96 Impala SS | lowering the daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StanceRasta View Post
    This will be sick! I've thought about slamming one and swapping the auto for a manual.

Sent from Zee iPhone
    Haha that's the goal!

Swapping out the auto 4l60e for a manual t56 is considered the best mod you can do to these cars. I will be doing this, eventually. Funds and difficulty are huge factors in this particular mod that are holding me back. Not only do you have to custom fab the firewall, you also have to completely relocate the brake master cylinder for the new clutch setup. It's a PITA but it can and will eventually be done.
    Instagram @emcsquared90
    Impala SS build "Lowering the Daily"

Comment

Yes, that's pretty much why I never started the project haha. I wish you the best of luck and if I were out that way I'd help haha.

Sent from Zee iPhone

Comment

haha thanks for the thought!
        Instagram @emcsquared90

Comment

Decided kind of randomly that it was time to strip down my interior and "restore" what I can. Replace floor carpet and rear decklid carpet, repaint all plastic panels, and redo leather on interior seats. I also plan on adding a little custom flare with some gauges just below the dash for trans temp and power steering temperature for the track next season.

First step was to take out the bottom of the rear seats:

Next the top of the rear seats as well as the rear decklid carpet, panels, and noise reduction materials:

Found an old french fry in the back under a plastic panel... god only knows how long this has been there!

Looks like I'm not the only one that has ridden in this car before....

I got a little side tracked when my friend showed up with his 9c1 caprice. We were doing a little exhaust modification

Random shot from the garage:

Passenger seat out... nasty looking carpet, anyone know a good place to order from?

Got my friend's exhaust cut, sounds beefy!

So far i'm making money on this interior project!

More to come soon!
          Instagram @emcsquared90

Comment

[QUOTE=SuperSport;916142

thanks! does he have any videos?[/QUOTE]

oddly enough he doesnt even have a picture of it haha,lets just say the good ole 3800 is making 350ft/lbs and the skid is .96g on stock 225/60 tires lol he has alot of custom work on chassis and suspesnion

Instagram:CHUBSTER_CRUZE

Comment

If the car is such a wet noodle, get some strut tower bars and some subframe braces, if thats not enough, get a half cage(wrap it in leather to keep it low key?)

Steam clean the stock carpet when it's out of the car and dye it.
              [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwMZwm-zqrk"]Auto Carpet Dye & Automotive Carpet Dye - YouTube[/ame]

𝔣𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔪𝔢
              @𝔳𝔦𝔳𝔢_𝔪𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔯_𝔩𝔢𝔱𝔦

Comment

The car's frame is definitely a wet noodle lol, chevy's boxed frame is only 3/4 boxed, with one side open. The chassis acts like a frame stiffener, being bolted directly onto it. Frame to body bushings will eventually be upgraded to help stiffen it a little. I can't utilize strut tower braces just because it simply doesn't have any, but on the subframe note... I will be doing some frame reinforcement down the road. It won't really be needed until I modify the rear suspension from the 4 link to 5 link. Roll cage is definitely in the plan book. Also, thanks for the video on the carpet! I might do this for a temporary solution. If there wasn't a known hole in the carpet, i'd be all for it.
                Last edited by SuperSport; 11-03-2012, 10:55 AM.
                Instagram @emcsquared90

Comment

There are places to get carpet for these. My mom's Impala had carpet that was about the same as yours and we got some black carpet to replace it. I did a quick google search and found a couple for around $150

90 Civic Wagon Build Thread
                  1989 Mustang GT

Comment

Love unique things. This is awesome! keep it up!
                    IG: @kyle_eagleton

Comment

Originally posted by BurNs760 View Post
                      oddly enough he doesnt even have a picture of it haha,lets just say the good ole 3800 is making 350ft/lbs and the skid is .96g on stock 225/60 tires lol he has alot of custom work on chassis and suspesnion
                      dang that's a crazy skidpad.. Especially with a 60 sidewall!

Originally posted by black_89gt View Post
                      There are places to get carpet for these. My mom's Impala had carpet that was about the same as yours and we got some black carpet to replace it. I did a quick google search and found a couple for around $150
                      I'm doing some searches and can get them pretty cheap, just under the range you said. I would like to add some sound deadening.. My exhaust is quite loud

Originally posted by AmnKyle@911th View Post
                      Love unique things. This is awesome! keep it up!
                      Thanks!
                      Instagram @emcsquared90

Comment

Got some more work done the other night as well as tonight.

First thing I had to do was get the dash out of the car for paint. Don't worry, the steering wheel will have a new wrap with perforation on the top and bottom. Undecided if i'm gonna go gray/gray or gray/black.

Pulled up the back of the carpet, getting ready for sound deadening material.

Probably the most random thing i've found so far. Carpet has NEVER been pulled up, so my only guess is that this came from the factory. But as you can see, it's a button. WTF? It was underneath all the carpet and insulation. Like I said, random!

Sound deadening material, plastic roller, and a hair dryer. Worked like a charm! It's not dynomat, but this stuff works.

This is where I ended for the night, because of a lack of material. I will definitely be buying more and continuing this weekend.

More to come soon...
                        Instagram @emcsquared90

Comment

Nice use of a cop car.... Like where its heading... Dont let people talk you into 26s

And boom she dropped the ball and he jumped in front of the bus

Comment

Originally posted by BigRuss View Post
                            Nice use of a cop car....
                            Thanks, here's a vid i have from earlier this year of my "cop car"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pqgRhJaH8o"]Police Lights On Impala SS - YouTube[/ame]
                            Instagram @emcsquared90

Comment

That Grace VYCOR roof underlayment is a pretty interesting idea. How does that reduce sound transmission, especially since it is thin and probably is not that dense? Just curious.
                              "I know I'm not Stance|Works material. I'm just a fan. " - Stretchd8

"Jesus must love me " - FittedDownLow

Comment

Honestly if you're looking for a real technical answer... I can't provide one. All I've gotten was testimonials, and I have definitely noticed a reduction in sound. However, this may be more specific to my car. The entire body is made of thin metal, that tends to rattle A LOT, especially if the exhaust has drone (mine drones like a b****). As soon as I put even one thin layer done, the rattle where applied was gone. I layered the trunk and rear deck today (pics soon to come) and the rattle back there is also reduced. I have noticed a slight noise reduction in general, but what i've really noticed is a reduction in drone noise entering the cabin. The material is supposed to be similiar to rubberized asphault, so while it may be somewhat thin it's definitely a dense material. Cutting it is a PITA. I will be double layering certain areas, which should definitely help. Compared to dynamat? I'm sure it can't stack up. But for the price, I don't think I could beat it.
                                Instagram @emcsquared90

Comment

Working...
                                X