A junky e36 m3 gets a makeover.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Logan View Post
    My car is a 95, so I get the advantage of a chip tune. I traded some wheels for the tune.

The tune is setup for:

draw through MAF
    60lb injectors
    stock compression
    803 MAF

The guy I got the tune from made 470whp on a stock motor.

Not going for that, but we will see
    Ahhh OBD1 reigns supreme once again... Anywhere in the ball park of 470whp is going to be CRAZY!
    -Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Logan View Post
      My car is a 95, so I get the advantage of a chip tune. I traded some wheels for the tune.

The tune is setup for:

draw through MAF
      60lb injectors
      stock compression
      803 MAF

The guy I got the tune from made 470whp on a stock motor.

Not going for that, but we will see
      If I wanted a custom tune for my exact setup from a tuner, do you know what I would need? I would need some kind of standalone management, right? Or a shop that would be able to burn a custom chip for my setup, but a standalone would probably be a lot easier?

Comment

Originally posted by BeemerBuyer View Post
        Ahhh OBD1 reigns supreme once again... Anywhere in the ball park of 470whp is going to be CRAZY!

Originally posted by Morbid View Post
        If I wanted a custom tune for my exact setup from a tuner, do you know what I would need? I would need some kind of standalone management, right? Or a shop that would be able to burn a custom chip for my setup, but a standalone would probably be a lot easier?
        It depends. Are you OBD1 or OBD2?

Comment

Obd1

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid View Post
            Obd1

Excellent you have it easy!

For tuning, you will need either a 3.5" 540i MAF for under 400hp, or a 803 porsche MAF for more than that. You can have your car dyno tuned at TRM or remote tuned by them. They are the best out there!

Since you are OBD1, all you need is a chip burned! Or you can buy a turbo tune second hand, and buy the appropriate parts.

BTW, 413 ecu and 507 ecu tunes are interchangeable.

Comment

word. I'm glad I got a '95

Comment

Well guys, I bit the bullet again and bought some ARP2000 head studs.

Got em for $135 shipped brand new....Couldn't resist.

Comment

We need videos.
                  -Nick

Comment

Update.

So my car left me stranded. Again.

The 175K mile original Valeo alternator died. It led a good life

The thing was FILTHY when I pulled it.

A buddy of mine works at advance auto parts so I got his discount on a Bosch 80 amp.

$122.46 out the door.

Install was a piece of cake.

While I was waiting on my alternator, I decided to do a few things that have been bothering me.

1) I have had 2 mechanical fans fail already. Convert to electric.

2) The PO had drilled holes in the shock tower to mount ballasts and other stuff. I am going to shave the holes and brackets.

The electric fan was easy. I modified the A/C pusher fan and re-used it.

Now, onto the nasty stuff. I had already removed the A/C lines and condensor to give me room for the top mount manifold and 4" thick intercooler core.

Here is the bay minus the A/c lines:

See that washer fluid tank bracket? That will be gone shortly. As well as the hood trigger security thing. I have already tucked away the diagnostic port into the ECU box.

Back to work:

Washer tank bracket is gone. Now I have 2 holes to fill in. Oh joy

I also started on removing that goo that surrounds the shock towers.

An hour later, a few tack welds and body filler anddddd

Still ugly for now.

Rolled the car outside to test the alternator. All is good. Popped in the new chrome grills as well.

I get to start sanding this mess down once it fully cures.

Here she is:
                    Last edited by Logan; 01-29-2010, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Wow great build! Awesome to see you did your research and went ahead with this project
                      "This community is made up of people who strive to push the boundaries of the conceivable"

Comment

So no AC ... huh? Or are you going to put everything back after you put in the IC piping?
                        -Nick

Comment

The top mount won't allow for A/C lines. And my FMIC is waayyy to big for an a/c condensor.

Luckily, I have a DD e30 (build for it coming soon).

I started sanding down the patches today and it looks seamless! Really stoked about that! I'm sure no one else will ever notice, but the personal gratification is awesome.

Comment

well done

1990 325is- current project
                            1986 325e- Parts Donator
                            2000 e46 w/ BBS #197-Totaled!!!
                            1989 Turbo/intercooled 740 Volvo-Donated

"Once you buy a BMW you will notice that over the years you will slowly become a certified mechanic, your trunk will be filled with coolant, rags and ATF fluid but your life will feel complete". - Me

Comment

im liking what youre doing with the car...youve managed to take a rather riced E36 and make it tasteful no tint chrome grilles stock ambers non-blacked out wheels all very very well done

Comment

I want a turbo soooo much.
                                Good luck with the build!

Comment

Working...
                                X