Project: "Green Monster"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: "Green Monster"

Said I'd finally put up a thread since I've been lurking for a while. Have had a few projects over the years but the first that sparked it all off was this car about four years ago. Unfortunately I sold it because was getting a bit expensive to run especially with city driving. Saw it come up recently for good money and decided to bite the bullet and get her back, and I'm glad I did.

Colour won't be to everyones taste, a bit "Fast and the Furious" but I'm gonna work with it for a while until I decide what colour I'm going with.

It has a 2.0 8v GTI engine with a TSR Pack "C" head and Kent cams which gives it a nice bit of grunt but I think the engine is gone as far as it can go without spending crazy money (and most likely not even breaking the 200bhp barrier) so I picked up this donor car recently

Can't get over the VR6 noise and torque, very happy with it. Crappy pics in the shed but will bring her out next week for some better pictures and should have new wheels by that time too.

Let me know what ye think :-)

New wheels acquired, pictures tomorrow.

Comment

Rubber ducky YOUR THE ONE! Sorry, i'll show myself out. Nice start btw.

Comment

I'm a sucker for vdubs, subed waiting to see where this leads. do you have any old pics from where you owned it the first time??
        Instagram : TRASHEDTEG

Comment

good move swaping that 2.0 8v for the VR6. those 4cyl are weak to death. I had a mk3 gti like yours but 4 door and was very slow.

why dont just work on the "donor car"? looks fine and u can save a lot of time and energy

Instagram: dankasrz_s666

Comment

if u want speed, get the ABA

if u want sound get a AAA engine

BUT

that vr6 seems in too good a shape to just cut up

i'd say, work on that

ditch the 2.slow
            Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

thanks for the feedback guys. The Donor is actually road worthy, only need tyres and a tie rod but the thing is the green car deserves a proper engine. Also the green one has an immaculate shell. the donor isnt bad but will need more work and also want 4x100 stud pattern.

@Rob_Da_Hood thanks man, should be able to dig some up.

Comment

Should do nicely.

Comment

Nice vdub! I like the meaty tires on the black wheels. More pictures with those wheels on?

Comment

Some 'classic' pictures... Digging where this monster is headed so far.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Must get her out of the shed next weekend, clean her, pictures, bolt on Futura's, pictures and start stripping her. Stay tuned.

Comment

Brought the wheels up to the shed to see how they'd look on the mk3.

Look like they bolt on fine don't they?

Nope, centre bore is about 1mm/1.5mm too small to fit on correctly. Absolutely gutted was an understatement. Have to get them machined out professionally for them to fit. At this point I thought "if it's going to go against me with a simple task like fitting a set of wheels, f**k this" . Felt like selling the lot and buying something modern, you know the feeling.

It was at this point my buddy Shane stepped in and gave me a swift kick up the arse. Subsequently, within two and a bit hours the engine was at a stage where it could be taken out. Huge thanks to Shane as it would've taken a Haynes manual, a week long of work, and hours of head scratching for me to get it to that stage.

Only niggle we hit was that bolts on the manifold and downpipe section weren't having any of it so we need an engine crane (should be delivered this week) in order to manoeuvre it out.

Forgot to add got this with the VR6.

Sat down one evening and did a bit of thinking and came to a conclusion. I'll have the Melbers sitting there (Futura's are going to be used), GTI coilovers are no use for a heavy VR6, and a nicely fettled 8v left over. Sell all and have a tidy some of money to play with for the VR? That would be too sensible, should have another shell during the week, stay tuned.

Comment

That color is eye catching, I think it'll go great with the OZ wheels don't give up!!
                          sigpic

Follow me on Instagram! @cskzero

Comment

Been a while since any update on this. There's been a nice chunk of work done over the past few weeeks, engine was taken out of the donor

Then we went and stripped the rest of the car, all remaining really was the dash adnd a few interior trim pieces

Buddys' Mk2 creepin'.

Accumulated a few more sets of wheels...

So all of this...

Has to be put into this...

half way there anyway! few randoms of the daily.

Needs a bit of lovin' now, but none the less a nicely specced late model 94k mile example. Once the VW's are some what road worthy she'll be going under the knife. More progress during the week hopefully :-)

Comment

Engine
                              Subframe
                              Hubs
                              Petrol tank
                              Fuel lines
                              Master cylinder
                              Loom

All put in over the past week, more to follow this weekend

Found another lock up to store the daily, once the VR is on the road work should commence with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X