Five- oh swap into an e30.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by StancedEf_est.1990 View Post
    Loving this e30 and the direction its going. I want am e30 at one point in time I was going to droll my ef and pick one up, bump bro
    Grab one man Awesome cars, blank slates really. Any style works with them.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

• Well first off, got my diff back together with new fluid.

Got some spark plugs, installed those.

Picked up my (finally) finished ds. Came out awesomely! Going to paint it soon...

Started my exhaust. The beginnings are the stock 5.0 piping, then the cut up m42 driveshaft, and 45 degree bends.

Left overs.

I'm further along, but never got pictures.

Next up was the shifter. Now, its 2 piece and there are 2 problems; the first is that the shifter is WAY too close to the steering wheel/ windshield wiper switch. To solve this I needed to space in. Secondly, there is a whole rubber contraption with gave the shift a sloppy feel(meant as a cushion I guess, to add comfort). I don't really care about comfort. So I went ahead and simply welded a piece onto the shift, redrilled smaller holes, and there yah go.

Then saturday/ sunday came, race time again Some misc pics.

(silver car is what I was driving)

No pics of mud or dirt or anything, I'll steal them from other people if anybody cares.

Now to today.

A pic of some of my liquids stash.

Got here some make-up.

Then, I decided to just tear down the remaining fi stuff.

Now you see it:

Now you don't:

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

• Then got my m20 rad mounted.

Much more clearance!

Then decided to test out the clay bar stuff I bought. Sorry for the crappy lighting.

Before(note lack of reflection):

After(Reflection ):

Wanted to get rid of the stupid wire thing I was using to run my positive wires.

So I picked up a much simpler unit for $1.

Took the old one out.

And new one in, much cleaner!

Now, the location where I put he mount for the throttle cable put in at a very annoying/ dangerous angle to the pedal. I could tell it was catching, so had to take care of that.

Old location for comparison:

After slotting the hole, moving it down, spacing it(made it level with the rest of the pedal set) and making a plate of aluminum to cover the old holes up.

When I took out a lot of the old bmw wiring and such, there were a lot of left over holes. A few of which I needed, one which I wanted to cover up(may get to others). Basically cut up some aluminum to fit, and riveted in on. Sealed it, and will be painting it black.

Then started on the sunroof delete!

Decided I didn't really want a giant hole where my shifter was, so again, cut up up some aluminum and riveted it on

Mocking it up.

Rivited and finished.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

• Then to my wheels to get tires mounted. Got them back and guess what? Not only did they put 3 in the same direction, they put a gouge in my wheels. Not only that, but the manager had the nerve to take it upon himself to sand down, and SPRAY PAINT my year old Schmidts without so much as calling me, alerting me to situation and asking the best plan of action. Fortunately, thanks to me going back and talking to them, I'll now be getting refinished wheels for free

Then after that got sorted out, decided it was time for PICTARS! Excuse the lack of front bumper, I'm just now realizing I need to modify the early model valance to fit the side bumper supports(makes sense, just didn't think about it. I will be running 20mm's all around, but didn't have them today.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

• The rear cover I painted and put on to stop from being blinded but the shiny insulation.

How to tell that my suspension has not settled:

And rust repair happens wednesday

Aaaaaaaand I'm done for now.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

• Is it me or wtf is up with you man...

You pay so much attention to small but genius things like the badge in the frontgrill,
              the Edelbrock parts, the speedometer...

and then you cut a giant hole in your roof and rivet a steel plate on that looks like

I don't get it...

Comment

• Originally posted by OrangeBlue View Post
                Is it me or wtf is up with you man...

You pay so much attention to small but genius things like the badge in the frontgrill,
                the Edelbrock parts, the speedometer...

and then you cut a giant hole in your roof and rivet a steel plate on that looks like

I don't get it...
                When did I ever cut a hole in my roof? I took out the sunroof to make room for a cage, saved 20+ pounds in the progress, and then used the spec e30 way of covering it up. My car is a pos, why make something look pretty rather than going with something that is a tried a true way that will work.

I made my car to have fun, not look good.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

• Awesome build man! Much love for E30's, especially swapped ones!
                  2004 Subaru WRX

Comment

• Originally posted by WRDrew View Post
                    Awesome build man! Much love for E30's, especially swapped ones!
                    Thanks man

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

• Well my browser just deleted my whole update. And I'm lazy, so abbreviated.

ds painted to stop rust.

Instaling:

Front bumper and 20mm spacers on.

sunroof sealed up.

Finally got my light switch wired back up!

High beam blanks.

Some random pics.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

• Dude! I love it! Great work so far.

Also, I don't know if you've gotten your Edelbrock carb yet.
                        From my experience and my dad's MANY years of carburetor experience, Holley's are far superior to the Edelbrocks.

We had a 440 Superbee on the dyno. He had a super expensive Edelbrock and all he could eek out of his car were 11.10's. He dumped money into SO many things to go faster. Nothing worked. On the dyno we threw on an old Holley 750 we had sitting around, changed the jets and the car picked up serious power. He took it to the track and ran 10.80's.

Course, he took the Holley off and went back to the Edelbrock... went 11.10's again.
                        Last edited by M.Doban; 06-15-2012, 12:35 PM.

Instagram: surpriseitsmicah

Builds:

Comment

• Thanks man, appreciate the comment. And very good to know. I think I'm going to stick with the Edelbrock for now, if not purely because I'm getting it new in box for VERY cheap. But really helps to hear advice like that because the next big upgrade is a built engine(or somewhat built) so I'll definitely look into a Holley when I get that. Thanks again!

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

• My friend went to the junk yard today and pulled some stuff for me. Firstly some m20 coolant hoses, so I mocked/ cut those up for how I want them to fit.

Some close clearance with where the exhaust will be, going to have to wrap the exhaust/ pipe.

Other bits.

Got one of my blanks mounted, looks pretty good if I do say so myself!

Exciting! Got my rad fully mounted hahah.

Made a simply little bracket to hold my brake fluid container in place.

Mounted.

Some updated pics of the rust repair, obviously not finished on any of them yet!

Don't worry about this bit, it will be getting taken care of professionally soon, I just don't want it to rust at all.

This door rust repair came out well! Just need to blend it a little bit.

Decided to finally swap my mirrors out for a little bit better ones, until I paint/ refinish my current ones.

Newer ones on left, old ones on right.

Screw in 2 bolts, plug a wire in and you're good.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

• This is so dope. Is it too soon to say I love you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Xtra Big Kahuna View Post
                                This is so dope. Is it too soon to say I love you?
                                Its never too soon

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Comment

Working...
                                X