CubbyChowder finally got a BMW 2002 - it's project time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frink84 View Post
    awesome shop build thread, very inspiring. keep up the good work!
    Originally posted by Nystad View Post
    Love this thread, spend hours looking at it
    Originally posted by Dutch View Post
    As long as my work don't find out I spent more than half of my work day looking through this forum, I think I'm good... This, right here, is automotive art, those roofracks are awesome! And the furniture! At the start you had barely done welding, and now, a pro?! Damn. Make me a roof rack for my mk2 Rocco!
    Originally posted by MiniBenni View Post
    Made an account just to say keep it up finish your products ill be one of many wating in line for one!

With the kids my 325ix will need your roof rack!
    Thanks guys!

Originally posted by MkI View Post
    Wow.

I just finished reading the thread, and could see the time gaps in updates for the last 7 or so pages. I was really hoping you hadnt sold it, but thats a bit selfish. Having read the thread over such a short period of time you can see how much you have matured and grown around this car. Like you said it has developed the skills you now use to make a living, and kudos to you! But also kudos to this project as a whole, the car, the ideas, the plan.

I dont know you and i wont ever meet you in person, but the guy i know "you" as is one determined and talented mother fucker. So creative and talented due to ability and what you have taught yourself (and from others like your dad - its a conscious decision to accept peoples teachings). You sound like a good man, with a good girl, a great outlook on life and endless opportunities. Thats the type of guy i'd buy a beer for.

Goodluck with your work, you're a talented dude!

Oh and thank fuck you decided to keep the 2002
    timelines for these projects arent everything. I've had my car for 15 years and its slowly coming together. Just keep remembering the effort you put in (which in your case is mammoth) will make you smile so much more when you're cruising the Beemer home from a show on a beautiful spring sunday afternoon. That stuff is what we'll remember at the end of our days
    Damn....thanks for the kind words dude. Comments like this really motivate me more than anything. I really do owe it all to the BMW and I've fully accepted the fact that it will be a few years before I can finish it. But like you said, it's going to be that much better when I'm finally cruising around in it, and I'm really looking forward to that day.

If I ever end up on your side of the world, I'd love to take you up on that beer. Thanks again for the comment, made my night!

Originally posted by V8-ESPRITS3 View Post
    cool project dude, keep up the good work.
    Thank you!

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
      Thanks guys!

Damn....thanks for the kind words dude. Comments like this really motivate me more than anything. I really do owe it all to the BMW and I've fully accepted the fact that it will be a few years before I can finish it. But like you said, it's going to be that much better when I'm finally cruising around in it, and I'm really looking forward to that day.

If I ever end up on your side of the world, I'd love to take you up on that beer. Thanks again for the comment, made my night!

Thank you!
      no worries champ, hit us up if you venture this way!

1963 850 - 1408cc, 45DCOE, 'S' 7.5" brakes, 6-point cage, blasted, Velo GPT-2's, rear beam

Comment

• No progress on the '02, but here are a few photos of some custom roof racks that I recently designed and built specifically for E30's and 2002's.

I spent a ton of time designing these and am happy with how they turned out. I originally had planned to produce these, but decided not to pursue these further for now, they are just too expensive to build.

I created my own adjustable gutter mount system which allows interchangeability between the 2002 and E30 platform (and possibly other models and makes of cars).

Achieving a super low profile aesthetic while maintaining functionality was my main goal. These are incredibly sturdy and don't cause as much wind noise as you'd think. There are gaps between the wood and metal for wind to pass through to minimize upward lift and howling. A lot of thought went into how everything flows together and I did my best to hide as many welds as possible.

There are 3 of these in existence now; one is in Texas, one in Florida and the other in Sacramento in the hands of CAtuned. Can't wait to see some photos of one of my racks sitting on top of a proper built E30 coupe or 2002. The guy who lives in Florida owned a beautiful Calypso 2002 when he ordered a rack off me and since sold it for an E30 touring, which the rack looks pretty small on unfortunately. They're more designed for coupe models. The guy in Texas is building a killer '02 though, but it won't be done for quite a while. Anyways, I'll post some pics up as soon as I receive them.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• That's the finest roof rack I've ever seen! I saw one at the e30 picnic last Sunday on a dark touring from CA. Was amazing looking. I love it.
          -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
          '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
          '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

• Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
            That's the finest roof rack I've ever seen! I saw one at the e30 picnic last Sunday on a dark touring from CA. Was amazing looking. I love it.
            Thanks dude! The touring was a CAtuned customer car that they drove up for the show. That's rad you saw it

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• This is pure art.

Comment

• Honestly sickest roof racks I've ever seen. I'd definitely want one for my bimmer, if it ever gets finished. Keep up the good work

Comment

• I'm so hard right now for one of these!!!!! They are a real beauty!

Comment

• Thanks everyone! Stoked on the positive feedback!

Here are a few photos of my black rack installed on the CAtuned E30 touring and one from the guy in florida who has an E30 touring as well:

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• luv the rack but it could use a bit more length on the long-ass tourings.

Get your 02 back on the to-do list NAO!

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

• Originally posted by TeckniX View Post
                        luv the rack but it could use a bit more length on the long-ass tourings.

Get your 02 back on the to-do list NAO!
                        Exactly, they're built for coupes so they look tiny on tourings. I'm just dying to see one on a nice coupe haha. I can't complain because both tourings are really nice, but it's just not the look I was going for.

I'll post a photo up of the '02 pretty soon, it's in a pretty sad state haha.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• How do you bend that box tube so nicely?

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 84 Jetta Diesel

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM

Comment

• Originally posted by semaj4712 View Post
                            How do you bend that box tube so nicely?
                            It's solid, not tubing, which is why I was able to bend that tight of a radius with no caving. Bent it on a standard compact bender

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

• I spent a ton of time designing these and am happy with how they turned out. I originally had planned to produce these, but decided not to pursue these further for now, they are just too expensive to build.
                              -CubbyChowder
                              You might want to think about selling the plans for it i know some good welders here in quebec and it would be a nice way to see your work on more cars.
                              Sometimes i wonder if building it from scratch would be easier than stripping the rust away!

Comment

• Need to see some progresssssss LOL go go go!!!! more powaaaaa

Comment

Working...
                                X