could have just spent the money on a blaster and some reusable media and spent WAY less time destroying my ears and wrists with sound and vibration.
                      Yeah sold it to one of the young guys that work at Catuned. I wasnt going to sell it to just anyone
                      I know they will finish her off right and be able to fix my fuck ups
                      Very good points, I spend so much damn time doing tedious work like that.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Very good points, I spend so much damn time doing tedious work like that.
                        Dont forget time is money, even when your not at a job. Every minute you spend doing some bull shit is time you could be spending on something more productive.

Comment

we took the car out for a quick drive to make sure she is running well.

Enzo, the shop dog doing his thing

ps. Im mikes friend who is fabing up this beast.

Comment

while I deal with stripping off paint on the 02, I figured it would be a good time to show the daily in winter mode. She is ready for the Nor Easter tomorrow morning. 27 inches of snow expected!!

Untitled

Untitled

the worst part is that i just washed her last night

Untitled

Untitled

track day fun!!

Untitled

Comment

Dope build!

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

Originally posted by 244Brick View Post
                                Dope build!
                                Thanks man.

Comment

Working...
                                X