No announcement yet.

Turning stupid into fun - W123 300D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you go with 16x9 all the way around? Why do I ask? Well I'm selling my E39 and buying my 4th W123, this time it's going low on wheels. Do the 16x9 ET20's work up front with fender work?
    1981 300TD 4 speed
    2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
    , on Flickr
    IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

I just test fitted my 16x9 et20 esm 02 on my w124 and you'll need a 3mm up front the back pad is less then a finger from the caliper w123 might be different but just my .02¢
      Follow on IG
      amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
      Vintage AME Wheels
      RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
      W115 & W123

Comment

Originally posted by AMGwheelwhore View Post
        I just test fitted my 16x9 et20 esm 02 on my w124 and you'll need a 3mm up front the back pad is less then a finger from the caliper w123 might be different but just my .02¢
        I seemed to remember someone on benzworld who said ET20 stuck out past the fender on his C123... Hmm

Edit: 16x8 ET11 caused this. I was thinking wrong.

Last edited by mike-81-240d; 01-24-2013, 02:18 AM.
        1981 300TD 4 speed
        2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
        , on Flickr
        IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

I'm going to be running 7.5 in front, which I haven't really test fitted yet

Something interesting though, is that the old guy who had the car before me had some spacers on it Good thing too, because otherwise there would have been some rubbing! Looks like 10mm, but I haven't really measured them.

On another note, fuel lines are done and no more leak coming from the rubber piece between the IP and prefilter!
          The car doesn't want to turn off anymore though, so that's another issue to deal with

However, it's been between around -30C with the wind chill for a few days here, and probably a few more to come according to the weather, so there will be no metal tools in my hands just yet I'm really aching to go out and snap some pics but that would be stupid seeing as I've just started to recover from a flu

I'll update again when I have something to report
          Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

1999 C43 AMG (no thread..yet)

Comment

Are you running 5x114.3 with wobble bolts, or did you have them drill the wheels to 5x112?
            1981 300TD 4 speed
            2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
            , on Flickr
            IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

Also when you mess with anything on the fuel system of a Om617a you need to pump the primer pump to release all the air from the system. If there's a lot you could also crack each injector if you have two people.
              1981 300TD 4 speed
              2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
              , on Flickr
              IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

Cool build! I'm going to get the same wheels. Just 17x10 I've heard nothing but good things about ESM

Comment

Originally posted by mike-81-240d View Post
                  Are you running 5x114.3 with wobble bolts, or did you have them drill the wheels to 5x112?
                  They make the wheels in 5x112

Drove about 50 km over the weekend, feels awesome! Throttle linkage needs adjusting BAD and there's a nasty squeal coming from a pulley somewhere that I have to find
                  Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Raarasutra View Post

Drove about 50 km over the weekend, feels awesome! Throttle linkage needs adjusting BAD and there's a nasty squeal coming from a pulley somewhere that I have to find
                    On their site it only lists the 16x9's in 5x112, not the 7.5's. Maybe I'll give em a call.

Edit: Derp just figured it out... been a while since I've been on their website.
                    1981 300TD 4 speed
                    2000 BMW M5

Mike Finnelly
                    , on Flickr
                    IG @michaelfinnelly

Comment

Originally posted by Raarasutra View Post

Hold the air box and see if it stops i thought the same thing and i found out i was missing a few nuts that hold it down

W123 BUILD

500SEL BUILD

Comment

Squealing could be the valves or the belts if they are old.
                        Follow on IG
                        amgwheelwhore

Buy my wheels
                        Vintage AME Wheels
                        RUF Speedline Wheels

Buy my cars
                        W115 & W123

Comment

The air box was actually missing a bolt and nut, but I was driving with it off until last week, so that wasn't the source of the noise... I put it back on and tightened the 2 others and it doesn't vibrate against the valve cover anymore

The squeal is coming from the drivers side, and my ear tells me from the pulley at the top near the fuel filter.

It's been FRICKIN' COLD here for a while and I haven't been freezing my fingers off, so all I got done was put the air bowl back in, break and fix my hood latch and resolve another vacuum leak that was again preventing my car from shutting off. And I'm guessing I still have the power drain, but I've been unplugging the battery when I park the car so no progress there.

I got a cool badge for the grille, but no pics cause it's covered in greyish sludgy ice. And I've been giving myself headaches trying to figure out the god damn throttle linkage. Can't bloody figure out why it's won't spring back to idle when I give it more than a little gas and I've greased up everything I could without taking shit apart

Apart from that though, I love this car! It handles awesome and I drift the piss out of it every chance I get. I never knew what I was missing out on with my previous FWD dubs :O
                          Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

Comment

subscribed. just picked up a w123 300d turbo myself. Cant wait to see more progress

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Well, no REAL updates. It sprung an oil leak last time I drove it, so it's pretty much been sitting in my parking space. In a huge ass puddle of water. Looks like an oil line beneath the oil filter was under stress and started to leak badly, and I'm guessing it might be because of the shredded engine mount that sort of leans the block too close for comfort against that oil line..

So what have I done? I ordered a bunch of shit from pelicanparts, namely;

- Engine mounts
                                - T-mount
                                - Wheel bearing grease (since I didn't really repack them when I took the rotors off)
                                - Fuel filter
                                - Hood release handle (plastic broke in the freezing weather...)
                                - Brake pad sensors ('cause the dash warning light bugs the hell out of me)
                                - Rubber mount for the air bowl (one was missing)
                                - And a lug bolt (broke one in the hub, along with my torque wrench... f*#@)
                                - Some socket trays to help organize my tool box

And also decided to clean up the grille a bit...

Before :

After some scrubbing :

Isn't that still ugly as hell? Yeah, I thought so too. So I scuffed it, primed it, and painted it :

So while that shit was drying, I sort of thought that the beat-up and hazy aluminium trim wasn't going to cut it anymore... Soooo.. :

And then I put the pieces back together :

It's far from perfect; I could have sanded the primer some more and the trim still has alot of scratches and dents, but I'm satisfied for now. Next thing I want to take care of is the light covers. Them's gonna get le painted too. And I have to take care of the holes in the body too.

However... I've got little time on my hands lately. I'm moving within the next couple of weeks and I'm going back to school in september. I'm going to be a mechanic for heavy machinery, which is pretty much diesel mechanics Needless to say, I've got a lot of things to do and plan for! Also trying to plan a trip down to the waterfest this summer with a bunch of buddies!

Hope to have more done soon!
                                Flickr

Projects :

1984 W123 300D (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X