1976 911s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by that911 View Post
    Looks like a nice car. What do you plan on using the car for?

I was in the same boat. I started pulling the rear interior out and ended up with the car a completely gutted interior short of the dash (can't due to rules)

I'll try to post some pictures of the interior and mounting tonight. I'll be trying to work the panel tonight to fit better so I'll let you know the results as well. If you'd like you can PM me about some ideas to help you with your project.

Thanks, and it needs a ton of work on the exterior. Hopefully that'll be done in a month or two.
    And yes I am on tumblr that911.com
    I'm definitely curious to see what you come up with on the panel. The car is a long-term project, basically have wanted a proper 911 my entire life so when the chance came up I went for it. I am just building it as a hot rod to track and knock around with on the street occasionally, W2W is unrealistic right now given a lack of time due to work and spec e30 funds. Once the time comes to go racing I'll probably either buy another 911 or some other car to play with.

I'm a bit sick with myself for not at least getting out on a track with mine before I tore the hell out of it, my impatience definitely got the best of me. What are your plans, W2W, TT, or similar to mine?

Love to see a build so similar to what I'm working with, I'd start my own thread if the build were going anywhere. Unfortunately I get the chance to work on it a couple days a month if I'm lucky...the lack of progress would make for a boring build.

Comment

Its great to see other 911s being enjoyed ! I also am building a stripped down, simplified car.
      Are you going to do anything to your nose panel to get it to flow with the turbo flares? Get rid of those side view mirrors at the first opportunity, 4 lbs each ! (electric mirrors)

Whose flares/front fenders did you use? Are you pleased with the quality?

Here is my '82

Comment

Originally posted by FJ40runr View Post
        I'm definitely curious to see what you come up with on the panel. The car is a long-term project, basically have wanted a proper 911 my entire life so when the chance came up I went for it. I am just building it as a hot rod to track and knock around with on the street occasionally, W2W is unrealistic right now given a lack of time due to work and spec e30 funds. Once the time comes to go racing I'll probably either buy another 911 or some other car to play with.

I'm a bit sick with myself for not at least getting out on a track with mine before I tore the hell out of it, my impatience definitely got the best of me. What are your plans, W2W, TT, or similar to mine?

Love to see a build so similar to what I'm working with, I'd start my own thread if the build were going anywhere. Unfortunately I get the chance to work on it a couple days a month if I'm lucky...the lack of progress would make for a boring build.
        The sunroof panel fitment is pure shit, I'm not going to use it. In fact I'm pretty pissed off at how bad it is. Sorry I haven't had a chance to take pictures. I was at WSIR and the Concorso Ferrari this weekend (without my 911 thanks to that sunroof panel) so I didn't have a chance to drive my car. I'll try to take some tonight.

I'm still unsure about my plans with the car. It is a dedicated track car, and I want to see what kind of lap times it puts down when I'm done. If it is competitive I'll run it in the NASA TT series and possible Global Time Attack. I still have a few months of set up before I really make a decision though. At worst I'll just enjoy it at track days and do some POC/PCA time trials.

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
        Its great to see other 911s being enjoyed ! I also am building a stripped down, simplified car.
        Are you going to do anything to your nose panel to get it to flow with the turbo flares? Get rid of those side view mirrors at the first opportunity, 4 lbs each ! (electric mirrors)

Whose flares/front fenders did you use? Are you pleased with the quality?

Here is my '82

Looks like you have a nice sc.

The mirrors will go. I'll be replacing them with 935 Mirrors.

I opted for the NB bumper since I want to try something with a splitter/canard/spat set up to bring it together. Then if that doesn't work TRE has a new 965 front spoiler set up I'll try.

I used the Rennspeed flares. The front fitment was good, the rear fitment was not so hot. If it wasn't a track car I probably would not have accepted the rear fitment. The fact is that this car will see a hard life and those will probably get destroyed anyway so fitment doesn't have to be perfect. If I would have known how bad the rear fitment was in the first place I would have gone with Betterbodies or GT.

Originally posted by willis View Post
        I real classic car. Very nice work.
        Thank you

Comment

I'm so glad this baby actually is driven hard.

Comment

That car is so fucking raw! I love it! It looks awesome without a rear bumper.

Comment

That's a bummer that the sunroof held you up. Honestly I was thinking about resorting to using the stock piece (the rennspeed plug IS NOT THAT LIGHT!), and then I picked it up.

Meant to also ask, how do you like the shifter? I'm thinking I'll go the hargett way, though I have heard a lot about having to mod it to stiffen it up. Kind of hurts to have to buy the shifter, their update, AND mod it in the end.

Comment

Wow. The lack of rear bumper and that wing just make the car!

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

that thing is fuckin' sick exactly how it is. Well a wider front bumper would help, but the lack of rear is dope. love it.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Here are pictures of the interior. Sorry about how dirty the car is. I just got it started and driving again so I haven't had a chance to clean it.

Fj40 Sorry the picture of the brackets is terrible. To be honest the idea didn't work out and the panel fitment was too poor for me to want to make it work. You could try putting something heavy on it and hitting it with a heat gun to flatten it out. I opted to go a completely different route. I'll post pictures of that when it come in. I need to go through and touch up parts of the interior and finish a couple of spots. Then I'll be removing the dash pad when I take out the windshield and replacing it with a plastic or carbon piece.

Last edited by that911; 07-28-2015, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Wutchu talkin about. Domo is the man!

Pretty sweet shifter setup and overall good racing setup it seems.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

Flippin sweet Bruv one of my all time favourite cars in general.

Comment

I wanted to be able to see my afrs to be able to tune, and see my afrs on the fly. I didn't want it to stand out, so I gutted the clock (which was never right since I always pull the kill switch) and put the gauge in there. I was very happy with the outcome.

Last edited by that911; 05-09-2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

funny you're concerned about a gauge sticking out on a racecar, but nevertheless, that's a sweet mounting location.

Comment

Okay a little update of the project.

I installed some 31mm rear torsion bars.

every project requires refreshments

Then I changed the air correction jets on the carbs.

After that I took it to the BMWCCA LA Auto-X at Fontana. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but the car handled MUCH better with the new rear torsions. I was able to eliminate a lot of the understeer the car had before.

This weekend I'll be setting up for the splitter mounting to the chassis and making templates for the canards

Then I'll be at Buttonwillow for the weekend of the 2nd and 3rd.

Also to answer FJ's question about my sunroof panel, the following weekend I'll be installing a carbon fiber roof skin from GT-Racing. Here is a sneak peek at the roof.

Originally posted by C-Hutch View Post
                              funny you're concerned about a gauge sticking out on a racecar, but nevertheless, that's a sweet mounting location.
                              I was a little more concerned at the time, a big part of it was I also wanted to be able to easily glance down at my gauges on straights so I put it there so they were all near each other.
                              Last edited by that911; 05-23-2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

every project requires refreshments

YES omg yes you are living the dream! I love your car.

Comment

Working...
                                X