1991 Mini - Project Trig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress again!

The floor took an age to dry due to the temperatures at the mo. Meant I couldn't get to work on it last night. However tonight it had finally hardened so with the day off work I got going

First thing to do was the steering rack. I had the choice of two as I bought another which I believe to be a sports pack one. Having tested them theres a 1/4 turn difference so Im not convinced however its a quarter turn less so it made the cut. It needed refurbed as the rubbers were split and the grease had all escaped, bolts were rusted solid and track rod ends had seen better days.

Had a spare refurb kit that a guy at my dads work donated to the cause after learning out his garage years ago so that was handy! After mixing and matching track rod ends from the two I got a decent steering rack together! Stripped the U bolts and painted them in silver Hammerite to protect them. Didn't repaint the rack itself as it was in pretty good nick under the grime which must have preserved it.

So here it is, all regreased, new rubbers and bolts replaced for stainless.

So with that installed I got the column in too. Got a drop bracket on it but I think I must have snapped the bolt that attaches it to the dash rail as its nowhere to be found, so its tie wrapped in place for now. This won't be the final steering wheel as I have something special in mind for that.

And with that all installed I started to tackle the wiring loom. Been dreading this but once I had it all load out side by side its actually pretty simple. Thankfully I had labelled most of the old loom as I took it out. If I hadn't done this I would have had no hope in getting it done!

At this stage I was a little worried.....

Old loom on drivers side and new loom on passenger side. Almost all done but finished up early to relax in front of the TV for a while before work all day tomorrow

Satisfying to finally get going with it!

I can see the June 2nd target being met at this rate

Comment

Time for an update!

Went out about 8 to get the floor painted in hammerite to give it a bit of added protection. What a mare of a job! Got most of it done apart from the parts where the supporting wheels are holding it up. Will have to go over it again as I know some bits are thinner than others which isnt good enough!

Not really an exciting photo but here you go.....

and seeing as I had the Hammerite out I thought I might as well get going on my other radius arm. It was covered in surface rust (as you would expect) so stripped that off with the bench wire wheel, quick rerust with the Deox Gel, degrease and then a coat of paint. Its come up really well!

Also did the hub whilst I was at it.

Also I managed to straighten out my tie bars, which were pretty out of shape as on most Minis, with my special precision impact tool (MASSIVE HAMMER)

So with these parts done thats all the suspension stuff tidied up and painted ready for subframes. Just need to get them blasted first but don't have the time/funds at the mo!

Comment

Looking good, Andy!

How'd you get on with the wiring the other night? Dreading that part...

Comment

Originally posted by Minuki View Post
          Looking good, Andy!

How'd you get on with the wiring the other night? Dreading that part...
          In a word....shite......

I got the interior stuff routed, connected etc but in order to do the engine bay stuff I need the bulkhead blanking plate painted and I didn't have paint.....so gave up to leave for another day. Wiring is tedious!!!!

Will get out to it again tonight for more Hammerite and other odds and sods

Comment

So far... really nice project!!

Comment

Great work Mr. Bean!

I love those old minis! Such a sweet little car
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by superturbodiesel.com View Post
                Great work Mr. Bean!

I love those old minis! Such a sweet little car
                Mr Bean indeed....haha!

Thanks!

Comment

Very nice, flawless paint going by the pics! Don't suppose your based in Northern Ireland, I'd have a E30 needing paint!

I've not worked on mini's but my brother restored a few over the last few yrs. It's great how you can pretty much get every panel you want for them!

Comment

Originally posted by Jozi View Post
                    Very nice, flawless paint going by the pics! Don't suppose your based in Northern Ireland, I'd have a E30 needing paint!

I've not worked on mini's but my brother restored a few over the last few yrs. It's great how you can pretty much get every panel you want for them!
                    Unfortunately for you Im not. Im based in the North East of Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by axelillo_PR View Post
                      Wow didn't look as bad in the first picture, amazing work
                      x2

Very impressive overhaul. I love old minis.

Comment

Well tomorrow I plan to get some work done on the car as its a rare occurrence I am off the same day as my dad.

In the meantime check out the third video in the series that Ive just finished off. Click on it to view in HD (recommended)

Part 3 of the series. The painting of the car by Phil Greig of Kirkton Motor Body Repair and then the return home where the car awaits rebuild. Filmed on: Canon…

Enjoy folks!

Comment

Holy...that was quite a lot of rust on it. It's coming along super nicely though, I've always loved these things!
                          '13 Civic
                          4x4 until not poor

Comment

Update! Small one but progress nonetheless!

Had a day off work and I forced myself to take advantage of the fine day and not sit inside doing uni work. Im glad I did as I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Got some supplies in (Hammerite mainly...) so got going with a few bits. I started by painting the bits I missed on the floor. turns out I hadn't missed much but it was good to top up for extra protection. No pics of this but....its a floor.....

I had the gear linkage on the bench anyway so split it all down and cleaned and painted everything. Reusing the bobbins as they were in perfect, oil covered condition :lol: I took advantage of the fine day and let them dry off outside. Didn't take long with temps hitting 21C!

and then reassembled with stainless bolts/washers throughout! I fitted it to the car and held the linkage that attaches to the gearbox with a tie wrap for now to keep it from stretching the bobbins.

Also when I was under the car I couldn't resist taking a shot of the doors reflection!

After that I took a look at my front subframe in more detail. Decided Im going to degrease it, wire brush drill it and then Deox Gel the few rusty bits and then paint it up. Its not too far gone for blasting so will see how this goes instead Should get that done tuesday/wednesday evening all going well....

So as I say, not much progress but god did it feel good to get back to work on the car!

Comment

This is coming along great, cant wait to see it all finished

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 84 Jetta Diesel

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM

Comment

Originally posted by semaj4712 View Post
                                This is coming along great, cant wait to see it all finished
                                Thanks buddy!

Comment

Working...
                                X