1984 Mini Mayfair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Mini Mayfair

I bought my 1984 mini (I think its a mayfair but I'm not to sure) in Boston this past summer and trailered it down to my house in Long Island, NY. Since then I have been working on her trying to fix her up and working on any issues that pop up. It is RHD and a 4-speed. It has a 998cc A+ engine. I have had to replace a bunch of minor things such as windshield wiper motor, belt, discs and brake pads. several bushings, and a lot of bolts, which included a lot of fishing out bolts and re-tapping. So far here is my build starting from the beginning.

the beginning

This is the beginning of my project!

Austin Mini

in front

You can really see some of the underlying rust in the front here.

mini hiney

halos on

Came with the car. I love the way they look.

from above

final original paint

So here I have been working on the paint for a month or so doing the front, then the back, then each side, and I'm finally on my last door here. I also got some new mirrors.

final door painted temporary color

The car painted up for its temporary color. Im gonna do the real color during the springtime.

front signals

New clear glass indicators with orange bulb.

up on jacks

Im putting in new lower arms and tie-rods, all adjustable.

lower arms and tie rods
    up front

I got some new fog lights so i can see the road at night. I also got a roof rack so I can bring my bicycles around with me.

So there it is so far, I still have quite a ways to go with the rust and fixing up some of the body. I'm also putting in an RC40 exhaust system and replacing my 1-1/4" SU with a 1-1/2" SU carburetor very soon!

were you the one that got it into the country or did someone else do that?
    That Wheel Guy

Lowered Values

Comment

It's a Mayfair, judging by the badge on the grill. Which would suggest it's just an A-series engine, the A+ engine would mean it's out of an MG Metro, which I'm sure didn't get exported to America(Luckily for you!)

Looks like a nice starting point, certainly a lot less rusty than the ones over here! Looking forward to see what you do.
      Last edited by Minuki; 01-26-2012, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks! I've been trying to figure out which engine was in there. Following the engine numbers are quite frustrating and mine seemed like they could go either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Majend View Post
          were you the one that got it into the country or did someone else do that?
          I didn't, the guy who i purchased it in Boston from had it brought over in a container with some other stuff in the middle of this past summer. Ive been importing some stuff over here from minispares though.

Comment

http://vimeo.com/35485897 check out a video of it in here.

Comment

Working...
            X