X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Riley_J View Post
    check out http://www.forge-wheels.com/

the owner is a buddy of mine and is great to work with
    It will be hard stuffing 18"-24" wheels under a 2002. I did not see any options for smaller wheels on the site.

Finding wheels is a bit tricky. I am having the same difficulty. Considering running adapters for different bolt patterns might open up your options. If you really go crazy I know people who have run e30 M3 (5 lug bolt pattern) strut tubes up front and converted the rear sub frame to an e30 sub frame with Z3 control arms. Its a bit of fabrication, but you would get larger brakes all around, and have a full 5 lug conversion.
    Here are some options for your car with no changes. Its hard to find wide wheels that fit so most of these are 7" wide...
    Axis OG
    Huge selection of aftermarket wheels - Shop for lightweight tuner rims, deep lip racing wheels, and more. XXR, AVID.1, Circuit Performance, 9SIX9 and more!

Ankei 92

Superlite Wheels have some cool old school wheels

Comment

^^thanks for all the wheel references. I'm pretty much only considering 16's at this point to pull off the look that I'm going for. I don't think I'm willing to do the whole E30 conversion stuff, it's not really necessary for what I'll be using the car for. I'm sure I'll be able to find something eventually, I just can't really progress too far with my build until I get a set of wheels as the suspension and fenders will be built around the wheel setup.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--My Shop: Where Passion Meets Livelihood (or tries to)--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Let me know what you find. I am kind of in the same place you are. The best selution is getting a set made, I just dont have $3000 sitting around for a set of Rotiforms.

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
          It will be hard stuffing 18"-24" wheels under a 2002. I did not see any options for smaller wheels on the site.
          Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
          ^^thanks for all the wheel references. I'm pretty much only considering 16's at this point
          Yeah, his website needs updating but he would probably hook you up
          Last edited by Riley_J; 03-09-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

hey just wondering the mileage and how much you picked it up for if you dont mind me asking and sorry if i missed it

Comment

very nice man!
              @slowprogress

Comment

Even if this build would be going to be half as epic as Heist's build i'm subbed. Very curious about your vision on a stanced 2002.

Comment

Although updates have been pretty slow, I've been working on the car a bunch. I'm just mainly doing rust repair right now which isn't super picture/update worthy after every time I work on the car. So I'm just going to pile a bunch of pics I've taken over the past couple of days.

Before I post some pictures, I need to say that I realize this isn't the absolute ideal way to deal with rust, however I'm doing the best that I can. I'm learning everything as I go, and I don't feel comfortable cutting out and rewelding in certain spots (such as the rear windshield area).

I started off with grinding away as much surface rust as possible, and I almost got everything back to bare metal. I did repair a few spots in the floorpans, but for the most part everything was solid. You will notice in the pictures there are a few tiny rust spots here and there, but the rust bullet paint should take care of that.

This is my welder, it's a Lincoln 180HD which I got for a super good price brand new off craigslist, and I just got a 141 cu.ft. Argon/co2 shielding gas setup for it so I can get at the really thin metal.

This is the section of the driver's side floorpan that I cut out:

Replacement metal, cut from an old Chrysler Sebring in my dad's backyard

Welded up, please bare with me, it was my first time welding thin metal:

Passenger's side floor pan. Only had to replace a small area, getting it ready for Rust Bullet:

This is where the new quarter panel was welded in. Everything was a little rusty all around the seams but I got it all back to bare metal and ready for rust bullet:

This is where the rear windshield sits. It's all dented up with bondo everywhere. Took it down to bare metal as good as I could. Ready for rust bullet

Top of the windshield area, all of the rust ground down, ready for rust bullet.

Rust Bullet applied:

I know in some of the post Rust Bullet pictures, it looks like there is still rust all around it. That's mainly a mixture of dirt and the "Colorado" orange color which is the color of the quarter panel that was welded in. There is no more visible rust anywhere on the floorpan (except for the pedal box area, which I will be taking care of when I remove the box). Happy with my progress so far. Like I said, I know it would be ideal to replace every bit of rust with new metal, but I feel like I'd drive myself crazy doing that. I've read good stuff about Rust Bullet so I'm sure it'll hold up. Thanks for viewing!
                  Last edited by CubbyChowder; 03-22-2012, 09:31 PM.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

I always liked the 2002, Amazing work so far!
                    Definitely interested in seeing where this goes.
                    I Lurk a lot.
                    Follow me on IG: vSabertoothv

Comment

Update time.

Making more progress, got a bunch of pictures for you guys.

Started getting at the trunk area for rust repair and general clean up:

Got the gas tank out:

Worst rust spot in the trunk:

Didn't get very far with the trunk as my dad had time to help me pull the engine, so we started on that. Driveshaft out:

Shifter assembly out:

Tranny out (yuck):

Engine is ready to come out:

Engine out. My dad sold his engine hoist and mount a few months back so we had to improvise a bit haha:

This is the only progress I made on the trunk area so far:

My awesome dad:

My parts room is starting to fill up!

After a thorough pressure wash. Still need to get at some places:

Going back for more tomorrow! Enjoy dudes.
                      Last edited by CubbyChowder; 03-27-2012, 12:10 AM.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Awesome. Glad to see your dad is helping you out. I enjoy having my dad help me out now and then too.

2001 Focus Sedan from an ex-ricer. See my build thread
                        http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17122

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalFocus View Post
                          Awesome. Glad to see your dad is helping you out. I enjoy having my dad help me out now and then too.
                          Yeah it's awesome, he's super down to help out when I need it. I'm trying to do as much myself as possible but sometimes I need his help as a lot of this stuff is completely new to me. Learned a lot today though, it was a good experience for me.

--Golden Boy E30 Build--

--Etsy Shop--

--@ayyyitsmikey--

Comment

Are you going to move the battery to the trunk? It really really cleans up your engine bay! Just go to your Pick N Pull and find an e30 that has a trunk mounted battery. Pull the battery cable out along with the battery distributor block that is mounted to the passenger side firewall. Then you can use all of that to put your battery in the trunk. Just fab up a battery tray out of some angle iron.
                            I really like all the work so fare! I start the actual work on my car this Sunday! I am so excited!

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
                              Yeah it's awesome, he's super down to help out when I need it. I'm trying to do as much myself as possible but sometimes I need his help as a lot of this stuff is completely new to me. Learned a lot today though, it was a good experience for me.
                              I'm honestly a bit jealous, because my dad is the reason I'm a car buff. Although he's never turned a wrench with me.. Which sux but hey whatever!

W I L D M A N 'S R O D S H O P

R.I.P P.WALKER 2013/11/30

Comment

This is awesome
                                Christof Goulart
                                FCGoulartDesign.

Comment

Working...
                                X