I've been lurking for a while...so, my e28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E28stoff View Post
    trust me, i still wish i got a seven for that reason. its a little tight in the back of e28's
    Nah! e28s are a california king bed. Try it in the back of a VW gti. Or a caged s13! Haha not fun.

Comment

Sorry for the wait, but I have updates!

Well, I have some updates finally! Nothing tooo major, but pretty significant to me.

For starters, I have been doing a little maintenance here and there, keeping myself busy. But anyways, I was previously on the NEX coilovers which were great, until I decided I wanted to go lower than I was previously...

That being said, I decided to go all out, and started looking around, the first thing that came to mind was Ground Control. I knew they were what a lot of the e28 guys recommended, and they are only 15 minutes up the hill from my house, but I didn't know how low they would go being that they mainly make performance based systems... so I started looking around trying to see some e28's running them.

I came across Mike Burrough's build thread and saw that he had contacted them asking them to make a set to "put the car on the ground" but read a couple lines further and found that the setup didn't quite do that, so I decided I would pay them a visit...

I drove up and talked to the owner Jay, and manager Mark, and they said they would take on my request to be able to be as low as I was, or lower, and still have some suspension travel.. the solution, a complete custom kit...

I put in my order and started the process

While I was waiting I decided to fix a couple little things that had been neglected...

like CV axles,

_DSC8712

I had developed a weird vibration and thought it might have been the axles since the old ones may as well not even had boots, but when the new ones didn't fix it, I had to look elsewhere...maybe here?

photo-5

_DSC8716

Yeah It looked like a good suspect, so I pulled my exhaust and driveline and sourced a new one

_DSC8718

Three weeks later, after a few phone calls and visits, I drove up and picked up the kit and got to work. I didn't take pictures during since I'm not very good at multitasking but here's some of how it finished up

_DSC8871

_DSC8864

_DSC8859

_DSC8714

_DSC8801

_DSC8805

_DSC8752

Yay! slammed and rides....like I have no travel, but I have an inch and a half...
      Maybe this is why,

photo-7

Upper control arm on subframe, and the tie rod pinched between that and the sway bar...

I called Jay at GC again (I should start getting mail there at this point) haha and he hooked up some adjustable sway bar end links to move my sway bar down to the correct angle giving my tie rod some room.

_DSC8867

Sweet...but not so fast, turns out my sway bar bent my tie rod up a bit so it was still sitting on my upper control arm, which was still sitting on my subframe.

I decided the upper control arm needed some more room no matter what, so I went to a friends friends shop with a lift and got her notched out...

photo-4

photo-3

While it was under there I got a nice look at my skid plate...might need to make a new one soon.

photo-6

with the notch, it now rides amazing and I have plenty of room to run the coils out if I wanted...which I do, but I need to drive it everyday

Oh yeah, my dad had a box of left over laminate flooring and thought it would be cool to make a little floor for my trunk, I think it turned out pretty good

photo-8

I think thats all for right now! Still dialing her in and trying to achieve max "practical" low. haha
      Instagram: @rileystair

Comment

1. I will buy your nexs off you! seriously no joke, lets do it.

2. how effing low are you? My oil pan is like .5 inch off the ground, and my frame rails are literally like 1.5 inches off the ground, and I have not had ANY of the problems your having...
        "on our way back i hit a bump and both of the springs slip off of their seats and slashed both of my front tires."

-Dane M

If your not doing this, your doing it wrong.

Comment

This thing is so rad. Well done.
          IG: ossiep

Comment

Puurrrrtyyyy. Really diggin' the trunk floor!

Of topic, but can we get some more of the truck?
            _Harrison

1997 M3

Comment

style 19s have never looked so good. that's a car that i would love to drive around.

build thread?

Comment

I love this. The wood trunk is a nice touch.

-Aron
                "Living life a quarter turn at a time"

Comment

Originally posted by Funtington View Post
                  1. I will buy your nexs off you! seriously no joke, lets do it.

2. how effing low are you? My oil pan is like .5 inch off the ground, and my frame rails are literally like 1.5 inches off the ground, and I have not had ANY of the problems your having...
                  I'm down, shoot me a PM. and I have no idea why I had all of the problems, im right around that height, maybe around 3/4 of and inch to my pan that i've raised it 5/8 of an inch, maybe my cars special? haha

Originally posted by Bronzit View Post
                  This thing is so rad. Well done.
                  Thanks man! im a huge fan of your turbo build. I'd like to do the same setup someday!

Originally posted by bobbyjones View Post
                  style 19s have never looked so good. that's a car that i would love to drive around.
                  Thanks! I just wish they were a little wider

Originally posted by OpelWagenGT View Post
                  I love this. The wood trunk is a nice touch.

-Aron
                  Just tryin to keep it classy

Originally posted by Masonbarnard View Post
                  aweeesome
                  Thanks man

Originally posted by willis View Post
                  This is such a beautiful car. I'm glad it's back in running order.

Jealous of your wheels and paint!
                  Thanks! I'm jealous of that gorgeous shaved bay of yours!

Comment

Originally posted by projekt-H View Post
                    Puurrrrtyyyy. Really diggin' the trunk floor!

Of topic, but can we get some more of the truck?
                    Of course!

My pride and joy

_DSC8612

_DSC8600

_DSC8593

_DSC8575

_DSC8883

_DSC8881

_DSC8880

and this is what it sounds like

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gII6mpEaVHU"]434 stroker SBC - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Do you have any shots of your exhaust set up? Chad Hunter on Vimeo said that its a custom dual 2.25" pipe with one cat and two twelve inch resonators. I really love the way your ride sounds.

Kennethsellspdx.com

Comment

thumbs up.

Comment

Originally posted by skaper View Post
                          Do you have any shots of your exhaust set up? Chad Hunter on Vimeo said that its a custom dual 2.25" pipe with one cat and two twelve inch resonators. I really love the way your ride sounds.
                          Thanks man I appreciate it! I looked through my computer and I couldnt find any. Im going to change my oil here in a couple days so i'll snap a shot of it while im in the pit for ya!

Originally posted by amichaels View Post
                          thumbs up.
                          We need to go on drives like we did last night more often!

Comment

Your car is looking amazing, but your truck is just insane! It sounds nuts, i love it.
                            -Rob
                            Wagon MOB
                            UsVersusThem
                            AWDfitted

Comment

Very stoked on this build. Stole 2 of my ideas. I live in Sacramento too, also have an e28. We need to get a group together.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X