81 Rabbit Slow and Low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 Rabbit Slow and Low

Picked this up in may, the w/w and turn signals didnt work, fan didnt ever come on, and the engine leaked from the exhaust and intake. drove it for a while until. I took the engine out and all the suspension components and just started cleaning and gathering stuff. This will be my daily driver, so I won't be doing much engine modding. The plan is to get a header, exhaust, and big cam/HD springs. Im keeping the 1.8L 8v. I already bought a bunch of stuff, pretty much everything to get it running. All I need is a battery, tranny fluid for my rebuilt FF(bought for 20$), Oil change, and motivation to put it all together lol.

When I first bought it

13X6 BBS Mahle's

Im eventually gonna take the core support off and try to fix it.
    Last edited by A1 BausSauce; 02-08-2012, 03:31 AM.

do everyone a favour and remove those sml

hope u will be keeping it that color
    Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Yes im keeping the same color.
      Last edited by A1 BausSauce; 02-09-2012, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Comment

I really hope you decide to get extremely involved with this car

mki's deserve all

Comment

Gotta love the Mahles! Mine are 14x6 though..

Comment

Originally posted by softg View Post
              I really hope you decide to get extremely involved with this car

mki's deserve all
              I will be don't worry. I'm not doing much with it right now cause I'm on job hunt mode

NIce Mahle's. I need to polish mine up, but dont know where to start. Everything is removed from mine to bare metal. Do I just start sanding?

Comment

do everyone a favour and remove those sml

Comment

Originally posted by A1 BausSauce View Post
                  NIce Mahle's. I need to polish mine up, but dont know where to start. Everything is removed from mine to bare metal. Do I just start sanding?
                  I'd recommend starting with steel wool to get all the paint off the lips before you start sandpaper. From memory I only went to 800 grit. I just jacked mine up, put it in gear and got sanding

Comment

Looking forward to watching this

Comment

Looks like a great start.
                      Im almost tempted to pick up that exact same rabbit but no room and a crappy mk2 taking up the garage.
                      91 Golf Rebuild - slow as fuck right now

Comment

Originally posted by timmy201 View Post
                        I'd recommend starting with steel wool to get all the paint off the lips before you start sandpaper. From memory I only went to 800 grit. I just jacked mine up, put it in gear and got sanding
                        My rims are bare metal right now, no paint on them at all.

It took me awhile to figure out what sml ment, Im not worrying about that till i can drive it.

Comment

Originally posted by renngolf View Post
                          Looks like a great start.
                          Im almost tempted to pick up that exact same rabbit but no room and a crappy mk2 taking up the garage.
                          pick it up, ditch the mk2...... haha jk, I had a mk2 Jetta that I swapped a aba/jh into, I miss that thing.

Comment

SPRING BREAK!!! Im starting to get this thing going, I went and got my brake hardline today and got all my new lines on. Now Im ready to get the engine all assembled and ready to throw in tomorrow. I just need to get my tie rod ends on, sway bars, and I should be rollin' in a week or two. Oh and all my wisdom teeth are getting pulled on friday, so I won't be able to work on it for a few days, then on the 30th its my 21st birthday!!!!

My steering colomn collapsed when i was trying to get it in the U-joint, anyone know if you can un-collapse it? I dont wanna have to get another one.

Comment

Originally posted by A1 BausSauce View Post
                              SPRING BREAK!!! Im starting to get this thing going, I went and got my brake hardline today and got all my new lines on. Now Im ready to get the engine all assembled and ready to throw in tomorrow. I just need to get my tie rod ends on, sway bars, and I should be rollin' in a week or two. Oh and all my wisdom teeth are getting pulled on friday, so I won't be able to work on it for a few days, then on the 30th its my 21st birthday!!!!

My steering colomn collapsed when i was trying to get it in the U-joint, anyone know if you can un-collapse it? I dont wanna have to get another one.
                              You will be fine, I had my wisdom teeth out in the fall and I was in the garage doin stuff later that day. Only took regular tylenol, no hardcore pain killers. Be prepared to not eat a lot for a week or so though. Steering column in my old MK2 was collapsed too when I got the car. I'm fairly sure you can pull it out again but you have to take it out of the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X